Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 07:10 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW is selling better than ever, that IS a fact. Their tactics to get there:
1-Series in Europe
Lease deals galore
Huge Discounts
Free Maintenance 4/50k
Lexus' tactic is to sell their cars at prices well below their direct competition. (edit: actually, Infiniti seems to sell at similar prices/bargains as Lexus) In other words, they sell "bargains". How is this any better or worse than BMW offering great lease deals and pre-paid maintenance? If BMW is selling cars at a record pace, what difference does it make how they do it? The bottom line is that they're doing very well, financially.

By the way, BMW doesn't offer huge discounts on purchases. They're actually pretty stingy when it comes to that. A person is usually better off leasing a new BMW than buying, if the terms fit into their situation.
Old 04-13-07, 10:33 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
The free 4yrs/50K maintenance program is added on to the price of the vehicle. For example, the same Lexus may cost you $40K compare to BMW at $42K with free maintenance. The $2K different in price that what you have to pay for the free maintenance
. Some people thinks it's great because they can roll the extra $2K for free maintenance into the loan and the differences in the monthly payment will be about $50.00 for the 48 months loans. Basically they just pay about $50.00 extra a month on the what they called the free maintenance.

BMW need to give customers another choice such as, if they don't want a free maint. program they will knock out $2K of the selling price. This way the customer can put that $2k into something else that draws interest, put into saving, buy some stock or don't do anything about that $2K instead give it to BMW dealer before you even drive the car...

It just like you're buying a house with no money down, no closing cost with all the upgraded...you will pay for that for the next 30 years for sure...
I
Originally Posted by KevinGS
Uh, then that's not 'free maintenance' then. That's mortgaged maintenance. BIG difference.

Do any manufacturers offer TRUE free maintenance (price of the car doesn't change)?
Originally Posted by flipside909
None that I know of.
Great point that was brought up about mortgaged maintenance. I like that term. There's really nothing "Free" about the maintenance deal when you do pay more for the car in comparison to the competitor car. But then again it all boils down to what brand is of value to you, regardless of it's perks and what not.
It's very simple. I did it sometime ago but could not find the original thread. Check out the original MSRP of a 3 series the first year free-maintenance program was included and the original MSRP of the 3 series a year before that... the price remains relatively UNCHANGE. The price difference is a few hundred dollars which is typical yearly increase or all manufactures. Is the price added to the price of the vehicle? Is it FREE? you decide it yourself.
Old 04-14-07, 12:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
The reason I am very surprised is that when a company uses this tactic, like BK vs. Mc donolds... it hints that they acknowledge the other brand is more mainstream, and its an attempt to peruse customers of another brand to jump ship. Fine when your papa's Pizza taking on Pizza hut... etc.

Now in luxury items like expensive watches, cars, clothing... usually companies refrain from this, because its almost like they are admitting that they are attempting to steal customers, rather then portraying themselves as a leading company within their industry (with product that sell themselves). Do you guys see what I mean?

I’m astounded because BMW is a SERIOUS prestigious brand, with serious credentials, (whether some of us want to admit it or not... BMW is one of the most profitable and successful companies out there) and I’m just astonished they would resort to such tactic.
Exactly.

The way I see it, even making this comparison and using it as an ad is fine, but the way in which it was done is certainly blatant, in your face, and almost rude.

For a company such as BMW, they offer not just a product, but an image. They have that kind of reputation. So as you said, it is indeed very surprising to see such a high status company making these sort of comparisons. Lexus, although it has a lower image worldwide, does not resort to direct comparisons like that.

This seems like an aggressive sales tactic, and that means BMW is concerned about Lexus, even though many BMW execs and BMW fans will deny this.
Old 04-14-07, 01:44 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup.

When you're directly referenced like that, even when it's borderline rude, it sometimes can be seen as a compliment. Your competitor is making such a big deal over your success that it has to mention you directly in ads. They are treating you as equals, or even trying to show they have an incentive over their 'betters.'
Old 04-14-07, 06:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

at the same time they somewhat imply BMW reliability is better, since they are comparing repair bills, tough one to swallow. I dont consider the maintainence free when they turn around and charge you for leather and metallic paint
Old 04-14-07, 09:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm curious why BMW didn't compare themselves to Mercedes?

