Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 08:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for the input Mmarshall.

We have now decided we will pick up a used Civic, unless we can find a Matrix still under warranty in the same price range as the Civic's below.

Here are two I have narrowed it down to:

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...0&adid=5986058

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...0&adid=5954217

Other than the alloy rims on the second one, they seem to be identical in options. The one with the alloy rims is more expensive by $1K.

We'll test drive them tomorrow.
Old 04-07-07, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
The other thing that bothers me about the Yaris is the speedometer/gauge placement. The person that decided it was a good idea to put the gauge cluser in the middle of the dash...should be shot. It should be in front of the driver's eyes, not somewhere that you need to turn your head 75° in order to see. That's just stupid.

Several vehicles have this...the Yaris, Scion xA / xB, Saturn Ion, and the first-generation Nissan Quest.

The reason, despite vehement denials from the manufacturers (yes, they DO lie sometimes), is money. Placing the gauge pod in the middle of the dash lowers production costs by eliminating the need to have two separate dash and gauge packages for left and right-hand drive versions......right-hand drive versions, of course, being needed for the British, Australian, and Japanese home markets.
The manufacturers try to cover this up by claiming that the center-mount gauge package is easier for drivers to see at a glance by not having to take their eyes off the road by looking down. I'm not convinced.......IMO, that is public-relations B.S. In truth, it is pure and simple cost-cutting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-07-07, 09:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The reason, despite vehement denials from the manufacturers (yes, they DO lie sometimes), is money.

[...]

IMO, that is public-relations B.S. In truth, it is pure and simple cost-cutting.
I agree. Which is even more reason to lambaste the mfg's for doing it. Putting cost reasons ahead of usability and safety tells me a lot about a company's intentions. Like, where else did they cut corners and costs?

The MINI has a center-mounted speedo too, but at least they have the option of getting a speedo and tach mounted where it should go (you have to buy the car with NAV, though).
Old 04-07-07, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I agree. Which is even more reason to lambaste the mfg's for doing it. Putting cost reasons ahead of usability and safety tells me a lot about a company's intentions. Like, where else did they cut corners and costs?

The MINI has a center-mounted speedo too, but at least they have the option of getting a speedo and tach mounted where it should go (you have to buy the car with NAV, though).
Yes, the Mini does, but unlike the other vehicles and manufacturers I mentioned, it seems to be more of an attempt to keep the styling, personality, and features of the original one, rather than just to pinch pennies. And the center-mount speedometer on the new one is SO big that you can practically see it without turning your head....it would be impractical to cram something that big behind the steering wheel.