Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 04:35 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I was a BMW owner (of an M car) who will most likely never buy another one because of reliability problems. That "happy and relaxing" feeling I got from driving it evaporated every time I had to go back to the shop. And I know not every BMW owner has had my same poor experience, but it was absolutely true for me that my Bimmer was a lemon and my Japanese cars have been gems.

Does that make me biased? Yes! But does it make me closed-minded? I hope not.
On a similar note, I'm an ex BMW owner that didn't exactly have a Japanese equallivalent reliable car, but not exactly a lemmon either. I gladly traded in the BMW for the Lexus and swore I'd never go back to BMW. Oddly enough, I find myself wanting a BMW again and while not actively looking, I do look at what is availble and probably would buy one again if I find the right one. After owning and driving 4 differnt models of Lexus cars (Still currently) I really miss the BMW drive. Now I find myself thinking it wasn't that bad after all (Owning a BMW).
Old 04-20-07, 04:53 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
On a similar note, I'm an ex BMW owner that didn't exactly have a Japanese equallivalent reliable car, but not exactly a lemmon either. I gladly traded in the BMW for the Lexus and swore I'd never go back to BMW. Oddly enough, I find myself wanting a BMW again and while not actively looking, I do look at what is availble and probably would buy one again if I find the right one. After owning and driving 4 differnt models of Lexus cars (Still currently) I really miss the BMW drive. Now I find myself thinking it wasn't that bad after all (Owning a BMW).
Come back to the darkside......

(you know we have free maintenance right?)

Old 04-20-07, 05:06 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Replacing the wheel for free? Is that a courtesy for someone who buys one of the most expensive vehicles BMW offers? Otherwise, wheels/tires are not covered in the standard maintenance/warranty.
No actually, tires are covered in the warranty.
Old 04-20-07, 05:19 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Abear
Only if you get the optional tire and wheel package I believe.
Old 04-20-07, 06:55 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh my god, it's like I'm in Groundhog Day, and keep reading the same thread over and over.
Old 04-20-07, 07:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Not a chance. The tires aren't covered under any maintenance warranty. They're covered under a defect warranty by the tire mfg up until a certain point, and you can also buy a road hazzard warranty that covers damage from road debris, etc. But replacing worn tires is completely left to the owner. (Or if you live in FL, tires are never replaced until they've worn through all the steel belting, and they shred into a fine powder as you drive down the highway. At which point, you put on the donut spare tire and drive on it until the same thing happens. At that point, you find another donut spare somewhere, and drive on it. Lather, rise, repeat.)

Last edited by ff_; 04-20-07 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-20-07, 10:00 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's likely the road hazard coverage that's becoming popular as BMW (unfortunately) switches to run-flats on their models.

We have a BMW, and tires (incl. rotation and alignment), glass are not included in warranty or maintenance.
Old 04-20-07, 10:05 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
1) Who cares
2) Again, why worry so much about what others think. I see plenty of Lexus too. Both cars are common, if you want exclusivity, you generally will pay big bucks.
3) Perhaps, I don't know much about 5 series maintenance. After 45 days, shouldn't the car be lemoned on a brand new car? 5 Series have more maint. issues than 3.
So, my opinion is wrong? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have said it.
If you've seen my car, you would never confuse it with any other Lexus.

As far as the new 545 is concerned, it was 45 days over a six month period, so no lemon law.

Ultimately, BMW replaced the engine in this car; to me this is unfathomable in a car with 20,000 miles. I had an old FIAT that (when I sold it) had 226,000 miles on the original engine... the car is still out there.

Another friend of mine has a 2003 Mini Cooper S (another BMW product) that needed a new short block at 30,000 miles. This was not under warranty, and set him back $5K. This car is a blast to drive, but he went through hell with the BMW/Mini service people and it took three months to get the car back on the road. You can see where this is going... I won't be buying a Beemer anytime soon.
Old 04-20-07, 11:03 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
So, my opinion is wrong? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have said it.
If you've seen my car, you would never confuse it with any other Lexus.

As far as the new 545 is concerned, it was 45 days over a six month period, so no lemon law.

Ultimately, BMW replaced the engine in this car; to me this is unfathomable in a car with 20,000 miles. I had an old FIAT that (when I sold it) had 226,000 miles on the original engine... the car is still out there.

Another friend of mine has a 2003 Mini Cooper S (another BMW product) that needed a new short block at 30,000 miles. This was not under warranty, and set him back $5K. This car is a blast to drive, but he went through hell with the BMW/Mini service people and it took three months to get the car back on the road. You can see where this is going... I won't be buying a Beemer anytime soon.
You are taking isolated incidents and using it against the brand as a whole. Why don't you consider taking into consideration all the people who have not had issues with BMW?

Also, doesn't the Mini come with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty?
Old 04-20-07, 11:53 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Which kind of hints at the probability that his MINI was either abused, improperly cared for, or "illegally" modified. If BMW doesn't cover the replacement while the car is under warranty, that can mean only one thing.
Old 04-20-07, 03:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Which kind of hints at the probability that his MINI was either abused, improperly cared for, or "illegally" modified. If BMW doesn't cover the replacement while the car is under warranty, that can mean only one thing.
or bought in 2002 since its a 2003 model
Old 04-20-07, 04:54 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
You are taking isolated incidents and using it against the brand as a whole. Why don't you consider taking into consideration all the people who have not had issues with BMW?

They may seem like isolated incidents in the grand scheme of BMW sales, but I've had several friends who have not been happy with BMW service - enough to scare me away, for certain! Beyond the service issues, I really don't care for the looks of the 5-series and the 7 is getting long in the tooth and doesn't do anything for me. The 3 is just too common and too small; frankly, I won't be buying an IS for the same reasons.

The Mini was indeed purchased in 2002, my friend ordered it long before the car was delivered in the US. The car was S-T-O-C-K except for the Mini-dealer installed Sirius radio interface. The car was 34 days out of warranty. It spun a main bearing and BMW said "too bad"... interesting because all the maintenance was 'owned' and performed by the dealer. The spun bearing was caused by low oil- the car apparently used over 3.5 quarts of oil in under 2,000 miles and it never leaked a drop on the ground.

I change my Lexus oil every 4,000 miles, and to be honest, I don't check it weekly. No need to; my car has quite a few miles on it and 'uses' less than one pint between oil changes.

My friend still loves the Mini, but hates the company. Likewise, my friend with the 545 likes how the car drives, but isn't terribly happy with some aspects of the car (iDrive) and BMW's service.

If you're into leasing a car, BMWs can be a great choice. I buy cars and tend to keep them a long time. Ever purchase a "fuel distributor" for an '88 BMW 535is? Ouch.
Old 04-20-07, 05:32 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Which dealers do you have problems with? Reason asking, I am from your same area and want to avoid them.

Is it Irvine BMW?
Old 04-20-07, 06:19 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

From what I've deduced.......as a (very) general conclusion, BMW dealerships in urban metropolitan areas tend to have awful service. Of course, everyone has their own experiences, and there are those who do go a step beyond to provide customer satisfaction. Also, how a service dept. treats you often depends on where you bought the vehicle.

And for the record, our '04 BMW X3 with 41k miles has had only a couple minor problems, and neither of them really needed to be fixed (but I'm picky and insistent ) . Pretty reliable IMO.
Old 04-20-07, 06:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All the dealerships in urban metropolitan areas tend to have awful service.

Quick Reply: BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms