Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 12:56 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?

What is the invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?

My DD died yesterday and I want to buy a new gas miser and the Yaris 4 door sedan tops my list.

Anyone know where I can find the invoice price on this car, and the following possible choices:

Toyota Matrix XR B Package
Mazda 3 Sedan
Honda Civic 4-door sedan
Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Hyundai Elantra 4-door sedan
Old 04-06-07, 02:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyota/yaris/index.html
Old 04-06-07, 02:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyo...on=1&x=96&y=18

On the second though, you live in Canada. So I am not sure if it's the same (after converting the currency)
Old 04-06-07, 03:02 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
What is the invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?

My DD died yesterday and I want to buy a new gas miser and the Yaris 4 door sedan tops my list.

Anyone know where I can find the invoice price on this car, and the following possible choices:

Toyota Matrix XR B Package
Mazda 3 Sedan
Honda Civic 4-door sedan
Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Hyundai Elantra 4-door sedan
Hameed, try Car Cost Canada. I think you sign up for a membership, and that allows you 3 "invoices" for new cars. Definitely worth the investment since it could potentially save you thousands of dollars.

In addition, don't forget to check into the new green car incentive program that is being offered by the Government. I believe the Yaris will get you a $1000 rebate. I'm sure the TDI is also on that list.

Green Car Rebate HERE
Old 04-06-07, 05:06 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

On a personal note. If you are looking for value, fuel efficiency, and reliability, the Honda Civic is hard to beat! You won't get as good fuel mileage as the Yaris, however with the Civic you will get more interior room and a better fit and finish. Not to mention the Civic's fuel economy is still pretty good!
Old 04-06-07, 07:45 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

I'd go with an 02-05 Civic SiR hatch (Si hatch in the US), or a base/premium RSX. The lower output K20 sips regular fuel, offers the most power out of the economy cars and comparable fuel economy. I prefer the SiR because it's not common and it's designed to be a driver's car.

The other car I'd throw into the mix is the Honda Fit. It probably has the closest fuel economy to the Yaris, as they're both powered by 1.5 L engines.

I'll add that my friend who swore by his DD Echo sedan was really let down by the new Yaris when his lease came to an end. His complaints were primarily in the cramped driver's seat and new layout. He opted for a Corolla. He did say his dad's Matrix offers great fuel economy, but don't expect the AWD version to be as good as the FWD version.

Are you going with an auto or stick? If auto, the 5-speed in the Civic will be hard to beat in terms of gas mileage. Most gas misers take a big hit in fuel economy going from the 5-speed manual to 4-speed auto. The VW also offers a 6-speed auto and one of the best fuel cost savings, but is no Corolla in terms of reliability. I'm sure it'll do you fine though.

Keep us in the loop.
Old 04-07-07, 05:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Hameed, try Car Cost Canada. I think you sign up for a membership, and that allows you 3 "invoices" for new cars. Definitely worth the investment since it could potentially save you thousands of dollars.

In addition, don't forget to check into the new green car incentive program that is being offered by the Government. I believe the Yaris will get you a $1000 rebate. I'm sure the TDI is also on that list.

Green Car Rebate HERE
Thanks bro!

I will definitely check it out.

I am now leaning more towards a used Matrix, Civic etc

It has to be a 4-door as my wife who drives much more than I do in the city will be using this car. For the very short drives to the GO station that I do, I will use her car now - 97 Maxima.

In the Maxima our monthly gas bill is over $200 and we want to drop that down by having her (she does the major driving) drive a more fuel efficient car.

MY DD was a Neon, but it was in such rough shape I didn't want her to drive it and get stranded somewhere.
Old 04-07-07, 05:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Lubs
I'd go with an 02-05 Civic SiR hatch (Si hatch in the US), or a base/premium RSX. The lower output K20 sips regular fuel, offers the most power out of the economy cars and comparable fuel economy. I prefer the SiR because it's not common and it's designed to be a driver's car.
Good suggestions Lubs, but I have to stick to a 4-door as my wife will be using the car. Having 2 boys dictates that.
The other car I'd throw into the mix is the Honda Fit. It probably has the closest fuel economy to the Yaris, as they're both powered by 1.5 L engines.
But I can't think of a more ugly car!

