Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SAE: Toyota V6 GR engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 05:47 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAE: Toyota V6 GR engine (NVH)

http://www.sae.org/automag/technewsl...ertrain/03.htm

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 04-11-07 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 09:28 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I don't like what I see.... not good from a tuners point of view
Old 04-12-07, 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

isnt there already an official SC for GR engine?
Old 04-13-07, 11:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I don't like what I see.... not good from a tuners point of view
What do you mean? There are already several superchargers available or coming soon to market for GR engines. In race-spec, the 2GR-FSE produces close to 500HP, naturally aspirated.
Old 04-14-07, 10:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Well some engines are easier to tune based on their design and space with which to put stuff in, even if there will be some aftermarket support support.

With the 1MZFE in my RX300, there is almost nothing, 1 TTE Compressor at at 6 to 7K if you get it in Europe and the TRD Supercharger (which fits Camrys, Solaras, Siennas, but not the RX300 or ES300) and even then not a good power/$ ratio.
Old 04-14-07, 11:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What do you mean? There are already several superchargers available or coming soon to market for GR engines. In race-spec, the 2GR-FSE produces close to 500HP, naturally aspirated.

What does that have to do with anything?

Thin valve stems, soft valve springs just make for more parts to change earlier in the game.

I'm not talking about aftermarket support, Tuning goes beyond slapping a supercharger on the engine.

P.s. While they claimed the engine of the ALMS GT2 race cars to have 470hp, I´m not 100% sure they were NA. They never stated, and I´m not familiar with the rules to know if they permit FI or not.
Old 04-14-07, 12:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

What does that have to do with anything?

Thin valve stems, soft valve springs just make for more parts to change earlier in the game.

I'm not talking about aftermarket support, Tuning goes beyond slapping a supercharger on the engine.

P.s. While they claimed the engine of the ALMS GT2 race cars to have 470hp, I´m not 100% sure they were NA. They never stated, and I´m not familiar with the rules to know if they permit FI or not.
They say the engines make over 470HP. I have talked to some people who are familiar with the GT2 cars, and they told me it's "about" 490HP. And yes, they are 100% N/A.

Obviously, tuning is more than just slapping superchargers on ... but tuning is also more than just valve stems and valve springs. What about a strong engine block? What about the cylinder heads, the cams, or the pistons? Anyways, the article posted was about engine NVH, and incremental improvements being made to the GR engines. One cannot make a conclusive statement about the tunability of the GR engines simply based on that one article.
Old 04-14-07, 03:03 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

what does softer valve spring have to do with anything, Toyota uses softer springs because the valvetrain mass has been significantly reduced.

there are no durablity concerns, and what idiot wants to fork $20k building a 3.5L V6, especially when there is already a 5.0L performance V8 directly available.
Old 04-14-07, 04:10 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
They say the engines make over 470HP. I have talked to some people who are familiar with the GT2 cars, and they told me it's "about" 490HP. And yes, they are 100% N/A.

Obviously, tuning is more than just slapping superchargers on ... but tuning is also more than just valve stems and valve springs. What about a strong engine block? What about the cylinder heads, the cams, or the pistons? Anyways, the article posted was about engine NVH, and incremental improvements being made to the GR engines. One cannot make a conclusive statement about the tunability of the GR engines simply based on that one article.

Obviously its more than just the valve stems and springs. Im not making conclusive statements, I've never taken apart any toyota V6, so I really couldnt tell you. It was just my observation, that for NA tuning, those are two components that would have to go out the window pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-07, 04:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
what does softer valve spring have to do with anything, Toyota uses softer springs because the valvetrain mass has been significantly reduced.

there are no durablity concerns, and what idiot wants to fork $20k building a 3.5L V6, especially when there is already a 5.0L performance V8 directly available.
Obviously, no? That was stated in the article. The article wouldn't tell you that it's not good for high lift, high rpm applications.

and FYI, many 'idiots' out there prefer to build than to for over 50k+ for a new car with a heavier V8 in the front end

No need for anybody to get personal or aggresive, I just made an observation based on experience and knowledge about performance applications. I have an enormous amount of respect for the 2GR, and was in no way trying to knock it.
Old 04-14-07, 10:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Thin valve stems are a good thing. They'll bend before they break and I'll take that ANY day. The only thing I saw that made me wince was the 10mm pitch cam drive chain. Sure it's lighter, but when I DO put those 60 lb valve springs in the head, I'm only going to have that skinny little chain to work a much stiffer valvetrain. I'd hate to have a cam chain last only 10k miles. That would be like the old crappy sheet metal HyVo chains from 80's motorcycles. They didn't last for crap even with stock valvetrains.
Old 04-15-07, 12:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Obviously its more than just the valve stems and springs. Im not making conclusive statements, I've never taken apart any toyota V6, so I really couldnt tell you. It was just my observation, that for NA tuning, those are two components that would have to go out the window pretty quickly.
Well the old Toyota MZ V6 was never friendly to tuners. The GR V6 though is a huge leap forward, and Toyota incorporated a lot of motorsports knowledge into the GR, as well as the UR V8.
Old 04-15-07, 12:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Thin valve stems are a good thing. They'll bend before they break and I'll take that ANY day. The only thing I saw that made me wince was the 10mm pitch cam drive chain. Sure it's lighter, but when I DO put those 60 lb valve springs in the head, I'm only going to have that skinny little chain to work a much stiffer valvetrain. I'd hate to have a cam chain last only 10k miles. That would be like the old crappy sheet metal HyVo chains from 80's motorcycles. They didn't last for crap even with stock valvetrains.
I haven't checked this, but it would be interesting to see if the 2GR-FSE inside the GT2 cars is using it's stock drive chain.