Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese design absolutely lacks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 04:34 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Somehow, i don't really see any similarity other than maybe the windows...
+1. Lets see: everyone hated the 7-series Bangle butt when it came out in 2002. And then there was the Toyota Avalon. And the new MB S-class has a seriously huge rear end. And then there's the LS460, when you overlay the side profile with a 7, they're almost identical. Who's copying who again?
Old 04-29-07, 06:33 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carenthus
Sample proof
You're really serious???
Old 05-01-07, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
+1. Lets see: everyone hated the 7-series Bangle butt when it came out in 2002.

What you you mean.......DID? I still DO. And I will tomorrow as well.
Old 05-01-07, 04:21 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you you mean.......DID? I still DO. And I will tomorrow as well.
I hate it too. But auto manufacturers seem to be adopting it. Supposedly its good for aerodynamics and trunk space
Old 05-01-07, 04:42 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I hate it too. But auto manufacturers seem to be adopting it. Supposedly its good for aerodynamics and trunk space
Exactly how much are they willing to sacrifice for aerodynamics and trunk space?

Maybe..... this much?

Old 05-14-07, 10:25 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I really don't like the new LX design, but what I find strange about the new vehicle designs that when a lot of them first come out I don't like them but over time they grow on you and I end up thinking they are good looking. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 05-14-07, 04:01 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max707
I really don't like the new LX design, but what I find strange about the new vehicle designs that when a lot of them first come out I don't like them but over time they grow on you and I end up thinking they are good looking. Anyone else seeing this?
It happens to me with lots of cars, like the new Audis with the big grilles. The new LX on the other hand is going to take a lot of effort to like the exterior of...
Old 05-15-07, 10:27 AM
JJaber06
Rookie

I think Audi has some of the nicest looking cars out right now. There isn't ONE new audi I wouldn't mind driving, and there are a lot I would trade my car in for right away. Can't say the same for Acura,BMW,Merc, or Lexus.

I like where Acura is going with thier style, and I can't wait to see how the next-gen TL is going to turn out. Hopefully, the next-gen RL will be more successful than the current one, which lacks exterior styling IMO. The interior is one of the nicest i've seen though. The current TL (04-07) has better looks than everything in its class also (BMW 330, Lexus ES, Infiniti G35 sedan etc..) The new MDX is hot as well.

BMW has gone to hell. After they stop selling the E46 M3, I can't say i'd honestly drive any of the cars they have on their line up. The 5,6,7...all ugly as sin. Too much complication with the exterior design...theres no...flow. BMW has never been known for its nice interior design, but they seem to have gotten worse somehow.

Mercedes is pretty much in the same boat, exept they're just making all of their cars look like a Maybach. The new C-class looks like a mini S-class...which is a mini Maybach! The new E class concept pictures made me throw up a little The ML and GL are pretty nice for SUV's though, i'll give them that. Plus, their AMG line can make anything amazing, so i'm not hating.

When I think of a Lexus, the last thing I think about is exterior styling. No offence to anyone, but I usually think of a layed back cruiser. I always thought the ES was the biggest joke until they released the new one, which got a little better, but still can't really compete with anything in terms of looks. The front end is stollen right from the current TL (IMO) The new GS is very nice though, as well as the IS. The LS is a mixed bag but its kind of growing on me now.
Old 05-15-07, 10:57 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
The thing is, cars like the ES and LS are mostly aimed at the more conservative group of potential buyers. They are looking for classy and smooth designs, not wild and curvy. Look at the Bangle 7 and the current S-Class. For both, I think the previous generations were much better than the current ones, in terms of how their designs attract the actual potential buyers.

The current ones are sportier and daring in design, but people in their late 40s and 50s want something that demonstrates class and taste, not sportiness and youth.

Had Lexus made the ES and LS alot sportier, they might lower the average buyers' age by alittle, but lose larger amounts of more conservative supporters.

Thank you. I agree. And that is why I like Lexus. It is conservative, and clean.. its sharp. You know compare it to white sheets. Hehe Lexus designs are very crisp. As much as those germans hate Lexus you can spot a Lexus a mile away because they.. well, are their own design. That is why I love my IS. It is clean!

You can't please everyone, but.. please keep your customers happy!

And to that comment about the current gen RX being ugly.. well, it can't be that bad.. Lexus has sold TONS of them, and they are everywhere. It certainly isn't because they are cheap. = /
Old 05-15-07, 10:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have had plenty of criticisms about Japanese design and especially Lexus in various threads here. That being said, I think that the new GS is probably one of the better looking designs to ever come from the Land of the Rising Sun, and I know I am probably alone in that notion. A few weeks ago I started a thread about how poor Lexus' OEM wheel choices are and IMO, rims make or break a design. They can either complement, or crush a car. They're the biggest detail on the exterior of a car, and Lexus historically does a **** poor job with them. The GS with 18" rims...is beautiful. It's WORLDS better looking than the exact same car with the standard 17" rims. Look at the new LS. It looks terrible with the standard 18" rims but absolutely fabulous with either of the 19" pairs from the Touring model or the Hybrid. Why can't they do this correctly?

I really think this is the best car that Lexus has done in the last few years Better than the 5 series, E Class, A6, or any other. The only other luxury sedan that I remotely hold in the same esteem is the CLS.

Unique details, beautiful shape, and awesome execution. Funny part is...I and everyone else HATED it when it first appeared on the turn table.
Old 05-15-07, 10:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

+1. Lets see: everyone hated the 7-series Bangle butt when it came out in 2002. And then there was the Toyota Avalon. And the new MB S-class has a seriously huge rear end. And then there's the LS460, when you overlay the side profile with a 7, they're almost identical. Who's copying who again?
They all copy each other, however there are characteristics in the car that set them apart.

You going to pick on Pontiac for having the BMW Kidney grill? = /
Old 05-15-07, 11:00 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

+1 The GS is beautiful.