Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GERMANY: BMW and Audi heavily reliant on fleet sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 01:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default GERMANY: BMW and Audi heavily reliant on fleet sales

GERMANY: BMW and Audi heavily reliant on fleet sales

11 April 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article summary:
Most vehicle manufacturers rely heavily on fleet sales, but German market data published today shows that BMW and Audi manufacturers are most reliant of all on fleets.

Posted Apr 12th 2007 2:09PM by Frank Filipponio

Now here's a story that won't take many Europeans by surprise. Just as GM, Chrysler and Ford get knocked for selling tons of vehicles to rental fleets in the States, BMW and Audi do basically the same thing in Europe. In fact, those two German firms lead the list of automakers who rely the most on fleet sales in their home market. This according to auto motor und sport magazine, which has reported that Audi and BMW "have the fewest private customers of all brands in Germany," with just 33.5% and 32.8% respectively. Mercedes was least likely to send a vehicle to Deutsch Hertz, with 50.1% going to private owners. VW rang in at 47.5%, Ford at 41%, and Opel tallied 39%.

To put those numbers in perspective, in the U.S., Ford sells about 66% of its vehicles now to private buyers, and 34% to fleets, which is almost the complete opposite of BMW and Audi in their home markets. Both Ford and General Motors, as well as the Chrysler Group to an extent, have managed to lower their fleet and rental sales in the first quarter of 2007.

Fleet sales take a toll on automakers because of the big discounts with which they're usually associated. The magazine says that the Focus typically sells to fleets at a discount of 28%! Passats (27%), Renault Lagunas (30+%) and Ford Mondeos (30+%) also go for a song. At 30% off those cars aren't making much if any money for the manufacturers. Essentially, they just keep the plants running, according to one sales director. It's hard to say why the percentage is so huge in Europe compared to US totals, but the fact that Americans have more vehicles per capita is probably one big factor.
via autoblog

http://www.just-auto.com/article.asp...alrt3&amd=3069

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-13-07 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-13-07, 03:39 PM
LexFather

Its becoming more and more clear that the "image" that has been played out is crumbling before our eyes. Wow, those numbers are ridiculous.

Old 04-13-07, 04:05 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its becoming more and more clear that the "image" that has been played out is crumbling before our eyes. Wow, those numbers are ridiculous.
It is true that MB and BMW are very careful in maintaining their premium image in US - which does not necessarily reflect reality. In France in 2000, I saw a lot of MB's which were used as taxis. They were basic cars - no leather, stick. Here, you cannot get a stick MB and will have a hard time finding one without leather. The interesting question is: is this image crafted because the companies want to maintain their premium status, or is it because that's what their customers want? I have a nagging suspision that I am in the minority when I want an MB without leather and auto...
Old 04-13-07, 04:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A CLS police car???? I have seen a GS police car pic for the UK, but seriously, a CLS? Actually apparently based on the article, the Benz is the rarity.
Old 04-13-07, 04:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to know... so Domestic cars doesn't sell well then...
Old 04-13-07, 08:58 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Does it show total sales, instead of just percentages of sales?

Question: say you had an RS4; does the fact that Audi sells a high percentage of fleet vehicles make your car less fun?
Old 04-14-07, 09:29 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Believe it or not, things actually do change when you leave the US.

Mercedes-Benz builds vans (the Dodge Sprinter sold in the US is actually a Daimler-Benz design which uses the Mercedes badge in Europe) and long haul trucks. The BMW 3er and 5er are used across Germany and many other areas of western Europe as police vehicles. Audi is a luxury-oriented VW subsidiary, so most of their fleet sales are to rental agencies.

The concept in Germany/Europe is the same as it is (or was) in Japan, where Lexus products were sold under the Toyota badge. Rest assured that a diesel E-class fleet taxi is not looked at in the same way as a privately owned E500. Even so, the differences between the relatively cheap low end versions and the high end versions are only skin deep. Once you see this, you begin to realize just how profitable and overpriced the typical "luxury" car is.
Old 04-17-07, 10:25 AM
LexFather

M-B wants big increase in fleet sales
Jason Stein / Automotive News / 4/16/2007 9:23:00 AM
Mercedes-Benz is targeting double-digit percentage growth in its fleet business in the next two years.

The premium carmaker expects the growth to be driven by its new C-class lower-premium sedan,
which went on sale last month, and the next medium-premium E class, due next year.
Klaus Maier, Mercedes’ executive vice president for sales and marketing, said the automaker is
pitching its new C class to fleet operators such as the Siemens industrial group and other major
corporations.

“We are trying to get more speed (in fleet sales) than we have ever had,” Maier told Automotive
News Europe.
2006 fleet leaders
Europe’s top-selling upper-medium/lower-premium cars:
1. VW Passat
2. BMW 3 series
3. Audi A4
4. Peugeot 407
Europe’s top-selling medium-premium cars:
1. Audi A6
2. BMW 5 series
3. Mercedes E class
4. Volvo V70, XC70
‘Attractive’ margins
Fleet sales are important to premium automakers because they can usually achieve profit levels that
are very close to retail prices. Maier said fleet sales have “attractive” margins.

Such sales also give automakers access to affluent customers without having to offer large
incentives. In the UK, fleet sales accounted for 36 percent of all registrations in 2005, according to
market researchers Dataforce. In Germany they accounted for 18 percent in 2005.
Maier said Mercedes’ fleet sales are weak compared with its rivals. Dataforce says 19.1 percent of
Mercedes’ European sales are to fleet customers, compared with Audi’s 32 percent and BMW’s 26.6
percent.
In the last six months, Mercedes has set up new fleet sales organization and invited fleet
decision-makers at large corporations to review the C class before the car’s March launch.
Said Maier: “That was something we had not done at such an early stage.”

Last edited by LexFather; 12-01-10 at 11:00 AM.

Old 04-17-07, 11:23 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, but I sure wish we had some Mercedes, Audi and BMW cab and car service drivers here in the States. That would make for fun transport.

And I am sure most police precincts would love to be in a German Sedan Police Car, rather than that Crown Vic. LOL

But really, I already knew that BMWs and Mercedes were used heavily in fleets in Europe...because many times when I watch a movie or documentary based in Europe, you see Mercedes and BMW cabs and such. So it's really no surprise. Bimmers and Mercedes are mainstream in Europe, like our Chevy's and Pontiacs. The european market gets many more engine and transmission choices, so some of those base Bimmers and Mercedes are cheap in Europe.
Old 04-17-07, 11:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Question: say you had an RS4; does the fact that Audi sells a high percentage of fleet vehicles make your car less fun?
Exactly the same question occurred to me. It sure doesn't as far as I am concerned.

I personally couldn't care less what percentage of a car I really like (fun to drive and dependable) is to fleet sales or not.
Old 04-17-07, 11:43 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

OMG... the sky is falling.
Old 04-18-07, 12:17 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

This doesn't prove anything.