Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is L-Finesse boring or refined?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 12:30 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I don't really see what L-Finesse is on all the Lexus's vehicles.....But I say the new LS, GS, and IS look pretty nice, RX looks good as well. The rest look weird.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 04-05-07 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 12:31 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both, boring and refined. Boring to drive, refined to drive. Looks are a little in between IMO.
Old 04-05-07, 01:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

L-finesse is a fancy name for Lexus' theme. I'm not really sold on it. To me, a car should be designed to fit its purpose. If you're going to design a sports sedan, make it look like one. If you're going to design an SUV, make it look like one. Dont throw all that jibberish design across the board. I agree that they need to look somewhat similar as a brand, but if the car looked fabulous from the start, I would have recognized the brand already.
Old 04-05-07, 01:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
...L finesse is good but forgettable......
I have to agree. In certain ways I prefer the design of my 2nd gen GS over my current GS. At least the 2nd gen had a "love it or hate it" design, whereas the 3rd gen plays it very conservative.

Based on looks alone, I prefer the styling of the current MB line over the Lexus line by a large margin. Hopefully, the second generation of L-Finesse vehicles will be a bit more visually exciting.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 04-05-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 02:32 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Gotham

I know Lexus has the mindset that Lfinnesse accross the board will create a stronger brand idenitity, but those that don't like the design language might not like the entire Lexus line.
And this is whats happening to me.. Aside from the SC theres no other car to turn to and as a result Lexus is slowly being phased out of my garage. Just think a few years ago I had all Lexus product (GS/LS/LX)
Old 04-05-07, 02:51 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Toyota has been known for being too conservative.
Old 04-05-07, 03:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotham
I know Lexus has the mindset that Lfinnesse accross the board will create a stronger brand idenitity, but those that don't like the design language might not like the entire Lexus line.
Very well said - this is exactly the way I feel. I used to LOVE every single Lexus model, except GX and ES, but not I don't really care for any model except the remaining LX, RX and SC that didn't get bastardized with this L-finesse crap. Not to say that I hate the new models, no, they aren't tacky like bangled BMW or overly flashy like new MB, but they are nowhere near as clean as Audis.
Old 04-05-07, 04:50 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Having just seen the new LX570 I have to say I don't like the styling direction Lexus is taking. All the new Lexus vehicles look too similar. No offense to anyone but the GS, ES, and LS look like each other while the flagship LS has little presence on the road. I wish they looked more distinctive.
Old 04-05-07, 05:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would like to suggest, once again, that L-finesse not be given a bad name because of the LX's shortcomings. I have a strong hunch that L-finesse was not a major player in the LX's design.

Frankly if you go to Lexus.jp and examine their L-finesse treatise, it's hard to apply much of any of it to the LX, while you can definitely see it in the IS/GS/LS.
Old 04-05-07, 06:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I love the L Finesse on my 2IS, 3GS, LS460, and I go WTF on the new LX!
Old 04-05-07, 09:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who says the IS, ES, and LS look the same?

I don't know how anyone can say these two "look the same"...

Old 04-05-07, 09:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Having just seen the new LX570 I have to say I don't like the styling direction Lexus is taking. All the new Lexus vehicles look too similar. No offense to anyone but the GS, ES, and LS look like each other while the flagship LS has little presence on the road. I wish they looked more distinctive.
and why is this bad, you instantly know its a lexus, and that brand identity is already working as intended if you immediately know a car you see for an instant is a lexus without even taking a second look

and some people that are part of a lexus forum and still have trouble identifying the different models of the current L-Finesse, I dont know what to say, I can identify them easily

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-05-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 09:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Show off Phil! Stop showing off to those who are less fortunate.

btw, you parking skill isn't that great

Anyhow, I don't think IS and LS look alike at all.

But once, I was driving at around 10ish at night were there was very little street lights, and I thought I saw LS in my rear view mirror but turns out to be an ES. That was only one time I had mistaken ES with LS. Keep in mind that I have 5% tint in the back too. haha
Old 04-05-07, 09:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The parking in your condo isn't that great, & neither is your parking , I hope you didn't use the self-park LOL

Yeah I have no problem telling the ES/IS/LS apart in an instant, except possibly in the dark, but you can confuse a lot of cars in the dark . . .
Old 04-05-07, 10:13 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I must say they look damn good together. And yeah some people will always see what they want to see. Now that I got that out of the way....,,

L-finesse for me is just subtle touches that Lexus has decided to implement across the board. And to be honest I like it, though I wish they were still a little less conservative. Funny thing is though the current SC is the "oldest" design in Lexus stable, they actually have L-finesse front ends.

Audi, to me is a great example of how a relatively conservative company who has recently taken risks with their bold new designs. By doing this they are capturing a new audience without alienating their core.

Quick Reply: Is L-Finesse boring or refined?