Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Buick Park Avenue for China.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07 | 10:57 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default 2007 Buick Park Avenue for China.

Just as GM put the breaks on its coming wave of rear-drive models born of its Holden division in Australia, Buick China is launching its latest feast for the east at the Shanghai auto show. It's the Park Avenue, a new model derived -- like the Pontiac G8 -- on the Holden-developed Zeta platform. In content, the Park Avenue is a China-built version of the Holden Statesman, powered by Aussie 2.8-liter and 3.6-liter V6 engines, exported from Fishermans Bend, Victoria. (Not to be confused with Fisherman's Friend, Maine.) Buick's success in China is another testament to the widening belief that the Chinese and US car markets are similar to the point of interchangeable. That is, we both like big, rear-drive cars and both like Chinese food.

Press Release:

hanghai General Motors (Shanghai GM) has introduced the newest member of its Buick lineup, the Park Avenue luxury sedan.

Like the affluent New York City boulevard of the same name, Buick's Park Avenue is trendy and luxurious. With its range of advanced technologies and high-grade amenities, not to mention a stylish design that conveys a sense of power and passion, it is representative of traditional American luxury sedans.

"The Park Avenue is the perfect blend of tranquility and power," said Shanghai GM President Ding Lei. "It shows Buick's ability to move with the times while continuing to leverage GM's global resources and our local knowledge. Designed especially for business leaders and other elites, it is a component of our effort to maintain our leadership position in China by addressing the needs of all of our customers."

The Park Avenue is based on GM's new global rear-wheel-drive architecture to ensure a premium driving experience. At 5,175 mm in length, 1,899 mm in width and 1,480 mm in height, and with an impressive 3,009-mm wheelbase, the Park Avenue also offers a highly spacious ride.

The Park Avenue 's genuine leather seats are designed to accommodate people of varying sizes with 8-way power adjustment for the front seats. All seats incorporate a massage function. A high-quality entertainment system with LCD panels and an advanced heating, ventilation and air conditioning system offer the relaxation and comfort that one would expect of a luxury sedan. The Park Avenue 's GPS navigation system contains road information for more than 300 cities in China . The Bluetooth mobile phone system is also available.

Like all Buick products, the Park Avenue offers a high level of safety and peace of mind. It is equipped with the GM Local Area Network (GM-LAN) high-speed communication system, which is based on the top-of-the-line 32-bit 500 kb/second engine control system. W ith a signal transmission speed approaching real-time, information flow from various sensors is instantaneous, enhancing efficiency and safety. Further enhancing safety are six intelligent air bags for the driver and passengers.

The Park Avenue is powered by GM's smooth yet powerful AlloyTec V-6 engine, which accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.8 seconds. The engine control unit features the latest Bosch E77 32-bit ECM processor. With the Remote Engine Start (RES) function, the driver can start the engine up to 20 minutes in advance within 60 meters distance. The RES function also can adjust the temperature inside the car.

Customers have a choice of two engine displacements. The Park Avenue 's 3.6-liter engine generates maximum output of 187kW (250 hp) @ 6,500 rpm and maximum torque of 340 Nm @ 3,200 rpm. Its 2.8-liter engine offers maximum output of 150 kW (201 hp) @ 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 265 Nm @ 3,000 rpm.

Shanghai GM is offering five Park Avenue variants: the 3.6-liter Flagship, which is priced at RMB 498,800; the 3.6-liter Elite, which is priced at RMB 388,800; the 2.8-liter Luxury, which is priced at RMB 458,800; the 2.8-liter Elite, which is priced at RMB 368,800; and the 2.8-liter Comfort, which is priced at RMB 328,800.
Pics

*source
http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/chinas...nue-251730.php

Judging by pictures alone, it looks like quite an attractive car
Old 04-13-07 | 11:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Not a bad looking car. Buick has definately stepped their game up.
Old 04-13-07 | 11:08 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

well this is what GM needs in America, but they send it to a country thats main purchase on motor driven vehicles is scooters/bikes...

i swear, i dont know who is so blindly coming up with these ideas/marketing strategies
Old 04-13-07 | 11:32 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Looks good except for the fender flare or wheelwells i guess. Bring it to america.
Old 04-13-07 | 11:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Another very good looking GM design in and out that should be in America but ends up going to China, just like with the Chinese Caddy STS that looks much better and higher quality then the American redesign. Why shortchange America? I don't even think the Chinese are that picky about high quality materials in cars since their cars are so low quality and cars are not even common there. I just don't understand GM's thinking.
Old 04-13-07 | 12:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well I'm fairly certain this will be coming out here within a year of coming out in China, but I understand why. We Americans tend to have a negative image associated with the Buick brand and even if this car came out it would be tough to sell at least in the beginning.

