Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production BMW M3 revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 04:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UberNoob
be aware that this V8 engine is lighter than most of the V6's out there!!!

so its understandable that it does 290 ft.lbs of torque as long as the car is light enuf to be moving nimbly
i think this M3 will be lighter than IS-F until lexus does an IS-F carbon fibre light edition

btw since u wanted to get into the details, its ft*lbs for the units of the torque, not lbs/ft
I am no engineer but it will lose some balance. That is why BMW sticks (stuck) to I-6s. Moving to a V-8, even if it weighs less, fits much differently.

In 1984 or so, when the E30 M3 came out with an I-4, would they have thought almost 25 years later it would double cylinder count! Wow.

Old 04-04-07, 04:45 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
btw since u wanted to get into the details, its ft*lbs for the units of the torque, not lbs/ft
actually it is (not its) measured in pound-force foot (lbf*ft) and the rest of the world use N.m.
Old 04-04-07, 06:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

More pictures from Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...-m3-coupe.html

Source: Car And Driver

2008 BMW M3 Coupe - Car News

1 | 2
To know it is to love it, and to speak its name is to want it. We’re talking about—what else?—BMW’s mid-size monster, the M3.
BY ERIK JOHNSON, April 2007

The M3’s story is well known. The mid-size terror first debuted here in 1987 with a four-cylinder under its hood and a massive wing on its trunk, serving as the E30 3-series–derived homologation special for German touring-car racing. It had a unique decklid, rear glass, fenders, and, well, just about everything else. That first M3 dominated racing series around the globe and, along with its six-cylinder E36- and E46-based successors, turned BMW’s M Division into the place to go for ultimate performance from the showroom floor. In short, the M3 became an icon.

Now BMW’s taking the M3 to a whole new level.

The latest M3 is powered for the first time by a V-8, a 4.0-liter unit derived from the 5.0-liter V-10 found in the M5 supersedan as well as the M6 coupe and convertible. The 90-degree eight-holer will make 414 hp at 8300 rpm—redline is only 100 rpm further up the tach; this thing is gonna wail—and 295 lb-ft of torque at 3900 rpm, and it boasts the usual top-shelf technologies like double-VANOS variable valve timing and individual throttles for each cylinder. The V-8 shares the V-10’s bore and stroke, 12.0:1 compression ratio, and aluminum and magnesium construction. The crankcase is made from an aluminum/silicon alloy, and exposed silicon in each cylinder mitigates friction well enough to not require separate sleeves, saving weight. The entire engine actually weighs—thanks to the lightweight materials and weight-saving measures like that mentioned above—33 pounds less than the E46 M3’s iron-block inline-six, and it should push the new M3 to 62 mph in around 4.8 seconds. With a mill this advanced, it’s not surprising that the block comes from the same foundry that supplies BMW with its Formula 1 engines.

Unlike the M5, where a conventional six-speed manual was offered only after M fans freaked out, a six-speed stick will be the standard transmission for the M3; a dual-clutch, VW/Audi DSG–style automated manual will likely be an option later. BMW’s variable differential—with up to 100 percent lockup—keeps the power heading to the ground. The M3 will have, like the M5, a “Power” button located next to the shifter. It won’t unleash an extra 100 ponies as in the big supersedan, though, but will rather increase throttle response and quicken the steering rate for the Active Steering system—think of it more as a Sport button than one that actually delivers more power. The M3 will also offer BMW’s Electronic Damper Control, which serves up three suspension settings, each more hard-core than the last. The M3 defaults all systems at start-up to the softest, least bad-*** settings, but an “M” button on the steering wheel can store your favorites. Weight stands at 3483 pounds, according to BMW, an increase of 70 or so pounds over the outgoing model, but we’d say the extra 81 hp more than makes up for the excess fat. Stopping the M3 will be 14.2-inch discs in the front and 13.8-inchers in the back, all ventilated and cross-drilled.

BMW showed the M3 Concept at this year’s Geneva auto show, and, as expected, the actual car looks barely different. The unpainted carbon fiber roof is there—we can’t wait to see it on a white car—and so are the side vents with LED lights, the flared fenders, and the power bulge in the aluminum hood. The concept’s 19-inch wheels have shrunk to 18-inches, but you can be pretty sure that BMW Accessories will allow you to swap right back when you spec your personal M3. Some of the other M3-specific stuff includes the gaping front fascia, the aggressive rear end with quad tailpipes, and the dual-vaned side mirrors. In fact, all this car shares externally with the E92 coupe upon which it’s based are the headlamps, taillamps, trunklid, doors, and glass. In addition to the coupe, we’ve also seen spy shots of an M3 sedan and a hardtop M3 convertible. Our sources peg the M3’s release at sometime next February or March, and the price around $60,000—or about $10K more than the last M3 coupe. But with that sweet V-8 stuffed between the fenders and advanced technology crammed into every nook and cranny, we’d call that a fair deal, especially considering the fact that an M5 will suck more than $83,000 from your piggy bank.