The free maintenance is great esp. when you're leasing...nothing wrong with that

When my brother in law bought his 7, he asked if he should get an extended warranty. I told him to buy ALL and any warranties that bmw has to offer
Old 04-14-07, 09:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm curious why BMW didn't compare themselves to Mercedes ?
I'm wondering about that too ...
Old 04-14-07, 10:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

In the ads I've seen (usually placards hanging on the mirror), they compare themselves against Lexus, Mercedes, and Infiniti. This is the first one I've seen that shows only one competitor.
Old 04-14-07, 11:56 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The free 4yrs/50K maintenance program is added on to the price of the vehicle. For example, the same Lexus may cost you $40K compare to BMW at $42K with free maintenance. The $2K different in price that what you have to pay for the free maintenance.
Uhm, so you are comparing 2 totally different cars and saying a 40k Lexus is the same as a 42k BMW? How do you know for sure that "2k" difference is the maintenance program?

Some people thinks it's great because they can roll the extra $2K for free maintenance into the loan and the differences in the monthly payment will be about $50.00 for the 48 months loans. Basically they just pay about $50.00 extra a month on the what they called the free maintenance.
Some people think they can just throw random numbers out there. BMWs were generally more expensive than Lexus' BEFORE the maintenance program. In fact, usually German cars are more expensive than their Japanese counterparts.
Old 04-14-07, 01:02 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny thread I agree with OC335.
Old 04-14-07, 01:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
Lexus' tactic is to sell their cars at prices well below their direct competition. (edit: actually, Infiniti seems to sell at similar prices/bargains as Lexus) In other words, they sell "bargains". How is this any better or worse than BMW offering great lease deals and pre-paid maintenance? If BMW is selling cars at a record pace, what difference does it make how they do it? The bottom line is that they're doing very well, financially.

By the way, BMW doesn't offer huge discounts on purchases. They're actually pretty stingy when it comes to that. A person is usually better off leasing a new BMW than buying, if the terms fit into their situation.
Your interpretation. Lexus to buyers offers the car at the right price.

I can only guess some here are taking offense b/c this "image" of superiority is cracking, has been for sometime now and with the additional proof, its bothersome.

Can someone PLEASE POST the BMW statement showing their LARGEST DISCOUNTS of LUXURY BRANDS and Germany's CONCERN for them. THis was posted a few weeks ago.

Old 04-14-07, 02:00 PM
LexFather

The free maintenance is 4yrs/50K which ever comes firsts. If you drive 50K miles in one year that mean your free maintenance will be out after your car hit 50K or vise versa.

The free 4yrs/50K maintenance program is added on to the price of the vehicle. For example, the same Lexus may cost you $40K compare to BMW at $42K with free maintenance. The $2K different in price that what you have to pay for the free maintenance
. Some people thinks it's great because they can roll the extra $2K for free maintenance into the loan and the differences in the monthly payment will be about $50.00 for the 48 months loans. Basically they just pay about $50.00 extra a month on the what they called the free maintenance.

BMW need to give customers another choice such as, if they don't want a free maint. program they will knock out $2K of the selling price. This way the customer can put that $2k into something else that draws interest, put into saving, buy some stock or don't do anything about that $2K instead give it to BMW dealer before you even drive the car...

It just like you're buying a house with no money down, no closing cost with all the upgraded...you will pay for that for the next 30 years for sure...
I

Fantastic post.

Old 04-14-07, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by OC 335i

Some people think they can just throw random numbers out there. BMWs were generally more expensive than Lexus' BEFORE the maintenance program. In fact, usually German cars are more expensive than their Japanese counterparts.
I agree with this. We just don't know however to prove or disprove VVTi's theory of the "maintenance" built in the price.

Anyone here in BUSINESS knows, you NEVER give something for free. It is absorbed somewhere.

Old 04-14-07, 04:27 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, it's absorbed into your BMW's oil, since they'll only change it every year or 15,000,000,000 miles.
Old 04-14-07, 08:08 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

My dad got the coffee mug ad on a card in the mail, except it was BMW and an Infiniti mug. The Infiniti maintenance costs they wrote was about half of what they have for Lexus.

Quick Reply: BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms