Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automotive Engineering Mag.(SAE) Names Lexus LS460 As 2007 Best Engineered Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 08:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Mixed feelings on this one... I think its great the LS won, I question the field when the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra is the runner up?
Porsche 911 turbo is third, so the field is pretty good.

Silverado is recognized for :
The Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra especially was recognized for its
impressive fuel economy; these full-size pickups with V8 engines can
attain more than 20 miles per gallon and can run on E85 fuel.
They probably focused more on engineering/technological criteria than emotional . . .
If you use personal preference, I would have picked the Porsche as runner-up too . . .
Old 04-11-07, 07:39 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Porsche 911 turbo is third, so the field is pretty good.
Porsche 911 Turbo is absolutely sick!

Saw a black one on the showroom the other day, but the $132K price
tag makes it just a dream for me (almost 2 LS's)...

Congrats to Lexus for building a truly remarkable car. All these
accolades are well deserved and people have started to really take
notice
Old 04-12-07, 02:21 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Best Engineered Vehicle...coming from words of the Society of Automotive Engineers, this is probably the best recognition any car maker can ask for (better than the Most Washable Car of the Year award, for example). As significant as the WCOTY perhaps. Huge kudos to Lexus for the achievement. Hopefully they'll continue to go above and beyond.
Old 04-12-07, 07:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Selected Candidates & Criteria used by SAE Members :

AEI editors want to know what you think is the world's best-engineered new or significantly revised passenger vehicle for 2007. Select one vehicle from those listed below, and give us a convincing reason why your selection should be considered. The deadline for voting is January 31, 2007, and the winning vehicle will be announced in April at the SAE 2007 World Congress in Detroit.

Best Engineered Vehicle (BEV) candidates are selected by the Automotive Engineering International editorial team based around the world. SAE members should select the BEV based on the same criteria typically used in vehicle development programs.

The BEV should possess better performance than its competitors through its engineering excellence in the following areas:
Commonality: Use of common vehicle architecture

Flexibility: Does the architecture efficiently 'protect' for LHD/RHD, FWD/AWD, bodystyle, content; Is the vehicle built in more than one country?; Is it homologated for different markets?

Cost: Overall cost containment & reduction strategies; Smart use of carryover componentry

Innovation: Does the vehicle successfully introduce new engineering processes and/or technologies (including materials and systems) which will likely cascade to other vehicles?; Does the vehicle include new "surprise and delight" features?

Package efficiency: Physical dimensions of the vehicle's exterior and interior vs. competitors; Overall mass management--mass containment or reduction from previous vehicle (if applicable)

Powertrain performance: Specific power and torque, balanced against fuel efficiency and emissions rating; Alternative fuel capability

Chassis systems: Overall design, execution, and integration of suspension, steering, braking systems

Interior accommodation: Overall layout; Workmanship & materials

Occupant safety: Safety system features, integration, & technologies; Structural design; Safety performance rating (if available)

Engineering benchmark: Is the vehicle a benchmark in its market segment ?
The Selected Candidates :

Acura MDX
Acura RDX
Audi TT
BMW X5
Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra
Citroen C4 Picasso
Fiat Grand Punto
Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX
Ford S-Max
Honda CR-V
Hyundai Santa Fe
Jaguar XK
Jeep Wrangler
Lexus LS 460
Mazda CX-7
Mercedes-Benz CL
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa
Peugeot 207
Porsche 911 Turbo
Saturn Aura
Toyota Camry
Volvo C30
Volvo S80

http://www.sae.org/automag/bestcar.htm
Old 04-13-07, 05:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Having test-driven and reviewed a new LS460 in December, it is really hard to find fault with this car. I listed some "MINUSES" for it, like I do with any new vehicle, but that list of minuses was quite short......and the list of plusses quite long.... compared to my usual review. The ultra-low noise level, Mark Levinson stereo, and smooth, strong, versatile drivetrain were especially outstanding....and the self-parking feature was impressive but complex to program and set up. I will go out on a limb and say that it was probably the best RWD sedan, to date, that I have ever experienced. Conversely, the new Acura RL is, IMO, the best AWD sedan to date.