Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 05:12 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
No, what makes BMW arrogant is constant picking on other brands, such as this particular example. This is a cheap, snoby tacting, and Lexus, as well as other self respecting brands, would never resort to such.
So I guess, by stating some comparison figures with other brands, then that become a "cheap, snoby tacting", which is "arrogant" and "no class"?

I didn't really remember much about BMW constantly picking on other brands. Journalist pitching in other brands of cars to have a comparison test with BMW, yes, but that's not driven by BMW themselves.

What I remember is, there's this TV commercial by Lexus running a 2nd gen GS with a E39 5-series. At the end of the road is a cliff, and the GS stopped right at the edge, while the 5-series didn't make it and falls with a parachute. I just found this commercial funny, and don't see it as a "cheap, snoby tacting" action by Lexus.

Couple more actions Lexus commercials compared to the competitors long time ago, that I don't find them really "arrogant" and "no class":

Lexus stated how quiet its LS is comparing to the S-Class and the 7-series.

Before BMW introduce free maintenance, Lexus stated how much cheaper it is to maintain their car compared to other luxury brand.
Old 04-12-07, 05:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GS-5-series commercial is an irregularity in Lexus ads. Lexus corporate specfically nixed ads which directly poke fun at BMW and Mercedes, because it was seen as lacking class. Most Lexus ads that tout best-in-class features don't reference the competition directly, they simply say things like "unprecedented" or "this is the most..." etc.

BMW's brand image is more aggressive, so they can get away with being more in-your-face about it, like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1175940422

However, overaggressiveness can sometimes turn off mainstream luxury buyers, especially when seen as arrogant. But they of course have more choices than ever...
Old 04-12-07, 05:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Even with free maintenance, the BMW owner still has to take time to take their car in, get a loaner, and go through the hassle of getting their car fixed.
The Lexus owner, who saved $1,000's right off the bat on buying a Lexus over a BMW in the first place will most likely never need a repair in the first few years.

Tough decision.

I hope BMW buyers a smart enough to really see what's going on.
Old 04-12-07, 05:24 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

bmw is doing like what hyundai (100k mi warranty) has to do to get the buyers.
Old 04-12-07, 05:28 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enigma888
The GS-5-series commercial is an irregularity in Lexus ads. Lexus corporate specfically nixed ads which directly poke fun at BMW and Mercedes, because it was seen as lacking class. Most Lexus ads that tout best-in-class features don't reference the competition directly, they simply say things like "unprecedented" or "this is the most..." etc.

BMW's brand image is more aggressive, so they can get away with being more in-your-face about it, like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1175940422

However, overaggressiveness can sometimes turn off mainstream luxury buyers, especially when seen as arrogant. But they of course have more choices than ever...
Couple points:

1, Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean "no class". Like what I mentioned before, I don't found that GS/5-Series commercial "no class"

2, That ad you posted, I believed, was from UK. Companies use different strategies advertising to different demographies in different markets. I guess those auto-enthusiasts in Europe probably have a better sense of humour (with "U" in it) than those in the "US of A", so the ads can go "a little further".
Old 04-12-07, 05:31 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Even with free maintenance, the BMW owner still has to take time to take their car in, get a loaner, and go through the hassle of getting their car fixed.
The Lexus owner, who saved $1,000's right off the bat on buying a Lexus over a BMW in the first place will most likely never need a repair in the first few years.

Tough decision.

I hope BMW buyers a smart enough to really see what's going on.
This statement is as general as BMW buyers saying "I hope those Lexus buyers are smart enough to really see that they are just driving an overpriced Toyota" and "I hope those Lexus buyers are smart enough to see that their cars won't corner as fast as our BMW".
Old 04-12-07, 05:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
So I guess, by stating some comparison figures with other brands, then that become a "cheap, snoby tacting", which is "arrogant" and "no class"?

I didn't really remember much about BMW constantly picking on other brands. Journalist pitching in other brands of cars to have a comparison test with BMW, yes, but that's not driven by BMW themselves.

What I remember is, there's this TV commercial by Lexus running a 2nd gen GS with a E39 5-series. At the end of the road is a cliff, and the GS stopped right at the edge, while the 5-series didn't make it and falls with a parachute. I just found this commercial funny, and don't see it as a "cheap, snoby tacting" action by Lexus.

Couple more actions Lexus commercials compared to the competitors long time ago, that I don't find them really "arrogant" and "no class":

Lexus stated how quiet its LS is comparing to the S-Class and the 7-series.

