Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Announces Pricing for All-New LS 600h L Luxury Hybrid Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 07:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think the LS460's will hold their value better, much like V8's from other luxury brands hold their values better than the 12 cylinder versions . . .
Old 04-09-07, 09:25 PM
vader11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I know, I was originally from there when I was a kid . I still go back for brief visits every 2 to 3 years. I'm just saying there are places other than HK where you can't buy half a parking space for the price of a LS600hL
Ofcoz there are.
PS: I am from hk too
Old 04-09-07, 10:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think the LS460's will hold their value better, much like V8's from other luxury brands hold their values better than the 12 cylinder versions . . .
It will remain to be seen I guess. The difference is that this is a hybrid luxury sedan, a unique vehicle in the marketplace.
Old 04-10-07, 06:22 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It will remain to be seen I guess. The difference is that this is a hybrid luxury sedan, a unique vehicle in the marketplace.
Yugo and Daewoo are very unique in the marketplace too...
Old 04-10-07, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I agree. The LS600Lh is a bleeding edge vehicle - there will be newer implementations that are better and I expect the car to take a serious hit in value in a few years. Doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, it's incredible.
Old 04-10-07, 09:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Yugo and Daewoo are very unique in the marketplace too...
Cheeky .

Sarcasm aside, why do you doubt that the LS hybrid will have decent resale values? Why even compare to Yugo and Daewoo ?
Old 04-10-07, 10:42 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Cheeky .

Sarcasm aside, why do you doubt that the LS hybrid will have decent resale values? Why even compare to Yugo and Daewoo ?
1, "Uniqueness" doesn't necessarily make a car a collectable item. It's not a limited production model. It's not even a stand-alone model

2, People who shop for a used luxury vehicle ususally go for the model. And most don't necessarily aim for the higher end models.

3, Higher end models = more gadgets = higher chance of anything that may fail = less reliability. Potential customer ususally look for something that's more reliable.

That's why the lower model will usually hold it's value (percentage wise) better than the higher end model; hence I think the LS460 will hold the value better than the LS600.
Old 04-10-07, 10:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

1, "Uniqueness" doesn't necessarily make a car a collectable item. It's not a limited production model. It's not even a stand-alone model

2, People who shop for a used luxury vehicle ususally go for the model. And most don't necessarily aim for the higher end models.

3, Higher end models = more gadgets = higher chance of anything that may fail = less reliability. Potential customer ususally look for something that's more reliable.

That's why the lower model will usually hold it's value (percentage wise) better than the higher end model; hence I think the LS460 will hold the value better than the LS600.
An LS460 likely will hold value a bit better than an LS hybrid, but again, what does this have to do with Yugo or Daewoo?

FYI, the LS hybrid is a limited production model, just like the GS hybrid. The demand most certainly will exceed supply, even with this high price.

The Prius has held up exceedingly well in terms of resale values, so we will see how the LS hybrid does.
Old 04-10-07, 11:22 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

An LS460 likely will hold value a bit better than an LS hybrid, but again, what does this have to do with Yugo or Daewoo?

FYI, the LS hybrid is a limited production model, just like the GS hybrid. The demand most certainly will exceed supply, even with this high price.

The Prius has held up exceedingly well in terms of resale values, so we will see how the LS hybrid does.
Just because you brought up the point that the LS600 is a "unique" model, so I brought up daewoo and Yugo.

So is the LS and GS hybrid a real "limited production" model? Did they set a number of annual production and once the output is reached then that's done? I don't think so. I will be really surprised to see that the demand is really that much higher than supply for the GS, given its useless trunk.

Also, how do you come up with the conclusion that the Prius holds its resale value well? Compare to what?
Old 04-10-07, 12:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just because you brought up the point that the LS600 is a "unique" model, so I brought up daewoo and Yugo.

So is the LS and GS hybrid a real "limited production" model? Did they set a number of annual production and once the output is reached then that's done? I don't think so. I will be really surprised to see that the demand is really that much higher than supply for the GS, given its useless trunk.

Also, how do you come up with the conclusion that the Prius holds its resale value well? Compare to what?
Both the GS hybrid and LS hybrid are limited production by virtue of limited production capacity to build them. One reason for that is both the GS and LS hybrid use state of the art hybrid tech, more advanced than what is found on the RX and Highlander Hybrid. The LS hybrid has the most advanced hybrid tech out of any Toyota vehicle. And yes, for the GS hybrid, Lexus did have a set annual limit of units that were allocated for sale in North America, and demand exceeded that. Go and check out the GS forums, and be surprised. In fact, go to a Lexus dealer and ask how long the waiting list is for a GS hybrid. It's even worse up here in Canada, where it's very hard to get your hands on a GS hybrid, even though it's pretty expensive.

The LS hybrid also has a set annual limit of units allocated for North America, and there was a recent story that the entire annual allocation for North America was sold out.

Go and check the resale values yourself. See how much a used 2003 Prius still goes for. Prius resale values are very good in comparison to average resale values for midsize sedans.
Old 04-10-07, 12:33 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Both the GS hybrid and LS hybrid are limited production by virtue of limited production capacity ......Prius resale values are very good in comparison to average resale values for midsize sedans.
It's so difficult to make some sense out of the discussion with you it's just funny.
Old 04-10-07, 12:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Prius resale values are very good in comparison to average resale values for midsize sedans.
You're comparing the resale value of a prius to midsize sedans? Totally different class my friend. Mostly likely not a lot of people cross-shop between a prius and an accord.
Old 04-10-07, 12:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well there are 1,850 preorders, and 500 launch edition models for the LS 600h L spoken for. It will be fairly limited production, and being the LS hybrid has more demand than the GS hybrid.

Ward's Auto said that those numbers represent 'vitually sold out' so that is a capped number, consider the tens of thousands the LS sells.
Old 04-10-07, 01:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
You're comparing the resale value of a prius to midsize sedans? Totally different class my friend. Mostly likely not a lot of people cross-shop between a prius and an accord.

It is certainly fair to compare resale values between a Prius and other mid-sizers in the same price class to get a sense of the market.
Old 04-10-07, 03:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's so difficult to make some sense out of the discussion with you it's just funny.
I really can't imagine what's so difficult about this discussion? Both the GS and LS hybrid are limited production models, and are likely to have good resale because the Prius has good resale. I don't think I can make it any simpler .

Quick Reply: Lexus Announces Pricing for All-New LS 600h L Luxury Hybrid Sedan