I'll add that my friend who swore by his DD Echo sedan was really let down by the new Yaris when his lease came to an end. His complaints were primarily in the cramped driver's seat and new layout. He opted for a Corolla. He did say his dad's Matrix offers great fuel economy, but don't expect the AWD version to be as good as the FWD version.
Yes, good point about the Yaris. I am more leaning towards a used Matrix FWD now.

Are you going with an auto or stick? If auto, the 5-speed in the Civic will be hard to beat in terms of gas mileage. Most gas misers take a big hit in fuel economy going from the 5-speed manual to 4-speed auto. The VW also offers a 6-speed auto and one of the best fuel cost savings, but is no Corolla in terms of reliability. I'm sure it'll do you fine though.

Keep us in the loop.
It has to be auto. Wife is not interested in stick....
Old 04-07-07, 06:10 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I'd look closely at the Civic. It has an unbelieveable amount of interior room, handles well, and sips gas. We own an '06 Si sedan, and even with the shorter gearing and higher-strung engine, we still turn 30+ in town, and 35 on the highway. The LX/DX/EX is going to do even better.
Old 04-07-07, 06:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by ff_
I'd look closely at the Civic. It has an unbelieveable amount of interior room, handles well, and sips gas. We own an '06 Si sedan, and even with the shorter gearing and higher-strung engine, we still turn 30+ in town, and 35 on the highway. The LX/DX/EX is going to do even better.
Thanks, definitely going to check out the Civic as well as the Matrix. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two cars.
Old 04-07-07, 06:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Are the used Civic Hybrids good buys?

There is only one listed locally and it is over 4 years old - http://trader.ca/powerpage/details.a...3&adid=5685791
Old 04-07-07, 06:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

probably not... if the price is the same, i would get new Yaris before any of the used cars... It rides good and gets better mpg.
Old 04-07-07, 07:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 6sp 04 Matrix XRS and it's pretty good on gas.
Old 04-07-07, 07:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably not... if the price is the same, i would get new Yaris before any of the used cars... It rides good and gets better mpg.
I'm not sure that I would, personally. The Yaris is a no-frills cheapy that does only one thing reasonably well: MPG. And even at that, the Yaris' MPG estimates are basically the same as the Civic's. Wait, in fact, the Civic sedan automatic trans actually gets better highway mileage than the Yaris. if that doesn't seal the deal, I don't know what does.

Otherwise, I think your money is better spent buying a slightly used Civic or Matrix. Let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.

The other thing that bothers me about the Yaris is the speedometer/gauge placement. The person that decided it was a good idea to put the gauge cluser in the middle of the dash...should be shot. It should be in front of the driver's eyes, not somewhere that you need to turn your head 75° in order to see. That's just stupid.

Old 04-07-07, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can find the exact invoice, of course, so much the better, but even without it, for this class of vehicle (entry level / subcompact), you can get a rough idea of what the dealer paid by figuring about 92% of the base price, 88-90% of the price of the options, and adding in the freight......most small cars have, on the average (Saturn Ion excepted), about an 8% mark-up, with 10-12% on options). This will give you the rough dealer cost, although it will not tell you any holdback money the dealer gets or manufacturer incentives.....they are a separate matter. Usually, incentives are given to the customer directly, not the dealer....holdback money is given to the dealer.

Larger and more expensive vehicles generally have more of a mark-up on both the base price and options, so, incentives aside and all other things equal, there is generally more room for the dealership to bargain and discount than with smaller cars.

Of course, market conditions can come into play, too. A hot-selling vehicle in high demand and short supply will often bring a higher selling price regardless of dealer cost. Although I have seen a few dealerships that don't believe in price-gouging, even on hot-selling cars (they place customer satisfaction first, above high profits), in general, dealerships will charge what the market will bear...or what they think they can get. You can often get a better deal as a repeat customer or if you know the salesperson from previous exprience than if you are using the dealership for the first time...for example, I know many people in the buisness, both from my own car shopping, reviews, and that which I have done with others.

And, in most cases, don't believe TV, radio, or newspaper dealer ads with the silly music and booming voices......most of them are in insult to an ape's intelligence, much less that of a human being.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-07 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Invoice price on a new Toyota Yaris?