Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 06:12 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Something doesn't sound right here. $10,000 for an in-line 4 short-block, even an S model, and even with BMW/Mini picking up part of the bill? And almost $7000 for a small FWD manual transmission, $2000 of that out of his pocket? Come on. I could carry that pint-sized aluminum transmission home in my tote bag with little or no effort, even at my age.

I know BMW, Mercedes and Porsche repair shops cost good money, but this, IMO, is absurd.
Maybe we should have him scan the receipts. That doesn't sound right to me either.
Old 04-25-07, 09:42 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Something doesn't sound right here. $10,000 for an in-line 4 short-block, even an S model, and even with BMW/Mini picking up part of the bill? And almost $7000 for a small FWD manual transmission, $2000 of that out of his pocket? Come on. I could carry that pint-sized aluminum transmission home in my tote bag with little or no effort, even at my age.

I know BMW, Mercedes and Porsche repair shops cost good money, but this, IMO, is absurd.
I think that sounds right tho. I am only saying because when I had my Acura RSX, they had to replace the engine block. The repair bill came close to 8k ( I have the receipt and can scan it if you like). But it was covered under warranty and didn't have to pay a dime.

I remember seeing something like 1500 for the labor.
Old 04-25-07, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I think that sounds right tho. I am only saying because when I had my Acura RSX, they had to replace the engine block. The repair bill came close to 8k ( I have the receipt and can scan it if you like). But it was covered under warranty and didn't have to pay a dime.
No, you don't have to scan and post it. I take you at your word, friend.
(and I'm glad you didn't have to cough it up yourself, assuming that it was the company's fault and you didn't abuse the engine). But it still doesn't change my opinion of what I consider to be gouging on a Mini-Cooper's drivetrain. Perhaps that is just part of the price of owning a BMW-sourced product, however, no matter how small.
Old 04-25-07, 12:26 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll see if I can get the receipts scanned and posted; my friend Jerry (with the Mini Cooper S) would probably be happy to oblige.

It's almost hard to believe the crap he went through to get the car back on the road... the dealership was even kind enough to ruin two of his run-flat tires when a technician was test driving the car; the tech ultimately admitted to curbing the tires and the dealership did install two new tires at no charge, but not after trying the "customer pay" routine.

Remember, the $10K he paid INCLUDED the Cooper Works upgrade he opted to do - this includes a new blower, cylinder head, ECU, and exhaust, all BMW-certified and installed by the dealer. Subsequently, the car does go like snot now; I've run it against a stock EVO and kept up gear-for-gear!

The $6900 estimate for the Cooper non-S 5-speed transmission was staggering. Even $2K my other friend paid for labor seems like a lot, considering a good technician can do this swap in less than 8 hours.
Old 04-25-07, 12:35 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm thinking too, BMW simply is making a killing with leases. I wonder what percentage of their cars are leased? Think of this
1. Best lease rates in the industry. + 2. No maintenance for the lease!!

You basically put gas in your car and you "might" have to change tires during the lease.

Very attractive.

That is very true and to be honest the add is very clever!

But people who cross shop at this level aren't in my mind all that concerned with maintenance costs and gas.. if they were, well.. the would be looking at a Hyundai.

I wonder if the Maint. as a BMW owner in the long run would cost more than a Lexus.. isn't that what you look at? TCO?
Old 04-25-07, 01:21 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
But people who cross shop at this level aren't in my mind all that concerned with maintenance costs and gas.. if they were, well.. the would be looking at a Hyundai.
Why not? You aren't concerned with maintenance and gas? I am.

I wonder if the Maint. as a BMW owner in the long run would cost more than a Lexus.. isn't that what you look at? TCO?
Are we talking about leases here and TCO? What is long run? If you are talking about 7 years/100k miles then BMW offers an extended maintenance/warranty program as well. The cost of the extended maintenance plan will save you money over the scheduled maintenance (50-100k). Brakes are expensive.