Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus (model meanings)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 01:38 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you guys agree...I have seen sources for the car designations, but nothing entirely definite. I wonder if the definitions were concrete to Lexus corporate; I suspect they were not definite; just like the word "Lexus" itself, designed to be pleasing sounding but not necessarily having a specific meaning.

I read a thread on my.IS which suggested that IS originally stood for int'l sedan with the first gen, but with the second gen the Lexus.com video clearly names it Intelligent Sport. My guess is this is because of the pending IS coupe. Plus Intelligent Sport is more appropriate sounding than the int'l sedan designation. But that's the only one that I believe Lexus has made specific designation meanings public.

LS, SC seem fairly self-explanatory. ES as executive makes sense too. GS = Grand Sedan may have something to do with grand tourer, i.e. long distance performance car. The SUVs are just interpreted directly off of the sedans, except for RX which to my mind was chosen because 'EX' doesn't sound so good (actually sounds like the Honda trim level). So RX could be Refined or Rally or Recreational, who knows. Actually for RX I'm guessing they simply chose RX because it sounds better.
Old 04-09-07, 05:18 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
LS = Luxury Sedan
GS = Grand Sport
ES = Executive Sedan
IS = Intelligent Sport

SC = Sports Coupe

LX = Luxury SUV
GX = Grand SUV
RX = Recreational SUV

These are my speculative guesses.
This thread is contagious, as I wasnt going to reply, but could not help it. I agree with most of what is said here except for the ES. When Lexus was first introduced here in 89 there was only the LS400 and the ES250(yeah I dug way back there to jog your memories,, used to look like the late 80's model Toyota Cressida). That was it, they took a gamble and came to the states with only 2 models period. Because Lex was badging itself to be a Luxury division and the LS was close to 40K (quite a bit of money for it's time period), Lexus wanted to show that they could build a high class luxury vehicle which would compete with Mercedes (the LS) as well as have an affordable, economical vehicle in order to make it obtainable to a larger audience(The ES). Afterall, the Luxury division was a new market for them. Whole they had tremendous success with the Toyota brand, these 2 models were their "feeler" models in the world of high class division. Thank god for the overwhelming success of the LS400, because it was a big success here. The ES250, while nice, just did not sell well and it was thought that it lacked in alot of areas compared to the flagship model that Lex put out. One car reviewer I remember reading had pretty much summed it up when he test drove both cars by saying that the LS in all ways (for its' time) was like WOW!!!, the ES,,Ehhhh!!!
Anyways, change the ES to Economic luxury vehicle and I will agree with just about all that is said here. Let's just thank Lexus for continuing to improve on their products and the LS and ES for having enough success here in the states in order to spawn the creations of all the other Lexus vehicles we have available today.