Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 11:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who finds this as a clever advertising? haha I thought it was funny, yet very clever.

(I must say, Lexus also comes with cookies, and better coffee)
Old 04-18-07, 08:56 AM
insider
Pole Position

toyota/lexus havent done very few unique or ground breaking things in decades. They lived off copying MB and BMW since the lexus badge was born.
Old 04-18-07, 09:42 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insider
toyota/lexus havent done very few unique or ground breaking things in decades. They lived off copying MB and BMW since the lexus badge was born.
man, you are so wrong.
Old 04-18-07, 09:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

japanese copy german tech, but the big difference is they make it better
Old 04-18-07, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Talking

Old 04-18-07, 11:15 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
japanese copy german tech,
Hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-18-07, 11:20 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually like the newer BMWs, but won't drive one due to three things:

1) The snob factor. Need I say more?
2) Extremely Common. Here in SoCal seeing a 3 or a 5 is like like seeing pickups in Texas. And do they come in other colors than silver and black?
3) Reliability concerns. Free maintenance is great and all... I have friends with BMWs; they love them, but spend a good deal of time driving loaner cars. My friend with a 545i put it best "I have a payment on a 545i, but I've spent a total of 45 days driving 3-series loaners; shouldn't I get a credit?"
Attached Thumbnails BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms-lexbmw.jpg  
Old 04-18-07, 11:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Hit the nail on the head.
And what about the Germans "copying" Japanese in terms of hybrid technology? After all, the Japanese were first to market with hybrids, and Toyota was first in the world with luxury hybrids ... yet now the German makers are following Toyota's lead in that area.
Old 04-18-07, 08:09 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

BMW pays the bills..at least for me.
Working in the Parts department, I deal alot with this warranty stuff. Everyday we have another cart full of stuff that was warranty work, its kinda crazy. Its ok though. We had a Alpina wheel today. The driver hit a pot-hole, brought it in, and we are changing his wheel for him, for free, its a 1000 dollar wheel. Granted this is the B7 Alpina, and Lexus doesnt have anything to compete with the B7. Im not sure if potholes are covered in Lexus' warranty, but I can tell you the wheels arent cheap, I think the 17" wheels from a GS4xx are about 600ish a wheel, and the 18" wheels form a 06+ GS430 and GS350 are like 800+.
As far as the ads go. Everytime I walk through the front..I just laugh. I know Lexus has better quailty vehicles, but as people have stated, they pretty much rip your wallet out your pants. I think they wanted like 2500 to replace my A/C compressor. I went to my Boss(before I worked for BMW, my boss is a friend of my dads), and he ordered the compressor for about 500, and a BMW tech put it on for 200. I would still rather have my 96 GS300 over a 96 3 series. I love my Lexus.

BTW, Everyone copys everyone, its a way of life. Ads, who cares. You know what you want. If your gonna have a car for less than 4yrs of 50K, get the BMW, you may pay a little extra, but free maintance..thanks. If you want something that will last past 100K and not give you a headache every few months..Lexus.
Old 04-18-07, 09:26 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I actually like the newer BMWs, but won't drive one due to three things:

1) The snob factor. Need I say more?
2) Extremely Common. Here in SoCal seeing a 3 or a 5 is like like seeing pickups in Texas. And do they come in other colors than silver and black?
3) Reliability concerns. Free maintenance is great and all... I have friends with BMWs; they love them, but spend a good deal of time driving loaner cars. My friend with a 545i put it best "I have a payment on a 545i, but I've spent a total of 45 days driving 3-series loaners; shouldn't I get a credit?"
1) Who cares
2) Again, why worry so much about what others think. I see plenty of Lexus too. Both cars are common, if you want exclusivity, you generally will pay big bucks.
3) Perhaps, I don't know much about 5 series maintenance. After 45 days, shouldn't the car be lemoned on a brand new car? 5 Series have more maint. issues than 3.

As for copying tech, who cares. If one company designs something and another improves on it, good for them. As I always say, competition is a GOOD thing. People whine about "why doesn't my car have XXXXX" and then complain about copying.
Old 04-19-07, 01:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Abear
BMW pays the bills..at least for me.
Working in the Parts department, I deal alot with this warranty stuff. Everyday we have another cart full of stuff that was warranty work, its kinda crazy. Its ok though. We had a Alpina wheel today. The driver hit a pot-hole, brought it in, and we are changing his wheel for him, for free, its a 1000 dollar wheel. Granted this is the B7 Alpina, and Lexus doesnt have anything to compete with the B7. Im not sure if potholes are covered in Lexus' warranty, but I can tell you the wheels arent cheap, I think the 17" wheels from a GS4xx are about 600ish a wheel, and the 18" wheels form a 06+ GS430 and GS350 are like 800+.
As far as the ads go. Everytime I walk through the front..I just laugh. I know Lexus has better quailty vehicles, but as people have stated, they pretty much rip your wallet out your pants. I think they wanted like 2500 to replace my A/C compressor. I went to my Boss(before I worked for BMW, my boss is a friend of my dads), and he ordered the compressor for about 500, and a BMW tech put it on for 200. I would still rather have my 96 GS300 over a 96 3 series. I love my Lexus.

