Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Institute Survey: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Lexus + Mercedes (tie)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 03:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Luxury Institute Survey: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Lexus + Mercedes (tie)

http://www.sys-con.com/read/358481.htm

NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 04/05/07 -- For the second straight year, Porsche earned the top score as the most prestigious luxury automobile brand in the 2007 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey from the independent New York-based Luxury Institute. Mercedes and Lexus tied for second place; BMW was rated third.
Porsche retains #1, Lexus moves up from #3 to tie Mercedes...

Survey methodology:
A national sample of over 1,600 wealthy American consumers, with an average income of $313K, and average net worth of $3.3 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are weighted to match demographic and net worth profiles of the same audience according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.
Basically a multimillionaire's club only survey...
Old 04-06-07, 03:37 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not what I would've expected from the results. I expect the super wealthy to drive MBZ/BMW/Exotics/Bentley/etc. more often than a Lexus. How many of the Rich and Famous drive a Lexus? You don't see any on MTV's "Cribs" either.
Old 04-06-07, 03:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Hehe, well research shows that the actual multimillionaires in the US are more low-key than the bling-bling celebs you see on MTV Cribs. Still, they like prestigious brands--Louis Vuitton, Rolex, etc. And they recommend Lexus.
Old 04-06-07, 04:01 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that is true. I'm willing to bet a large percentage of the millionaires are more frugal with their money (hence why they are wealthy). Still, I expected them to be in MBZ. In my part of California (OC), more millionaires seem to drive MBZ. I'm basing this on where their houses and where they live. It's hard to tell who's a millionaire by what they drive, it's easier to tell by the house they own.
Old 04-06-07, 04:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well OC is supposedly the only county left in the nation where Mercedes still outsells Lexus. But with Newport Lexus open and other increases occurring, the market is going to get even more competitive.

Actually though research suggests that most multimillionaires own 2 or more cars, so there's room for Porsche for the weekends and a Lexus or Mercedes or some other brand for the daily driver.

It's pretty amazing how far Lexus has risen up the pack. In 2005, the tops were Benz-Porsche-BMW-Jaguar and Lexus jumped in for 2006 and now up in 2007.
Old 04-06-07, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Big news for Lexus from a prestige standpoint. A 150k LF-A sounding feasible!

Old 04-06-07, 05:13 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
Well OC is supposedly the only county left in the nation where Mercedes still outsells Lexus. But with Newport Lexus open and other increases occurring, the market is going to get even more competitive.

Actually though research suggests that most multimillionaires own 2 or more cars, so there's room for Porsche for the weekends and a Lexus or Mercedes or some other brand for the daily driver.

It's pretty amazing how far Lexus has risen up the pack. In 2005, the tops were Benz-Porsche-BMW-Jaguar and Lexus jumped in for 2006 and now up in 2007.
Interesting info, good to know. I do see more Lexus on the road today than I did only a couple of years ago. I see quite a few new LS460s here as well.
Old 04-06-07, 05:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Yes, that is true. I'm willing to bet a large percentage of the millionaires are more frugal with their money (hence why they are wealthy). Still, I expected them to be in MBZ. In my part of California (OC), more millionaires seem to drive MBZ. I'm basing this on where their houses and where they live. It's hard to tell who's a millionaire by what they drive, it's easier to tell by the house they own.
Yes, its very noteworthy that many rich people here in Orange County aren't even into cars. Sure, Porsches and other prestigious marquees are a dime a dozen but many of these rich people also drive more mundane vehicles such as Camry's and such. If you go down to Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach where harbor-front homes go for up to 20 million dollars, you see Lexus RX's and Camrys allover parked on their driveways too. Also, another really popular car for the rich down in Newport and neighboring upper-class enclaves is the Prius. It is not uncommon in Newport Beach to find a Prius parked in a driveway of a harbor-front house with a 40 foot yatch docked on the other side of the house.
Old 04-06-07, 05:26 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was already posted the average American millionare drives a Toyota (not Lexus)
Old 04-06-07, 05:37 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I'm guessing the LS600hL had something to do with this
surprising and somewhat shocking result. It has been stated
by quite a few publications that this car has been generating
quite a buzz in priviledged circles.
Old 04-06-07, 05:48 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I'm guessing the LS600hL had something to do with this
surprising and somewhat shocking result. It has been stated
by quite a few publications that this car has been generating
quite a buzz in priviledged circles.
definetly agree, w/o hybrids Lexus would not have been able to rank so high. It's possible 10yrs from now America buyers will consider Lexus higher than MB.
Old 04-06-07, 07:13 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Not what I would've expected from the results. I expect the super wealthy to drive MBZ/BMW/Exotics/Bentley/etc. more often than a Lexus. How many of the Rich and Famous drive a Lexus? You don't see any on MTV's "Cribs" either.
I've seen a couple of Lexus on Cribs (SC430) Of course there will always be the big British cars to show off wealth along with the racy Italians.
Old 04-06-07, 09:44 PM
xioix
Racer

There are several celebs with Lexus, they most drive the RX400h though
Old 04-06-07, 09:57 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus tied with MB oy vey!
Old 04-06-07, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting, indeed i would expect some other brands ahead as well. but it's definitelyg ood news!

Quick Reply: Luxury Institute Survey: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Lexus + Mercedes (tie)