Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Buick Park Avenue for China.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 05:59 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because it IS greener... LOL
Old 04-13-07, 06:09 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If that was an import, I'd say, "Meh, it's alright."

But since it's a Buick, I say, "Whoa, that looks great! Nice work Buick!"
Old 04-13-07, 06:28 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1

LMAO
Old 04-13-07, 06:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

That looks nice considering. Put some 19'-20's, Air Runner...

So what happened to the one here?
Old 04-13-07, 07:52 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1

ha! So true. It's all about expectations.
Old 04-13-07, 08:09 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buick has as much prestige as Mercedes and BMW in China. Therefore Buick can design and sell expensive cars over there. If Buick brought this car to the US and tried to sell it for the same money as a big Bimmer and MB I doubt it would work..
Old 04-13-07, 09:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

true. Every Buick there comes with alloys, foglights, colour-keyed handles/mirrors/bodyside mouldings even on "base" models.

I guess it's sorta like Toyota selling the Crown here. There is no market for it here and people would rather buy the GS for the same money.
Old 04-14-07, 04:57 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Because us Americans will never consider getting a Buick.
Old 04-14-07, 05:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
We Americans tend to have a negative image associated with the Buick brand and even if this car came out it would be tough to sell at least in the beginning.

In China Buick is the BEST SELLING premium brand car in their entire country. This will be a guaranteed hit with them.
I've told you guys, numerous times, that Buicks were not just Grandma and Grandpa cars....there is your proof.

Even here in America, the current image of Buick as a Geezermobile is less than accurate. For example, my uncle had 3 of them in his 30's and 40's, and I had two of them myself as a teen-ager...and not GS 350/400 or Grand National hotrods either.
Old 04-14-07, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
And there is no real shame for Buick to dump their cars in China. They are just following the money. Why blame Buick for being able to successfully unload their prodcuts faster that they otherwise wouldn't be here in the North America market? Can you tell me any sensible business model that wouldn't do the same?
I don't agree that GM is just 'dumping' or 'unloading' cars in China. I'm sure they see it as a gigantic new market they want to become a key player in and are developing features unique for that market. And if they're bringing out models there before the U.S. I'd say that's smart as China is a potentially LARGER market and first in to win matters here.

Your argument is kind of like saying Toyota dumps models in the U.S. but that of course isn't the case they see it as hugely important and strategic market.
Old 04-14-07, 12:09 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Dumping is illegal mmmkay?

Its simple. GM sees a HUGE market (second largest auto industry, and rapidly growing at that) in China. Design something they like, and sell it there.

That Buick looks very aggressive. I think it would do well in North America.
Old 04-14-07, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't agree that GM is just 'dumping' or 'unloading' cars in China. I'm sure they see it as a gigantic new market they want to become a key player in and are developing features unique for that market. And if they're bringing out models there before the U.S. I'd say that's smart as China is a potentially LARGER market and first in to win matters here.
Another factor in the introduction of new models into China, although of course it doen't just apply to Buicks, is the fact that China makes it so simple. The days of the hyper-regulated Communist economy there are gone.
They are more capitalist now, and have fewer economic regulations there, then we do here in America. You can pretty much introduce and build a new vehicle there without having to deal with pollution and emission laws, gas mileage requirements, getting engines and drivetrains EPA-certified, installing expensive air bags and other safety gear, negotiating with auto-worker unions like the UAW, worrying about Insurance rankings, or any of the almost endless problems that acompany introducing and building a vehicle in North America or Europe.

Little wonder that auto manufacturers are scrambling to build and sell in China. I'm not saying that it is the way to get the best car for the money.....clearly it is not. Many vehicles in China, for reasons just noted, are lacking in comparison to those from elsewhere, and Chinese auto workers obviously do not have the pay and benefits of those in some other countries.......but building and selling the Chinese way obviously leads to low prices and high growth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-07 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 05:44 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and some of the Buicks for sale there are designed and built in China too. Shanghai to be exact.
Old 04-16-07, 12:58 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

in china, owning a car is flat out a sign of wealth. owning a hyundai is regarded as prestigious. so it makes total sense that as the middle class grows, brands and trends will start (from a brand new fresh beginning). this is where you can grab a following and ensure future success. plus add the fact that japanese brands arent going to do well in china means you just cut out like 1/3 the worlds competition right there. its little wonder GM doesnt do anything here in the US. the % gain they can have is little. same is for europe. and the part about the super rich ordering custom hummer H2s is true. its crazy.
Old 04-16-07, 08:51 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I had the chance to meet with what is GM China last year, you have to put Buick in Context to understand what is going on.

Buick is a Status symbol in China similar to that of Mercedes here in the US. They had an Emperor that drove a buick and so that was where the prestige originated from.

Also the China design is different than the US designs. In China, in China folks with Buicks dont actually drive them, they have drivers and ride in the back. So while in the US the driver seat is sweet spot, in China it is the passenger side back seat.

This means that the suspension is adjusted, the soundsystem and the sound deadeaning etc.

Also for background prodcuts that are manufactured in China are looked down upon by the Chineese, they often assume that it is of inferior quality

Also as background, in many families in China of the few families that can afford a car, this is often the first generation of that family where someone actually owns a car. In addition often and entire family will save up and chip in to buy a car. This means fathers, mothers adult children cousins etc a car in china is a big deal for the entire family and what we call extended family

Quick Reply: 2007 Buick Park Avenue for China.