Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi RS8 V10 Caught Fire During Testing on Nürburgring

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 12:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Exactly where do you get your info from? I'll bet they catch fire a lot more than you and I will ever know - but most of the time, the testing is done on private tracks and we don't get to see hot pics like this. For all we know, maybe a bunch of Lexus prototypes have caught fire and burned - alas, they don't test much on the ring so we will never know.
The engine that was tested was a Lambo-based engine. That particular engine is problematic and there have been engine fire problems on Lambos with that engine. It's not a big problem, but it does exist.

In today's global world, with everyone being information and media hungry, prototypes are caught in pics more than ever before. That Lambo V10 engine fire problem has been around for years, I remember hearing stories about it long ago.

If a prototype from another car maker caught fire on a well known test track and burned in such severe fashion, it would have definitely attracted attention as this prototype did. That news then would have made it to the media. This is especially the case if it was a Honda or Toyota, as that sort of news would jump out at people straight away and would spread like wildfire.

It really makes no difference what make or model this is in this case. Were it another make or model, the discussion would have been the same. The only difference is that in this context there have been other fire-related incidents with that Lambo V10.
Old 04-14-07, 05:55 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It may well be that they knew the cooling is marginal but wanted to see how the engine survives/dies in stress testing.

Maybe this version is carbon fiber which explains why it burned out?
Does carbon fiber burn easily?
Old 04-14-07, 06:34 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Again........with that said...... I'll stick to my Lexus....!
Old 04-14-07, 10:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Does carbon fiber burn easily?
It does not actually. Carbon fiber is used heavily in motorsports, specifically in F1. If carbon fiber burned easily, it would pose a huge safety hazard in Formula 1.
Old 04-14-07, 11:59 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I fail to see a connection here. The Audi caught fire by itself. The Priuses were damaged by a fire that probably started elsewhere in the factory.
See sarcasm. There is absolutely no connection, it was just my way of pointing out how absurd how people are comparing a prototype to a production car.
Old 04-15-07, 09:13 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The engine that was tested was a Lambo-based engine. That particular engine is problematic and there have been engine fire problems on Lambos with that engine. It's not a big problem, but it does exist.

In today's global world, with everyone being information and media hungry, prototypes are caught in pics more than ever before. That Lambo V10 engine fire problem has been around for years, I remember hearing stories about it long ago.

If a prototype from another car maker caught fire on a well known test track and burned in such severe fashion, it would have definitely attracted attention as this prototype did. That news then would have made it to the media. This is especially the case if it was a Honda or Toyota, as that sort of news would jump out at people straight away and would spread like wildfire.

It really makes no difference what make or model this is in this case. Were it another make or model, the discussion would have been the same. The only difference is that in this context there have been other fire-related incidents with that Lambo V10.
But you do not know why that specific engine caught fire do you?