Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 06:51 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Where do you get this information about the cars being different? According to the print article the comparo was on the big track. The video is unquestionably on the streets of willow, not the big track. That alone accounts for a significant time difference.

So there were two blue TL-S's at the track with the same driver, and he drove one for the video on the streets of willow springs and the other with the all season tires on the big track for the comparo? I'm not buying that. Look at the pictures from the print article. Same wheels as the car in the video. Sorry, I don't believe for a second there were two identical cars with different tires.
You got a point there. These were two different track configurations so the times I posted for comparision was meaningless.

I think you are right about the TL-S having the same tires (video and comparo). I also checked out Tirerack for OEM tires for all three cars.

Here are the OEM tires for these cars. TL-S had the Potenza RE030 which is high performance summer tires. G35 had RE050a and IS had RE050 which are both max performance summer tires and a class above the high performance summer that the TL-S had. Both G and IS had better tires suited for tracking

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bridston.jsp

It seems to me the TL-S got the short end of the stick with crappiest tires of the bunch and still managed a 2s ahead of IS & G.

I've been to Willow Springs a few times supporting motorcycle racers (including a couple of 24 hour races.) I know (after drivers/riders) tires make the biggest difference on the big track with all other mechanical things being close (and on these cars, everything else is reasonably close - weight, power, & aerodynamics), and power is a very close second to tires because of turn 8 & 9 leading onto the quite long front stretch.

So, somehow, a car with more weight, less power, and less grip managed to get around Willow Springs big track faster than two other cars with more power and more grip? How? Suspension design differences? Seriously?
This contradicts itself. These are not race cars racing in the same class. These cars are not even close!!! One is FWD and the other two are RWD? They are far from being close.

You know, I think I might have to believe the magic suspension that you had mentioned earlier.
Old 04-17-07, 09:23 PM
iforyou
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys, I am new to this forum as you probably tell already. I am also a member of the Acura forum. I saw the title of this thread and that's why I joined this forum.

First thing first, I must say the people here are are very nice and knowledgable. I have to admit that you guys are even more well-mannered than people in the Acura forum, and definitely lightyears ahead of the people at the infiniti forum. People here simply have what I called, "class." I really enjoyed reading these 8 pages of posts.

Anyways, I think someone here mentioned about the VDIM and/or some sort of stability system in the IS350 during the test. Well, what Best Motoring usually does is, they would have the system on for a couple of laps, then turn it off and do a few more laps, and compare the difference. Of course, they would only count the fastest time. Now, that's how Best Motoring does it, but I'm not sure about the magazine (XA Car). I'd assume they did it the same way since Tsuchiya, one of the Best Motoring hosts, was the one conducting all of these tests.

Another thing, the tires used on the TL-S in the VIDEO are Bridgestone Potenza RE050's, which are the STANDARD tires for the Type S models. If you prefer, you can opt for the Bridgestone Potenza RE096A tires, which have higher performance than the RE050's. One thing that we are unsure of is whether the tires used in the MAGAZINE are the same ones in the VIDEO. We can't simply assume the TL-S used the better tires while the G35 and IS350 used the standard tires just because the TL-S was 2 seconds faster. Like many have said, tires are important for lap times, but other factors are also important too. Remember, the NSX-R is capable of running 7:56 on Nurburgring, which is the same as a Porsche 911 GT3 (old 996 model) even though the power to weight ratio favors the GT3 by a large margin.

Anyways, this is a great thread, I will definitely keep on checking!
Old 04-17-07, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by iforyou
Hello guys, I am new to this forum as you probably tell already. I am also a member of the Acura forum. I saw the title of this thread and that's why I joined this forum.

First thing first, I must say the people here are are very nice and knowledgable. I have to admit that you guys are even more well-mannered than people in the Acura forum, and definitely lightyears ahead of the people at the infiniti forum. People here simply have what I called, "class." I really enjoyed reading these 8 pages of posts.

Anyways, I think someone here mentioned about the VDIM and/or some sort of stability system in the IS350 during the test. Well, what Best Motoring usually does is, they would have the system on for a couple of laps, then turn it off and do a few more laps, and compare the difference. Of course, they would only count the fastest time. Now, that's how Best Motoring does it, but I'm not sure about the magazine (XA Car). I'd assume they did it the same way since Tsuchiya, one of the Best Motoring hosts, was the one conducting all of these tests.

