Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which compact SUV would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 11:42 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 01 CRV.. it's very reliable. only 1 major problem was the AC Comp died. CRV shares the AC comp with the Civic and they are known to go bad early. The CRV could use a little more power but I feel it has adequate power. Its ride is surprisingly comfortable comparing to the Rav 4 which is on the rough side. Can't go wrong with either one. However, both seem to be equally noisy.
Old 04-04-07, 11:46 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

btw everyone, im talking about brand new cars/models not used
they dont want an used car this time
Old 04-05-07, 04:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

My grandparents bought a CR-V a few years ago (previous model, obviously), and they love it. If you can still find an Escape Hybrid, they're tremendously reliable (Toyota hybrid system) and get pretty darn good gas mileage. Added bonus is the resale on them is RIDICULOUS. 2 year old examples with 40k miles are going for $2500 under sticker. My uncle's had one of them for going on 3 years now with no problems. They're quite happy with it.
Old 04-05-07, 06:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I would also take the RAV4, but one friend actually ended up getting a Forester instead. In Mexico, they do not sell the V6 Rav4 nor the Turbo Forester.
Old 04-05-07, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Most of those vehicles on the original list you posted would be a good choice, except for the Jetta and the two Jeeps. I would look first at the Subaru Forester or Outback...the Outback, IMO drives better than any of them. The Jetta has poor-quality electronics and the two Jeeps...Compass and Patriot, are, IMO, poorly built and have very poor fit-and-finish. The Compass, in addition, being just a rebadged Dodge Caliber, is not a real Jeep...it is not Trail Rated. Some versions of the Patriot are, some aren't.
Old 04-05-07, 09:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The CR-V is a solid little wagon with awesome reliability and plenty of interior space for a compact. Actually with the introduction of the current model, the CR-V has moved up to mid-sized status. While styling is a matter of taste, fit and finish of the Honda are among the best in their segment.

Don't be put off by the 166 hp 4-cyl and automatic, they actually work quite well, particularly in urban/suburban service - and they do it all without complaint on regular gas. Out on the highway, you might wish for a bigger engine, but unless your friends are planning a number of extensive road trips or towing a trailer in the next few months, the best bang for the buck is at your Honda dealer.
Old 04-05-07, 10:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Throw the Suzuki Grand Vitara in the mix as well.. Very nice (Assembled in Japan)cute ute.
Old 04-05-07, 10:21 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
1. it must be an SUV to give her a good view of the road
2. it must have awesome fuel efficiency
3. it has to be reliable and easy to maintain
4. prefers a lift gate as dont have to worry about parking too close to someone else
It depends on what you mean by awesome fuel economy and good view of the road. I like the 2007 Honda CR-V, which has good mileage, good view with optional rear camera, and a lift gate in back. Another possibility would be the Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX400h hybrids (with rear camera option). You didn't mention cost as one of the criteria.
Old 04-05-07, 10:22 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Rav 4. No doubt about it.
Old 04-05-07, 12:25 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven the Mazda CX-7? Possibly their best car next to the Miata. It drives like a car and is pretty quick.
Old 04-05-07, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Have you driven the Mazda CX-7? Possibly their best car next to the Miata. It drives like a car and is pretty quick.
An OK vehicle ( I recently reviewed it ) but overstyled and too much of a jelly bean compared to the Tribute. The Tribute, with its more squared-off lines, was much better looking, and its interior and exterior hardware was better as well.
Old 04-05-07, 02:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well seeing how my family has owned 4 Toyotas, I'll go with the RAV4. It's very spacious, tons of room for the family (recline the back seat and push it all the way back and you might as well be in a limo). If you go for the 5-seat option, there's TONS of cargo space (including a large bin under the floor). The swing-out tailgate allows a low loading floor plus if the wife is not too tall, it's easier to close a swing-out tailgate than to jump for a lift-up tailgate.

The bad part is the way Toyota Canada packages the RAV4. You pretty much have to spend $38k for side/side curtain airbags (V6 Limited).

If safety's a big concern, then a CR-V may work as a good alternative. It doesn't have a V6 so it's a bit more efficient. Loaded, it's about $38k with nav. Without it I think it's $34k (EX-L)? It is small so parking might be easier?

I had no problems reversing the RAV4 from the Rmd Auto Mall's main road all the way into the dealer's parking lot (cause I didn't want to make a u-turn inside the dealer's lot so it was easier to back into the lot itself all the way to the parking spot).

If they're not too picky about companies, then give the Escape Hybrid a shot. I've test driven that as well. As a hybrid, it's a very good vehicle. As an SUV, well.. it's an Escape so the interior isn't anything to rave about but I give the system a thumbs-up (this coming from a Prius owner).

The new Outlander is another option. Brand new this year and Mitsu's 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty is tempting. Never tried it though so I can't comment on how it drives.

Lastly, Ubernoob, check out Driving Television's Compact SUV comparison for more info.
Old 04-05-07, 03:06 PM
kit cat

used Audi? unless he needs the departure angel....
I liked the FX and new Outlander personally. I didnt like the Rav4 interior at all.

just my 2cents
Old 04-06-07, 04:11 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

unfortunately, their previous experience gambling with an used car didnt pay off
so they wont risk it this time and decided to get a new car instead

Grand Vitara is a good suggestion
ill look into it now

thanks for the suggestion for the Driving Television's review
i dont trust Zack Spencer though, hes such a money grabber... lol

i guess the tribute is worth looking at too
so what cars would you put on the list based on my friend's priorities
and which ones would you recommend most important for test drives, i dont think they have the time to visit every dealership there is
prob only 4 or 5 dealerships at max
Old 04-07-07, 11:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
unfortunately, their previous experience gambling with an used car didnt pay off
so they wont risk it this time and decided to get a new car instead

Grand Vitara is a good suggestion
ill look into it now

thanks for the suggestion for the Driving Television's review
i dont trust Zack Spencer though, hes such a money grabber... lol

i guess the tribute is worth looking at too
so what cars would you put on the list based on my friend's priorities
and which ones would you recommend most important for test drives, i dont think they have the time to visit every dealership there is
prob only 4 or 5 dealerships at max
Ya well at least you have another set of opinions lol.

At the automall, you can test drive more than 4 or 5 haha.. although you'll probably be dead tired by then. A back-to-back test drive is pretty effective cause it's still fresh in your mind and you can make mental notes and still remember them.

The Tribute.. well this time Ford decided to take over the redesigning and.. umm... let's just say it's decidedly American in style :\.

I'm just gonna copy their criteria here so I don't have to keep flipping back and forth

1. it must be an SUV to give her a good view of the road
2. it must have awesome fuel efficiency
3. it has to be reliable and easy to maintain
4. prefers a lift gate as dont have to worry about parking too close to someone else

Hmm... these are my suggestions in order of importance based on the above criteria:

CR-V
RAV4 4 cylinder
Compass
Forester
Outback
VUE 2.2 litre

Actually, you know what? Give the new Suzuki SX-4 a shot. The seating is very high for a small car (you pretty much slide in), it has optional AWD with locking diffs (IIRC), it has a peppy 2.0 litre engine and it's reasonably priced and definitely cheaper than the SUVs above. It also has optional ESP for extra safety. Fully loaded, it's $24,690 for a JLX, auto, AWD, ESP.

sorry for the long post. You just read my thought process lol.