In China Buick is the BEST SELLING premium brand car in their entire country. This will be a guaranteed hit with them.
Old 04-13-07 | 12:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I sometimes think we get shortchanged on designs in the U.S. (especially compared to some good looking Euro models I see here in Mexico), given safety and to a lesser extent emissions reasons. I have these ugly side marker lights on my RX300, but the Harriers and Euro RX300s I saw in Jamaica the other week didn't have them and they looke quite beautiful.
Old 04-13-07 | 12:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Do you guys know in China, Buick is as big as Benz, Lexus, Bmw???
I always laugh at people drive Buick in China and think they have the best car in the world... haha... St*&^*&p...
But they do get "COOL" buicks there...

and the name Park Avenue translated into " Ling Ying Da Dao" make me laugh big time....
Old 04-13-07 | 12:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

That's an interesting translation. I suppose something with 'avenue' or 'street' didn't work?
Old 04-13-07 | 12:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

It means a street under Shades of trees...
SO I guess they still use street or avenue...
just not a cool name//
Old 04-13-07 | 04:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Looks like a Saturn Aura aka Vauxhall Vectra
Old 04-13-07 | 05:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

haha, yes, a bigger size Aura/Vectra
Old 04-13-07 | 05:37 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baddis es
well this is what GM needs in America, but they send it to a country thats main purchase on motor driven vehicles is scooters/bikes...

i swear, i dont know who is so blindly coming up with these ideas/marketing strategies
According to your presumption, that China buys a lot of scooters. Sure, why not? China is a developing country and bikes and scooters are what developing nations buy. And there is no real shame for Buick to dump their cars in China. They are just following the money. Why blame Buick for being able to successfully unload their prodcuts faster that they otherwise wouldn't be here in the North America market? Can you tell me any sensible business model that wouldn't do the same?

#2, if one didn't place emphasis on hindsight bias, he would realise the anti-Japanese sentiment rooted in the Chinese communist soceity is most likely one of the driving forces that give VW and Buick more breathing room in China's auto market. But of course things aren't looking so dismal for Honda/Toyota nowadays either. Honda and Toyota now also got their own local-brands in China. These Japanese auto makers would continue to earn more Chinese dollars, or yuans, as long as the love-hate relationship is to perpetually entangle in btwn the natioinalist sentiment and pro-Jpn pop-culture.

Lastly, when China transitions into a more sustained economy, and perhaps with its Yuan becoming a stronger currency(years from now; keep in Mind our president is working very hard to maintain that 1:8 exchange ratio. And he failed, its now 1:7.723), Buick would fancy that their cars would still be idolized as much by the Chinese people then as they are now. If car buyer psychology continues to hold true, and of course I don't have a crystal ball in front of me, car buyers who have a few additional xmas dollars in their pocket would most likely rather be standing on a German car lot.

For your future reference, those new-money Chinese who profited from mines, forests, and(not "or", but "and") corruptions have been ordering specific color, trim options on MB S-class, Hummers nonstop for the past several years through So Cal dealers(I know this bc we do this too). Some of the top notch filthy-rich ones don't even need our transnaitonal service- they straight up place orders on Ferraris during the auto-expo held in China last year.
Old 04-13-07 | 05:39 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
It means a street under Shades of trees...
SO I guess they still use street or avenue...
just not a cool name//
He's right. And if you read only the 1st and the 4th word, they sound excatly as "vagina."

Last edited by tzu911; 04-13-07 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-13-07 | 05:52 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Instead of this:

we get this:

and this:

instead of this:

Not the perfect comparison but why does it always seem the grass is greener?!?

Quick Reply: 2007 Buick Park Avenue for China.