There’s no doubt that this latest M3 has what it takes to deliver the goods—on paper, at least. The question is whether the M3 will be a cold, overtechnologied machine, like the current M5, or whether it’ll turn out to be a hoot-a-minute bottle rocket with personality coming out of its tailpipes, like the original E30 M3. The truth likely lies somewhere in between, but we can’t wait to get behind the wheel to find out.

Last edited by STIG; 04-04-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 06:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

This picture isn't so bad.

or this

Old 04-04-07, 06:44 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's not what I meant. Specifically define "benchmark" in the context of the M3. How exactly is it a benchmark? And what is it a benchmark in?

In terms of being a benchmark OVERALL, that it is not. On interior alone, it alreadly loses out to the IS-F and RS4.
How would you know? Have you driven one?

Unless RS4 and IS-F beats M3 in a comparison, your comment and my comment are totally off base.

This M3 with MDM will most likely be even more tossable than the last M3.

290lb of torque is low. So what. It's not an automatic. Keep it in the power band, it would still smoke a lot of car on the street.

Learn to drive once a while.
Old 04-04-07, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chiawei
How would you know? Have you driven one?

Unless RS4 and IS-F beats M3 in a comparison, your comment and my comment are totally off base.

This M3 with MDM will most likely be even more tossable than the last M3.

290lb of torque is low. So what. It's not an automatic. Keep it in the power band, it would still smoke a lot of car on the street.

Learn to drive once a while.
1. Do you only post in BMW threads on Clublexus?
2. No personal attacks "learn to drive once a while" is not necessary.

Old 04-04-07, 07:03 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice!! but 420Hp and only 290 Torque?? Well, the max HP doesn't come in till 8000 RPM......
I was hoping there should be more torque from the V8.
Those power numbers almost seems like they took 2 honda 4 bangers and put them together doesnt it?
Old 04-04-07, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Those power numbers almost seems like they took 2 honda 4 bangers and put them together doesnt it?
The new M cars don't have the low end grunt of AMG cars but they are just highway beasts as the car continues to rev, an AMG or Lexus would have to shift with its lower redline.

Different approaches by different companies. I am sure this car will fly.

Let me also add, IMO the 3 and M3 are still "benchmarks". Audi, Benz, Lexus all I am sure chose the E46 M3 as the standard to beat.

Old 04-04-07, 07:23 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The new M cars don't have the low end grunt of AMG cars but they are just highway beasts as the car continues to rev, an AMG or Lexus would have to shift with its lower redline.

Different approaches by different companies. I am sure this car will fly.

Let me also add, IMO the 3 and M3 are still "benchmarks". Audi, Benz, Lexus all I am sure chose the E46 M3 as the standard to beat.
Thats exactly why I think BMW will be Low Balling them on the HP figures. So far they have been underestimating.

Funny thing I was thing about was that thats a 4.0 V8 hummmmm ? Wonder what ours would do with a good intake, Cams, exhaust ports spinning 8300K RPM's.
Old 04-04-07, 07:36 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgscott
Wonder what ours would do with a good intake, Cams, exhaust ports spinning 8300K RPM's.

Old 04-04-07, 07:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_

and this guy goes

ok back on topic.
Old 04-04-07, 07:59 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
First, I found this statement contradicting itself.

Now, get back to your original question. (ff, may I.) A benchmark doesn't necessarily has to be the best in what it's trying to be compared or judged with. It only has to have a consistent reputation of solid records. An M3 may not be the best in its segment (entry level sports GT) in some people's mind, but we hardly hear anybody saying "This car is better than the RS4" or "Compare to the legendery IS-F" or "it's going to take away the crown from the AMG C-class". Everybody is using M3 as the measuring stick, because that's the one car everybody is going after, trying to build a better car than what BMW can build.
VERY good point. I agree
Old 04-04-07, 08:14 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I like it!
Old 04-04-07, 09:27 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
When I saw the E46 M3 pictures for the first time, I was literally blow away how good the car looked back in the days. Long Live E46 M3! Still my favorite BMW to this day.

This E92 production pictures tho, underwhelmed me. I was actually very impressed after seeing the concept pictures. But what the hell happened here.

I agree with 1SICK. BMW guys will have tough time clowning the hood budge on IS-F, and quad exhaust. They have it worse, much worse, IMHO. LOL!
1st. E46 M3 already have the bulge on the hood. E92 simply added intake inlet on the hood. So what make E92 bulge less tolerable than E46's bulge?

2nd. IS-F's bulge is very bad. Look at the side profile.

Look at E92 M side profile

I don't think E92 M3 is that good looking car (don't like the front air dam and rear diffuser just looks bad).

But IS-F's nose just looks weird from the side.

Out of three car. I think the RS4 looks the best.
Old 04-04-07, 09:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

So is the CF roof standard??

Looks okay. Like the regular 3-series coupe more though.

Not feeling the dark rims. Completely tired of that trend. Definitely looks more Japanese this go around with all the buldges and vents.

Quick Reply: Production BMW M3 revealed