Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Subaru Tribeca

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 07:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default 2008 Subaru Tribeca

PRESS RELEASE :

FHI Unveils New Subaru Tribeca at the New York International Auto Show

Tokyo, April 3, 2007 – Fuji Heavy Industries Inc. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced its plan to introduce the redesigned Subaru B9 Tribeca, now named Subaru Tribeca, and to start sales in the U.S. this summer. FHI will unveil the new Tribeca (U.S. specifications) at the New York International Auto Show, which will be held from April 6 through 15. (Press days : April 4 and 5)

Advancing the concept of a progressive sports utility vehicle (SUV), the new Tribeca features powerful new styling, improved performance, enhanced comfort and functionality. Its exterior design stresses a more SUV-like appearance with a new front face design. The revamped Tribeca is equipped with a newly designed 3.6-liter boxer engine. Although larger and more powerful than the previous 3-liter engine, the new engine delivers both improved performance and fuel efficiency in real world driving situations. Design modifications in its cooling system have enabled the use of regular unleaded fuel, a change from premium only-helping to lower consumer operating costs.

Subaru Tribeca (U.S. specifications)

1. Streamlined sophisticated styling
The exterior design of the new Tribeca is streamlined and powerful, building upon the sporty and dynamic feel of its predecessor model. Interior designs express a sophisticated quality look and sportiness.

2. Outstanding performance
The new Tribeca has been developed with the goal of balancing improved performance and environmental considerations.

Without increasing the physical dimensions of the power unit, the displacement was expanded from 3.0 to 3.6 liters, which was made possible primarily through design changes involving expanded bore dimensions and a longer stroke.
The new engine maintains the same levels of emissions and fuel efficiency as the previous 3-liter unit, despite the larger engine size and more powerful output.
The new 3.6-liter boxer engine features Dual Active Valve Control System (Dual AVCS) for controlling timing in both the intake and exhaust valves, which helps provide improved low-end torque.
Design modifications made to the cooling system allow the use of regular unleaded gasoline, which contributes to lowering consumer operating costs.
A substantially revised 5-speed Automatic transmission with newly designed control unit, refined torque converter and optimized gear ratio delivers faster shifting response and smooth and powerful acceleration.
The new engine and transmission are lighter weight, achieving a total weight reduction of 4.4 kilograms.

3. Improved comfort and functionality
The new Tribeca offers a pleasant ride with improved access, visibility, and comfort.

Third row seating access has been enhanced through a number of changes. The second row seat comes with a tilt-and-slide control on both the driver's and passenger's sides and a new assist spring that reduces the effort needed to slide the second row seat. Also new are molded grab handles on the lower C-pillar to assist in stepping into the third row.
With redesigned door mirrors and rear quarter windows, side and rear vision have been improved.
Re-calibrated rear suspension with new bushings improves ride comfort.
Old 04-04-07, 07:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 04-04-07, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a refurb or redesign? Wasn't this just introduced 3-4 years ago?
Old 04-04-07, 08:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It went on sale for the first time in 2005 as a 2006 model.

I like this SUV, but those bug front lights on the current model really made me say eek.
Old 04-04-07, 08:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I am the exception here - I liked the previous weird styled one a whole lot better than this very generic Chrysler look-alike front end....
Old 04-04-07, 08:51 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not liking Subaru making their vehicles look like euro-Fords.
Old 04-04-07, 09:43 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BIG imporvment over their current model.
Old 04-04-07, 09:52 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

This looks too bland and the older one looks too weird. The right one should be in between.
Old 04-04-07, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

They went from 'funky front' to 'SubaWHO?'

It's no longer fugly but it's forgettable too.
Old 04-04-07, 11:57 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much improved.
Old 04-04-07, 12:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You've got to be kidding me. The front looks like a Chrysler now, and the rear more like a Hyundai.

While the previous design was ugly, at least it was unique.

I don't like this facelift at all .
Old 04-04-07, 12:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i just got adjusted to Tribeca, and now it is uglier than ever...

BUT... it will probably sell well.. same reason why ultra-ugly Highlander sells well...
Old 04-04-07, 01:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i just got adjusted to Tribeca, and now it is uglier than ever...

BUT... it will probably sell well.. same reason why ultra-ugly Highlander sells well...
But the Highlander still looks like a Toyota. It's hard to mistake it for another make. The new Tribeca can easily be mistaken for a Chrysler or Hyundai. At least in the exterior, it's lost almost all of it's Subaru styling identity.
Old 04-04-07, 03:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
But the Highlander still looks like a Toyota. It's hard to mistake it for another make. The new Tribeca can easily be mistaken for a Chrysler or Hyundai. At least in the exterior, it's lost almost all of it's Subaru styling identity.
looking at new impreza, i dont know if I like that indentity of theirs... it is more of... "we dont really know what we want" type thing.
Old 04-04-07, 03:49 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Subaru has fixed the most egregious styling features of the Tribeca - and while they were at it, installed a competitive power plant. The only remaining problem (for me) is size; its and mine. I parked next to one of these yesterday and it looked like the lifeboat for my RX. For smaller people, this thing should be a bigger hit than it has been. With the cosmetic fix (admittedly a little dull) it deserves a real shot at the market.

Quick Reply: 2008 Subaru Tribeca