Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to Buy Mercedes Benz CLK55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 10:23 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Come over to mbworld.org and ask as well

I think the CLK55 is one of the greatest AMGs.
Old 04-13-07, 05:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My friend was looking to purchase one after I recommended a test drive. I found one for him a couple years ago, an '01 with about 33k miles for 32k. Since that time, he's put on about 35k miles a year in all kinds of weather, from 115 degree heat to the (not so) rainy winters of SoCal. The car has over 100k miles and is still running strong.

It's a great car. However, during the time I was shopping for it, I saw a handful of abused examples before I found his, a one owner trade-in previously owned by an Orange County housewife. Shop carefully.

(On a side note, I also recommended an NSX. I found a clean '91 black/ivory for him, but he didn't want it. So I took it. )
Old 04-13-07, 05:52 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
In all serious, I don't understand why you would ask a lexus forum if you should purchase a mercedes. Lexus owner's tend to be mb haters anyway.
Us be biased? Noooooooooooooooooooo.... I find CL as a whole to be totally impartial when it comes to other auto manufacturers.
Old 04-13-07, 06:21 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Us be biased? Noooooooooooooooooooo.... I find CL as a whole to be totally impartial when it comes to other auto manufacturers.
I understand brand loyalty, but I don't understand why anyone would hate on a car simply because it is made by a different manufacturer than what you own. I'd rather be Leno-like; enjoy them all! If it's a good car, then it's a good car.
Old 04-13-07, 06:33 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I understand brand loyalty, but I don't understand why anyone would hate on a car simply because it is made by a different manufacturer than what you own. I'd rather be Leno-like; enjoy them all! If it's a good car, then it's a good car.

I have no real brand loyalty either...I like my Lexus, but I don't like ALL Lexuses. When it comes to cars, I am car specific in my preferences, not brand specific.

I don't like the new BMW 5 or 7 much, but I like the 3 alot.

I like the Mercedes SL coupe more than I like the BMW M6.

I like the 911 alot, but can't see myself in a Boxer or Cayman.

It all comes down to that particular car. For me, no auto manufacture hits a homerun with every car. And some cars get thrown out before they even leave the batter's box.
Old 04-13-07, 07:36 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

When you purchase a pre-owned Mercedes, it's always a good idea to see if it comes with a warranty. Not just any kind of aftermarket warranty, but the Starmark warranty backed by Mercedes itself.

Many aftermarket warranty companies will not honor AMG spec vehicles and even if they do, the coverage is often inadequate.

I love European cars but in my opinion, if these cars are more than 5 years old (Mercedes in particular), it's best that you buy them for mostly pleasure/leisure purposes.

Nothing comes close to Lexus/Toyota quality as a workhorse.

Jon
Old 04-13-07, 08:17 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I love European cars but in my opinion, if these cars are more than 5 years old (Mercedes in particular), it's best that you buy them for mostly pleasure/leisure purposes.

Nothing comes close to Lexus/Toyota quality as a workhorse.

Jon
And that's why I bought mine, it was the MAIN reason actually. I have a 115k on my 2001 GS and counting, and it's going to rack up the miles easily since I drive around for a living. And hope to drive it across country in the next few years.

If I was buying a leisure, toy car, I would have bought a BMW.

But Toyota's reputation for durability is widely accepted as fact. So, Lexus won out.
Old 04-13-07, 08:41 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes Benz are terrific cars to drive, they can be electrical PITA though.

You know, I would consider looking @ the W210 E55 AMG's there more practical to drive and might even be cheaper on insurance, in my humble opinion.