Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 06:31 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Which dealers do you have problems with? Reason asking, I am from your same area and want to avoid them.

Is it Irvine BMW?
...and/or Crevier???

I like Sterling in NB
Old 04-20-07, 07:06 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
All the dealerships in urban metropolitan areas tend to have awful service.
Another great example of urban legend/myth.
Old 04-20-07, 07:39 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
This is the general arrogant attitude of BMW brand, and most of BMW owners. They simply have no class, and this is one of the reasons I have a strong dislike and zero respect for them, but I have a lot of respect for rather humble Lexus.
Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but usually the difference between a LOT of Lexus owners vs BMW owners is that a Lexus owner may make a general and reasonable statement like JLSC4's example, while BMW owners usually don't make such statement and instead to resort to arrogant statements like "japcrap" or worse.
Originally Posted by Och
All the dealerships in urban metropolitan areas tend to have awful service.
You tend to generalize/stereotype about everything huh....
Old 04-20-07, 08:04 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
...and/or Crevier???

I like Sterling in NB
Great, bought my car there.
Old 04-21-07, 04:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Another great example of urban legend/myth.
Good luck finding a single decent dealership in Brooklyn.
Old 04-21-07, 05:42 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Brooklyn is the only metropolitan area? There are 11 dealerships in the GTA, of those I would rank 5 as very good, 5 as average, and 1 as **** poor.
Old 04-21-07, 06:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

A spun main bearing requires a whole new short block? In any case, if the car is out of warranty, it's out of warranty. There's not a lot you can do, unless you can somehow prove that the failure is the result of a mfg's defect, and appeal to their better nature.

As far as bad service, it's not so much the brand of car, as it is the particular dealership. When I owned my 330i, the service was great at Motorwerks BMW in Mpls. They bent over backwards resolving issues, and even replaced a worn out clutch under warranty (even though it wasn't covered) at 16K miles. I certainly couldn't say the same about my visits to Reeves BMW in Tampa, where my 2 visits there resulted in nothing more than a free car wash and interior vacuum.

I've had several issues with my Lexi in the past year, most of which the dealers here in FL refuse to acknowledge and fix, even though they are clearly covered under warranty. They did repair the auto trans leak on my ES330 last week, so I'll give them that.

It all depends on the dealership.
Old 04-22-07, 12:04 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
even replaced a worn out clutch under warranty (even though it wasn't covered) at 16K miles.
I don't know if it's possible for even the worst possible clutch-abusing driver to wear out a non-defective clutch in 16K miles. That ABSOLUTELY should have been covered under warranty; it was clearly a defective part!
Old 04-22-07, 12:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

...and even replaced a worn out clutch under warranty (even though it wasn't covered) at 16K miles.
Unbelievable. So much for that "Bumper to Bumper" warranty.

Under warranty terms, EVERYTHING is covered except regular service like oil changes and tires.

I would have faught the hell out of that.
Old 04-22-07, 04:58 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under maintenance, oil changes are provided. Tires are a wear and tire item as is the clutch at 16k miles. At 16k your clutch shouldn't go, which is understandable why a dealer would be hesitant to replace it.
Old 04-23-07, 05:49 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
They may seem like isolated incidents in the grand scheme of BMW sales, but I've had several friends who have not been happy with BMW service - enough to scare me away, for certain! Beyond the service issues, I really don't care for the looks of the 5-series and the 7 is getting long in the tooth and doesn't do anything for me. The 3 is just too common and too small; frankly, I won't be buying an IS for the same reasons.

The Mini was indeed purchased in 2002, my friend ordered it long before the car was delivered in the US. The car was S-T-O-C-K except for the Mini-dealer installed Sirius radio interface. The car was 34 days out of warranty. It spun a main bearing and BMW said "too bad"... interesting because all the maintenance was 'owned' and performed by the dealer. The spun bearing was caused by low oil- the car apparently used over 3.5 quarts of oil in under 2,000 miles and it never leaked a drop on the ground.

I change my Lexus oil every 4,000 miles, and to be honest, I don't check it weekly. No need to; my car has quite a few miles on it and 'uses' less than one pint between oil changes.

My friend still loves the Mini, but hates the company. Likewise, my friend with the 545 likes how the car drives, but isn't terribly happy with some aspects of the car (iDrive) and BMW's service.

If you're into leasing a car, BMWs can be a great choice. I buy cars and tend to keep them a long time. Ever purchase a "fuel distributor" for an '88 BMW 535is? Ouch.
34 days out of warranty? Your friend needs to find a new dealer. Mine has been great.

Of note, my 2003 GS430 spent 5 weeks in the shop. How many days did your BMW spend in the shop? Or is this once again, all second hand?
Old 04-24-07, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
I don't know if it's possible for even the worst possible clutch-abusing driver to wear out a non-defective clutch in 16K miles.
Easy. I've seen it done a lot quicker than that.
Old 04-24-07, 08:41 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
34 days out of warranty? Your friend needs to find a new dealer. Mine has been great.

Of note, my 2003 GS430 spent 5 weeks in the shop. How many days did your BMW spend in the shop? Or is this once again, all second hand?
My friend indeed dealt directly with Mini USA once the claim escalated to a $7,500 repair bill. Like he said "love the car, hate the company." Mini USA indeed met him part way on the replacement short block, but it still ended-up setting him back $10K (including the Cooper Works S package he upgraded to). Should I scan the receipts?

Another close friend just had an incident with a standard Mini Cooper 5-speed (non-S). The transmission broke and wouldn't engage any gear; apparently this isn't uncommon in the non-S manual transmission cars. The dealer quoted him $6,900 for a replacement transmission. After all was said and done Mini/BMW "good willed" part of the repair bill, but my friend still ended-up paying $2,000 labor.

I don't have a BMW, so it hasn't spent any time in the shop. These situations all happened to close friends who have consulted me on their service dilemmas; I work in the automotive industry, so apparently they value my opinion. Again, this is partly why I drive a Lexus.
Old 04-25-07, 12:42 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

My friend indeed dealt directly with Mini USA once the claim escalated to a $7,500 repair bill. Like he said "love the car, hate the company." Mini USA indeed met him part way on the replacement short block, but it still ended-up setting him back $10K (including the Cooper Works S package he upgraded to). Should I scan the receipts?

Another close friend just had an incident with a standard Mini Cooper 5-speed (non-S). The transmission broke and wouldn't engage any gear; apparently this isn't uncommon in the non-S manual transmission cars. The dealer quoted him $6,900 for a replacement transmission. After all was said and done Mini/BMW "good willed" part of the repair bill, but my friend still ended-up paying $2,000 labor.

I don't have a BMW, so it hasn't spent any time in the shop. These situations all happened to close friends who have consulted me on their service dilemmas; I work in the automotive industry, so apparently they value my opinion. Again, this is partly why I drive a Lexus.
Once again, I will point you to the fact that plenty of people have BMWs with no issues whatsoever. Are your chances higher of having an issue with BMW? Yes.

But man, personally, I think your friends have some serious bad luck. It is unfortunate cause you are ruling out a great car based on their experiences.
Old 04-25-07, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Something doesn't sound right here. $10,000 for an in-line 4 short-block, even an S model, and even with BMW/Mini picking up part of the bill? And almost $7000 for a small FWD manual transmission, $2000 of that out of his pocket? Come on. I could carry that pint-sized aluminum transmission home in my tote bag with little or no effort, even at my age.

I know BMW, Mercedes and Porsche repair shops cost good money, but this, IMO, is absurd.

Quick Reply: BMW targeting Lexus in showrooms