Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo dropping ‘R’ performance range

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 08:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Volvo dropping ‘R’ performance range

Volvo dropping ‘R’ performance range

Monday 9 April 2007

Volvo has confirmed that it will stop selling its R-badged performance lineup at the end of the 2007 model year. Originally launched during the mid-1990s with the first T5R model and continuing with the latest S60 and V70 range, the R performance line has failed to turn around Volvo’s conservative and safe image as its designers had hoped. This latest news comes as little surprise considering previous reports confirmed Volvo wasn’t going to replace the V70R model with the release of the new V70 wagon.

Speaking with Automotive News, Volvo CEO Fredrik Arp said there will still be performance oriented models but the cars won’t be carrying the R label. New models in the pipeline include a sports version of the C30 hatch as well as a V8 powered S80 flagship.

The problem was not with the cars themselves, but with the image of Volvo as a performance brand. Both the S60R and V70R featured 300hp turbocharged engines mated to Haldex AWD systems and an electronically controlled chassis with Ohlins shock absorbers. Unfortunately, the bulk of Volvo’s customers are not interested in performance cars and sports enthusiasts aren’t usually inclined to test-drive a Volvo when buying a car.

Volvo sold less than a third of its R-model cars that it had hoped to but remains committed to maintaining a performance range. “We are not giving up the title feature in our products,” Arp said, “we are working on the next phase, but it will not be immediate.”
via motorauthority
Old 04-10-07, 08:55 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sad, given that Volvo has a pretty decent sportswagon on the market. Now people have little choice between the WRX wagon and the S4/535xi wagon.
Old 04-10-07, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
That's sad, given that Volvo has a pretty decent sportswagon on the market. Now people have little choice between the WRX wagon and the S4/535xi wagon.
No, not really...It's not sad at all. All auto companies have to learn from their marketing mistakes. Volvo is now learning from theirs. At one time they had a good and successful company, with somewhat boxy-shaped but safe, well-made cars.....cars that did pretty well in snow even though most were RWD. The company may have had a stodgy "image" but they did well nevertheless, and, like Subaru, had an intensely loyal core of customers.
Then, in the mid-1990's, things started to unravel when the company marketers decided that boxy, RWD, crashworthy cars alone were no longer good enough...they had to adopt the humpback, aero-look, FWD, and more "sportiness". This was compounded by the added problems in Ford's marketing when they bought out the company.
The result was a less stodgy, less conservative, but also less successful Volvo. The company attempted to become a Swedish BMW, and it just didn't work. They actually had more success with the XC90 SUV, one of the most successful vehicles they ever introduced.
This illustrates the old lesson well.....if something ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
Old 04-10-07, 09:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That is sad. I remember driving my Aunt's 95 T5R that was the first boosted car I ever drove.
Old 04-10-07, 11:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Also sad, but they never got quite rid of the boxy figure that that was and still is endemic to these cars. Would rather go get an Audi, which is what I heard from some Ford friends they were trying to emulate.
Old 04-10-07, 12:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It'll be back. 3-4 years into the next generation models and you'll see totally new R models just like the previous models.

The R line was always meant to be a limited edition model. They discontinue it when a new model is introduced then bring it back mid way through the life cycle. When the S60R was introduced they planed only 5K a year which they did up to about last year or so when the competition really heated up.

Last edited by GFerg; 04-10-07 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 12:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

From what I've read, the cars had horrible turbo lag and terrible steering. They rarely were in the top spots of any comparo. Successful companies focus and that's what Volvo is doing here.
Old 04-10-07, 01:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
From what I've read, the cars had horrible turbo lag and terrible steering. They rarely were in the top spots of any comparo. Successful companies focus and that's what Volvo is doing here.
Turbo lag is absolutely true. I have had several Volvos show up at my track, and watched at least two drivers get heavily involved in tuning their Volvos to eliminate what lag they could.
Old 04-10-07, 01:54 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, not really...It's not sad at all. All auto companies have to learn from their marketing mistakes. Volvo is now learning from theirs. At one time they had a good and successful company, with somewhat boxy-shaped but safe, well-made cars.....cars that did pretty well in snow even though most were RWD. The company may have had a stodgy "image" but they did well nevertheless, and, like Subaru, had an intensely loyal core of customers.
Then, in the mid-1990's, things started to unravel when the company marketers decided that boxy, RWD, crashworthy cars alone were no longer good enough...they had to adopt the humpback, aero-look, FWD, and more "sportiness". This was compounded by the added problems in Ford's marketing when they bought out the company.
The result was a less stodgy, less conservative, but also less successful Volvo. The company attempted to become a Swedish BMW, and it just didn't work. They actually had more success with the XC90 SUV, one of the most successful vehicles they ever introduced.
This illustrates the old lesson well.....if something ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
Well, from a car enthusiast's point of view, it's a crying shame that such great cars didn't do so well. The S60R and the V70R were both a hoot to drive. I also do see quite a few S60s, S40s. V50s, and more than my share of S80s on the road. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards of a less successful Volvo.

Volvo Group 1996 Sales - 156,060

Volvo Group 2006 Sales - 258,835

Those are from the Volvo annual reports. I don't think you can say they've become less successful either.
Old 04-10-07, 02:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't really bother me much
Old 04-10-07, 02:15 PM
LexFather

I liked them, the S60R in particular but some "images" are hard to overcome. When I think of Volvo, I think of safety (and I like all their new cars).

Old 04-10-07, 03:18 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I liked them, the S60R in particular but some "images" are hard to overcome. When I think of Volvo, I think of safety (and I like all their new cars).
I will agree with you on this in fact I have a secret interest in their new fold-away hard top coupe (c70), I'm really really diggin it.
Old 04-10-07, 03:24 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

No big loss I find.

They are known for safe cars not fast cars anyways.

I love some of the stuff they came up with. Especially for the S80. Have a sensor placed in the car, so you know if someone in it.
Old 04-10-07, 04:15 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I put this in the same bin as the failed L-Tuned project. While the Volvo R cars at least had true performance upgrades, the cars themselves were still not exactly head-turning overall.

Having a performance line means truly upgrading the cars to set them clearly above their mainline brethren, marketing them appropriately, educating the dealer force fully, and making no excuses for the inherent compromises. I hold up AMG and //M as examples.
Old 04-10-07, 04:25 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very true. Volvo has (well for my whole life) always had the image of station wagony, safe, family cars.

A friend of mine in high school had an S60R and a current friend an S60. R was fun to drive, and they're both really good cars, but would I buy either over a BMW, Lexus, or even Infiniti....probably not.

Quick Reply: Volvo dropping ‘R’ performance range