Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 12:14 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS460 >>>>>>> Azzera

Azzera is an Avalon competitor. It can't touch the LS and
should not even be mentioned in the same commercial as an
LS460
Old 04-14-07, 02:09 PM
LexFather

If we cannot post in a mature matter without the shots at races, people, religions, countries, personal attacks etc, they will be deleted.

Old 04-14-07, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
It's laughable but flattering to the LS460 that the Azera is trying to compare itself.

The Azera is a great car for the money, it seems, but comparing themselves to the LS460 is a ridiculous stretch IMO. More car for the money? Sure. More or even the same amount of car overall? Heck no.
I tried to make it clear, in my posts, that the two cars were not the same by any means but that the Azera offered more for the dollar. If I did not make that point clear, I will do so now.

My #1 reason that I refuse to buy any Hyundai is their ridiculously bad depreciation.
All the more reason to look at used ones...especially the better-built newer ones. That makes them an even better bargain.
And that's only because the economics of the leasing and used-car markets have not quite caught up to the realities of Hyundai's position in today's new-car market. When they do....and there are some signs that is happening....the depreciation curve will flatten out a little more. Lease payments on new Hyundais will also come down because lease payments are calculated, in part, on the difference in new-car value vs. the projected residual value ( depreciation) over the lease term...typically 2-4 years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 03:41 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rather drive a camry than Azera...
Azera is no competiton to Lexus... not even Acura...
Personally, I am mad since Hyundai is comparing their piece of ^%$^& with LS460... I am offensed even I don;t have a LS460 yet...
Lexus> any Asian brand!! Period!
Old 04-14-07, 03:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can just imagine Lexus trying to advertise like Hyundai.

"ES350 is faster than any Rolls Royce, and is $500,000 cheaper too..."
Old 04-14-07, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Apologies to you and mmarshall for the misunderstanding, that wasn't what I meant. I was responding to Hyundai's audacity at making the comparison, not to mmarshall's as always valid points. I posted early in the a.m., not my best time.

Agreed, the Azera is a GREAT car for the money!!!
A ride in that new Miata with the top down on a nice morning on the way to work should wake you up nicely, bit...especially if you hit the local Starbucks on the way in. .

Hyundai's audacity? Yes and no. The Azera, true, is no LS460, but, IMO, it is a nice step up from the average sedan on the way up TO an LS460....and a car that I would consider myself as a purchase, though I know it is too conservative and stodgy a vehicle for many sporting types. It is basically an Avalon that is more cost-efficient, though it can't quite equal the Avalon's noise isolation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 03:48 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus? Give me a break, I'd be embarrassed to drive Azera or anything else they ever produced. I'd rather drive a breat up 1980's Civic than a brand new Azera.
WOW!!! I am speechless.
Old 04-14-07, 04:04 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai, but Isn't the value card what Lexus played when it came to the market?

Just an observation.

For the record Lexus > Hyundai 365 1/4 days clear, 365 in a leap year
Old 04-14-07, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I wouldn't buy a Hyundai, but Isn't the value card what Lexus played when it came to the market?

Just an observation.

For the record Lexus > Hyundai 365 1/4 days clear, 365 in a leap year
A leap year has 366 days. That gives Hyundai one day to catch up.

And while the new Lexus LS and GS are superb machines, the new ES350.......the Lexus product nearest to the Azera, is, IMO, clearly a disappointment.
Old 04-14-07, 04:21 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I can just imagine Lexus trying to advertise like Hyundai.

"ES350 is faster than any Rolls Royce, and is $500,000 cheaper too..."

I'm sure the person looking for an LS460 in a Lexus showroom is going to head straight to the nearest Hyundai dealer to check out the Azera!!!
Old 04-14-07, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GStateOM

I'm sure the person looking for an LS460 in a Lexus showroom is going to head straight to the nearest Hyundai dealer to check out the Azera!!!

Please read my posts. I, and others, have made it clear, several times, that the Azera was a nice car on the way UP to an LS, NOT a LS competitor....and that the Azera was a good value for the dollar. Some people want at least a fairly nice luxury car but don't nave 70K for a new LS. THEY are the ones who might be checking out the Azera, Avalon, and Buick Lucerne...although the Lucerne, quality-wise, despite GM's hoopla, is a clear step below the other two.

I agreed with bitkahuna in an earlier post that despite the Azera's excellence for the money, Hyundai cannot really compare it to an LS. But.......such is the world of auto marketing.....the BS comes, thick and heavy, and never stops. (and, believe me........if anyone is used to reading auto-market BS, I am). Lexus, in their ads, has enough BS of its own, especially for the new ES.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 04:42 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A leap year has 366 days. That gives Hyundai one day to catch up.

And while the new Lexus LS and GS are superb machines, the new ES350.......the Lexus product nearest to the Azera, is, IMO, clearly a disappointment.

You know what I mean
Old 04-14-07, 04:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to make it clear, in my posts, that the two cars were not the same by any means but that the Azera offered more for the dollar. If I did not make that point clear, I will do so now.
Why would my post make you feel compelled to clear the air on your opinion? My statement was not directed toward you.
Old 04-14-07, 04:49 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Please read my posts. I, and others, have made it clear, several times, that the Azera was a nice car on the way UP to an LS, NOT a LS competitor....and that the Azera was a good value for the dollar. Some people want at least a fairly nice luxury car but don't nave 70K for a new LS. THEY are the ones who might be checking out the Azera, Avalon, and Buick Lucerne...although the Lucerne, quality-wise, despite GM's hoopla, is a clear step below the other two.
no no, I agree. It's just that it is a very far-fetched comparison on the part of Hyundai.

If they were to compare it to the Avalon, then yes, it would be more appropriate. I admit that I am biased, but I personally like the Avalon more. Although both were nice and smooth, I felt the Avalon handled a bit better and I like the interior more. But the Azera is a great car for the money, no question about that.
Old 04-14-07, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Why would my post make you feel compelled to clear the air on your opinion? My statement was not directed toward you.

OK, if that's the case, fine. No problem.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460