Another thing, the tires used on the TL-S in the VIDEO are Bridgestone Potenza RE050's, which are the STANDARD tires for the Type S models. If you prefer, you can opt for the Bridgestone Potenza RE096A tires, which have higher performance than the RE050's. One thing that we are unsure of is whether the tires used in the MAGAZINE are the same ones in the VIDEO. We can't simply assume the TL-S used the better tires while the G35 and IS350 used the standard tires just because the TL-S was 2 seconds faster. Like many have said, tires are important for lap times, but other factors are also important too. Remember, the NSX-R is capable of running 7:56 on Nurburgring, which is the same as a Porsche 911 GT3 (old 996 model) even though the power to weight ratio favors the GT3 by a large margin.

Thanks for the compliments and great first post. Welcome to Clublexus.

Old 04-17-07, 10:56 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iforyou

Welcome to CL. This is a great forum and I must say that most of the credits go to the Mods.. They always step in at the right time and keep things civilized.

I have a couple of comments however,
1. The video clearly showed the tires on the TL-S as RE030 not RE050'. See a screen shot on post #96 by lobuxracer.
2. Googled Bridgestone Potenza RE096A and it came up with nothing..
Old 04-17-07, 11:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Perhaps he means the RE960AS
Old 04-17-07, 11:48 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Perhaps he means the RE960AS
You are right. I think he meant the RE960AS. RE960AS is ultra high performance all-season. For tracking duty, it is a class below the RE030 ultra high performance summer.
Old 04-17-07, 11:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

That's not what Acura says on their website. See post 100 or post 109.

I got the same result Googling - the 960A only exists on the TL-S.

And regardless of how they are marketed, the RE030 produced superior grip on this day at this track. It had to, or the TL-S would not have been able to corner faster. It's physics, not marketing.
Old 04-18-07, 06:44 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
What? You don't believe in magic? Haven't you ever been to McDonald's?
True that. McDonalds has a magical way of making my gut feel like it's on fire every time I eat there.
Old 04-18-07, 07:53 AM
Milla...

My goodness guys the frickin TL-S won already ok!! YES it beat the 350 and the G how about we give props to the TL and move on with life and stop hating on it, (dang and I'm not even a big fan of the TL).
Old 04-18-07, 09:32 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

And regardless of how they are marketed, the RE030 produced superior grip on this day at this track. It had to, or the TL-S would not have been able to corner faster. It's physics, not marketing.
Is this a fact or it's just another hunch? It's ok, there is nothing wrong or ashame in believing in magic.

Originally Posted by Milla...
My goodness guys the frickin TL-S won already ok!! YES it beat the 350 and the G how about we give props to the TL and move on with life and stop hating on it, (dang and I'm not even a big fan of the TL).
I am taking Milla's advice... I am out!! Good discussion.
Old 04-18-07, 10:05 AM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by ff_
True that. McDonalds has a magical way of making my gut feel like it's on fire every time I eat there.
Yes, over 1 billion turds, eerrrrr sold

Old 04-18-07, 06:35 PM
iforyou
Driver School Candidate

opps, sorry guys, yes, the standard tires are RE030! Sorry about the confusion! But on the other hand, from www.acura.com, the optional tires are indeed RE096A:

"P235/45 R17 94W Bridgestone® Potenza RE 960A High-Performance (summer) tires"

Just go to acura.com, highlight "TL," under "Learn," click "Packages & Pricing" and you will see. I guess Acura made a mistake or something? lol!
Old 04-22-07, 09:38 PM
D&G
Pole Position

I know TL's are pretty quick sedans but did not know they can beat us out!!! That is just wrong!!!! FWD beats out RWD!!! That is impossible!!! Straight line...we will kick those TL's **** no probs!! Possibly it was the driver to blame for this. Anyhow...congrats to Acura TL's for the win...as much as I hate saying it!!!
Old 04-22-07, 11:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I doubt it's the driver's fault. The driver is a well known professional driver.

As long as all the cars were tested with the same driver, then it's one step closer to be as fair as possible.
Old 04-25-07, 06:57 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

after working through every possible reason, the conclusion is that it must have been the tires?

Quick Reply: 1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.