Before BMW introduce free maintenance, Lexus stated how much cheaper it is to maintain their car compared to other luxury brand.
Well, as others have said, that Lexus ad is rather irregular, and it's also 10 years old. And unlike BMW's blatant disrespect for other makes, that ad is just a comparison, and a true one at that.

As far as this particular ad, they pulled an obnoxious $ figure out of their ***, and suggesting that Lexus customers choke on the free coffee after they see the bill. It's a cheap shot, and its disgraceful when a company like BMW steps down to this level.
Old 04-12-07, 05:46 PM
LexFather

Okay fellas, can we please focus on the ad at hand.

Old 04-12-07, 05:47 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd care more, but honestly, if they're not spewing lies about the competitors maintenance costs and presenting real numbers whats wrong with it? Lexus/Toyota is really conservative in much of what they do, so the lack of advertising like this shouldn't really be a surprise (not that it is a bad thing).

I saw that BMW print ad and laughed. Its all in good marketing fun, just Americans seem to have a lower tolerance for more agressive marketing techniques than the rest of the world.

Audi did the exact same thing to BMW the previous year, so BMW was just responding in the same way.

Old 04-12-07, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
This statement is as general as BMW buyers saying "I hope those Lexus buyers are smart enough to really see that they are just driving an overpriced Toyota" and "I hope those Lexus buyers are smart enough to see that their cars won't corner as fast as our BMW".
Yeah, but usually the difference between a LOT of Lexus owners vs BMW owners is that a Lexus owner may make a general and reasonable statement like JLSC4's example, while BMW owners usually don't make such statement and instead to resort to arrogant statements like "japcrap" or worse.
Old 04-12-07, 05:50 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

It is an interesting advertising technique. I agree that BMW tends to be more aggressive in their ads, while Lexus is more "let the excellence of the product speak for itself". I like the Lexus approach, but clearly lots of people prefer the in-your-face ads (re:Burger King vs McDonald's ads).

I also agree that it's a pretty weak leg for BMW to stand on. Their cars absolutely cost more up front, similarly-equipped, across the product range. My personal experience with Bimmer was that, despite everything being free, I spent far, FAR too much time with the service department. I'd rather spend $100 for a Lexus oil change a couple of times a year than the couple of times a month I got "free" service from BMW.

Also, Lexus is widely regarded as having the best customer service in the industry. This includes far more than free coffee. For BMW to try to boil that competitive advantage down to something so insignificant is both clever (from a marketing perspective) and insulting (to an educated consumer who can see through the attempt).

Bottom line: this is desperation. BMW knows they now have absolutely no competitive advantage over Lexus. They are trying to attack one of the areas where Lexus is known to have a huge advantage of their own (customer service), which is silly. Apparently BMW's marketing guys haven't read any Sun Tzu...
Old 04-12-07, 05:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
I'd care more, but honestly, if they're not spewing lies about the competitors maintenance costs and presenting real numbers whats wrong with it?
Where do you see a real number in this ad? It's an obscene amount that they made up and paired with obscene comment. I wouldn't be offended if they wrote something to the extent of "Lexus - oil change $80, BMW oil change $0", but this ad is way out of line.
Old 04-12-07, 05:53 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Iceman
Bottom line: this is desperation. BMW knows they now have absolutely no competitive advantage over Lexus.
Wrong. They still have the performance advantage. Even many/most posters on here will admit that BMWs are still better than Lexus for performance driving. Sadly for BMW, that segment of automotive buyers is quite small in the grand scheme of car buyers.

/offtopicness
Old 04-12-07, 05:56 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Where do you see a real number in this ad? It's an obscene amount that they made up and paired with obscene comment. I wouldn't be offended if they wrote something to the extent of "Lexus - oil change $80, BMW oil change $0", but this ad is way out of line.
Maybe they actually did some research and got numbers? I don't work for BMW, so I don't know. But having taken my car for service enough times, I could buy that as cost of scheduled maintenance until 50k miles.
Old 04-12-07, 06:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

At least the Lexus dealers I have visited here, there is more than just comp coffee and other beverages. If you go in for regular service at the right time...you can get a pretty nice bite to eat.

It's typical sales/marketing tactic to help the buyer feel better about his purchase even if it is slanted a bit. Given the comparative costs though, I think it would be pretty challenging to develop a number like BMW used for this card. Dunno...but interesting.

Quick Reply: BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms