Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

American Version of Top Gear May Become a Reality . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 09:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default American Version of Top Gear May Become a Reality . . .

BBC Top Gear in US TV deal talks

Top Gear has been a ratings winner for BBC Two

Hit TV show Top Gear could be heading to the US, after the BBC revealed it is in talks to take it over the Atlantic.
The Sun newspaper reported that the show will be fronted by current presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

It said the US show would be the same as the UK version, but focusing on American cars, such as Cadillacs.

US stars will also test their driving skills against mystery racing driver The Stig, the newspaper added.

A spokeswoman for the BBC confirmed that BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - had been in talks, but could not confirm details.

"BBC Worldwide has had exploratory conversations with the US networks to bring a local version of Top Gear to the US, but there is not yet a deal on the table," she said.

Top Gear has already been shown in the US on the Discovery Channel.

In November 2005 it won an international Emmy award for the best non-scripted entertainment show.

Top Gear made a successful comeback to BBC Two in January, four months after Richard Hammond was involved in a serious high-speed crash while filming.

Last month an estimated eight million people tuned in to see the last episode in the series - BBC Two's largest audience for 10 years.

The show is due to return for a new series in the autumn.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6539111.stm
Old 04-10-07, 09:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We all know that British programs don't make it when turned into their American counterparts.

Give Clarkson his show and keep it in the U.K. No American wants to hear a car show bashing American cars...
Old 04-10-07, 09:12 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great news!!

I just cant get enough of Jeremy Clarkson!
Old 04-10-07, 09:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats going to go great since we all know how much those 3 LOVE american cars, italics for sarcasm
Old 04-10-07, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
We all know that British programs don't make it when turned into their American counterparts.
You mean like American Idol, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and that 'Weakest Link' one (not sure if that was the name)? Yeah those were real flops.

Give Clarkson his show and keep it in the U.K. No American wants to hear a car show bashing American cars...
I disagree - it could be good. Need articulate funny smart a$$ car guy to do Clarkson's job. I got it - Jay Leno!!!!
Old 04-10-07, 10:17 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww man a show full of American cars. When are they going to put Lexus in there?
Old 04-10-07, 10:42 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope we get that US version too!!
Old 04-10-07, 12:07 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Err... it's not gonna be as entertaining. I mean, just look what happened to Iron Chef America: The Series.

It's not just American cars that they bash, the Malaysians are taking a huge beating too. Just look at the front page news on www.finalgear.com hahaha.

Besides, the Discovery Channel version has the American bits censored out so meh. I'll stick with the UK version unless the American counterpart can somehow pull it off.
Old 04-10-07, 12:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

True indeed. He's going to have to change his opinion on American cars if the show is going to last here. Very rare to see him thrilled about a Domestic car.
Old 04-10-07, 12:55 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I really doubt they're going to be focusing only on American cars, I mean, how many cars does America even make that would be somewhat interesting to watch on Top Gear?

Corvette, Mustang, Viper, Solstice/Sky, CTS-V, STS-V, 300 SRT-8, Crossfire?

That's about all I can think of. You could probably fit all those cars in one episode. I think they mean that they're going to show cars available in the American market, not necessarily only cars made by American companies
Old 04-10-07, 02:58 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, another show dedicated to the American car... la-de-freakin'-da. How about they put together a show that's dedicated to all the other cars that are on this planet OTHER than American cars... Oh yeah, they already do that... the show is called Top Gear. Dumbest idea I've ever heard... Just give me Top Gear the way it is.
Old 04-10-07, 03:11 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The UK is a testing ground for a lot of our most popular TV fare. In the US production costs are out of control, and the gutless wonders at the broadcast and cable networks would rather copy a successful show from overseas than develop a trace of creativity on their own. They love to point to the numbers the overseas product generates to get the budgets they need to produce a me-too copy. Of course any failures can be blamed on those crazy Brits - who will watch anything! Funny they are so quick to condemn the BBC audience when they are so willing to accept the praise for their own brilliance in introducing a successful (but un-original) product to our shores.
Old 04-10-07, 03:25 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Now this is going to be interesting to see