BTW, Everyone copys everyone, its a way of life. Ads, who cares. You know what you want. If your gonna have a car for less than 4yrs of 50K, get the BMW, you may pay a little extra, but free maintance..thanks. If you want something that will last past 100K and not give you a headache every few months..Lexus.
Replacing the wheel for free? Is that a courtesy for someone who buys one of the most expensive vehicles BMW offers? Otherwise, wheels/tires are not covered in the standard maintenance/warranty.
Old 04-20-07, 12:12 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't like to post this board. As majority of owner here really have inferiority complex about owning a lexus.

BMW free maint. is a great thing. Typical BMW owner would rarely keep the car past 3 years. Simply put they are different breed of owners. Majority of lexus owner treat their car as an expense item and care about long term reliability and typical BMW treat a car as a pleasure item.

Different stroke for different people.

Yes BMW oil change occurs at 15k miles. However, the amount of oil used per change is more. The free maint actually does a lot more than a simple oil change.

Take my M5 for example. Each oil change is 9 quarts of 10W60. Which is about $10 per quart. Totally free, this includes free top off anytime your oil is low. And I have already gone through 3 quarts of oil during break in. Everything is covered include brakes. BMW's brake are by far the best standard luxury brake. Those cost money.

BMW inspection 1 is quiet expensive, espeically for M cars. Free maint is a great thing.

The biggest beef with this forum is none of the lexus owner here can have open mind and fair discussion. Everytime when there is a thread about BMW, the inferiority complex shows up.

I have owned tons of toyota and lexus thus far and have several BMW now. Each car has its merit. I simply don't see the point of spending over $30k for a toyota/lexus product, because it is simply boring to drive. I can get reliability in a $30k Camry V6, why do i need to spend $80k for a LS.

For me spending $100k for M5 was a great buy. Who cares if i am sacrificing relaiblity? I don't need reliablity in a M5. Driving it makes me happy and relax after a long day of work.

Majority of lexus owner will never understand why BMW's owner are loyal. Because majority of you probably never value what BMW offer in fun over reliability. Different stroke to different people.

Unless IS-F drive as well a M3, I would still be glad to shell out another $65k for a piece of unreliable M3 next year over IS-F.

In addition, you guys are blowing the reliability issue way out of proportion. I will agree that my toyota and lexus are more trouble free than my BMWs. However, BMW reliability are not as bad as many here made it out to be. Owned 2 M5, 1 M3, and a 530i since 2001. Other than occasional electronic issue, mechanically all of my BMW has been extremely sound.
Old 04-20-07, 12:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chiawei
I really don't like to post this board. As majority of owner here really have inferiority complex about owning a lexus.

BMW free maint. is a great thing. Typical BMW owner would rarely keep the car past 3 years. Simply put they are different breed of owners. Majority of lexus owner treat their car as an expense item and care about long term reliability and typical BMW treat a car as a pleasure item.

Yes BMW oil change occurs at 15k miles. However, the amount of oil used per change is more. The free maint actually does a lot more than a simple oil change.

Take my M5 for example. Each oil change is 9 quarts of 10W60. Which is about $10 per quart. Totally free, this includes free top off anytime your oil is low. And I have already gone through 3 quarts of oil during break in. Everything is covered include brakes. BMW's brake are by far the best standard luxury brake. Those cost money.

BMW inspection 1 is quiet expensive, espeically for M cars. Free maint is a great thing.

The biggest beef with this forum is none of the lexus owner here can have open mind and fair discussion.
Everytime when there is a thread about BMW, the inferiority complex shows up.

I have owned tons of toyota and lexus thus far and have several BMW now. Each car has its merit. I simply don't see the point of spending over $30k for a toyota/lexus product, because it is simply boring to drive. I can get reliability in a $30k Camry V6, why do i need to spend $80k for a LS.

For me spending $100k for M5 was a great buy. Who cares if i am sacrificing relaiblity? I don't need reliablity in a M5. Driving it makes me happy and relax after a long day of work.

Majority of lexus owner will never understand why BMW's owner are loyal. Because majority of you probably never value what BMW offer in fun over reliability. Different stroke to different people.

Unless IS-F drive as well a M3, I would still be glad to shell out another $65k for a piece of unreliable M3 next year over IS-F.

In addition, you guys are blowing the reliability issue way out of proportion. I will agree that my toyota and lexus are more trouble free than my BMWs. However, BMW reliability are not as bad as many here made it out to be. Owned 2 M5, 1 M3, and a 530i since 2001. Other than occasional electronic issue, mechanically all of my BMW has been extremely sound.
Take a nice vacation until you learn how to not insult a forum of over 50,000 members together. Now you won't have to post here for at least a week.

Old 04-20-07, 03:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chiawei

The biggest beef with this forum is none of the lexus owner here can have open mind and fair discussion. Everytime when there is a thread about BMW, the inferiority complex shows up.

Thats is exactly the attitude I see from a LOT of BMW owners.
Old 04-20-07, 04:27 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I was a BMW owner (of an M car) who will most likely never buy another one because of reliability problems. That "happy and relaxing" feeling I got from driving it evaporated every time I had to go back to the shop. And I know not every BMW owner has had my same poor experience, but it was absolutely true for me that my Bimmer was a lemon and my Japanese cars have been gems.

Does that make me biased? Yes! But does it make me closed-minded? I hope not.

Quick Reply: BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms