Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07 | 12:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97

If you GAVE me a Hyundai... I'd sell flatbed it to the nearest dealership and sell it instantly.... I will NEVER purchase such a vehicle... quality over junk inthe past or not...
The dealership would probably be glad to take the car off your hands....they know a good product when they see it.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:09 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I really underestimated the ignorance of the general public if average attitudes towards Hyundai are reflective of those on this board. Luckily Toyota execs have a better outlook, as they recognize legitimate threats no matter the source.

And am I the only one who thinks all this "Hyundai sucks--always has, always will" sound just like the head-in-the-sand American auto companies in the 70s facing the threat from econobox Japanese cars?
Old 05-02-07 | 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Wow, I really underestimated the ignorance of the general public if average attitudes towards Hyundai are reflective of those on this board. Luckily Toyota execs have a better outlook, as they recognize legitimate threats no matter the source.

And am I the only one who thinks all this "Hyundai sucks--always has, always will" sound just like the head-in-the-sand American auto companies in the 70s facing the threat from econobox Japanese cars?
You are right on. Hyundai has basically followed Toyota, and has now caught up to them in most things....even quality (Hyundai is now #3 overall on J.D. Power's quality ranking and the top non-luxury brand).

History, though, may repeat itself, as it did with Toyota in the 70's-80's and Hyundai in the 2000's. Hyundai itself may have something to be concerned with when the new Chinese cars arrive soon. Yes, the Chinese cars will likely be junk, just as Hyundai was 20 years ago. But 20 years from now, the Chinese will be where Hyundai is TODAY.

The new Chinese cars, BTW, will be #1 on my review list as soon as they become available here in America. I can't wait to see how well....or how lousy......the Chinese actually design and build them.
Old 05-02-07 | 07:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I can't believe that so many are taking this commercial as a serious comparison. They couldn't make this commercial any more tongue-in-cheek than it is. What Hyundai is saying is that luxury doesn't HAVE TO cost you 75 large.

It's not going after the person who can afford the LS. It's going after those who can't. It's Hyundai's way of saying, "Look, we know you can't afford the Lexus. But we've got a car that feels plenty luxurious which you can afford".

It's really rather brilliant once you think about it. Hyundai is pretty much elevating thier product by assocation with Lexus.
Old 05-02-07 | 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I can't believe that so many are taking this commercial as a serious comparison. They couldn't make this commercial any more tongue-in-cheek than it is. What Hyundai is saying is that luxury doesn't HAVE TO cost you 75 large.

It's not going after the person who can afford the LS. It's going after those who can't. It's Hyundai's way of saying, "Look, we know you can't afford the Lexus. But we've got a car that feels plenty luxurious which you can afford".

It's really rather brilliant once you think about it. Hyundai is pretty much elevating thier product by assocation with Lexus.
I wouldn't really call the Hyundai Azera a true luxury car, certainly not in the LS460's league, although it is extremely well-built, especially for the price, and, like the Ford Fusion, has had an excellent repair record its first year out....unusual for many cars. The Azera, for the most part, competes directly with the Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, V6-equipped Buick Lucernes, and its own cousin, the Kia Amanti.
Old 05-02-07 | 09:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't really call the Hyundai Azera a true luxury car, certainly not in the LS460's league, although it is extremely well-built, especially for the price, and, like the Ford Fusion, has had an excellent repair record its first year out....unusual for many cars. The Azera, for the most part, competes directly with the Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, V6-equipped Buick Lucernes, and its own cousin, the Kia Amanti.
No, it's not a true luxury car. It's an affordable car with many luxury features and conveniences. And that's really what the ad is about. They never once claim that the Azera is as refined, well-built or prestigious as the LS, they simply say that it has many of the same conveniences as the Lexus for 1/2 the price. For a lot of people who's financial lives are spent closer to planet earth, that's a strong message.
Old 05-02-07 | 01:46 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
I was on the floor bawlin' when I saw that stupid ad.... and was gonna post, ..but ya'll beat me to it.

If you GAVE me a Hyundai... I'd sell flatbed it to the nearest dealership and sell it instantly.... I will NEVER purchase such a vehicle... quality over junk inthe past or not...

No class.... No style.... No originality ( Kia & Hyundai are the knock off kings )... No innovation... No status.....

If you valeted that car... they'd probably park it in someone else's parking garage.... and it for sure wouldn't get front row parking with the Porsche's, Lambo's... Lexus's, Bimmers, and Benzes.
Mmm...I love the smell of superficiality and ignorance in the morning...

Every frog was a tadpole at one point.
Old 05-02-07 | 01:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new Chinese cars, BTW, will be #1 on my review list as soon as they become available here in America. I can't wait to see how well....or how lousy......the Chinese actually design and build them.
Before you even bother, look at anything else the Chinese have built. Pure junk. What makes you think their cars may be different?
Old 05-02-07 | 02:01 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Before you even bother, look at anything else the Chinese have built. Pure junk. What makes you think their cars may be different?
Thats abit outlandish. My trusty skillcraft pen is awesome and made in china. :P
Old 05-02-07 | 03:21 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I was laughing at all three new Hyundai commercials.

Santa Fe vs. Land Rover LR3
Sonata vs. BMW 525i
Azera vs. Lexus LS460

This is super ridiculous.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:11 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Mmm...I love the smell of superficiality and ignorance in the morning...

Every frog was a tadpole at one point.
You are a member of CL right.... and I would assume you drive a Lexus, or hope to one day if you don't correct????

I don't think anyone here would trade their LS / GS / SC / LX / GX and even the RX / ES for a Hyundai.... so I'm not sure where you're going with that one...

I have 2 lex's and sold the 3rd,... and have had 8 cars to date ( 32 yrs old ),... so I'd think if I have gotten to a point of preference.... I don't feel it superficial... because everyone has a preference..... if owning a nice car and liking the things that classify a vehicle as luxurious, classy, and stylish,...then everyone on this board with more than an econobox would fall into that category.

Ignorance.... it's ignorant to compare apples and peanuts, food and dirt, hyundai and lexus flagship....

Ignorance is thinkin' just because a company has improved automatically means that they've superceeded another company because THEY SAY SO.

Ignorance is comparing a 30K car to 70K car... I'd say it'd be safer to say... the comparsion should be in one's budget vs value of items interested in...

Ignorance is expecting someone to value something they don't like past the fact it has four wheels, seats 5, has working AC, and will get you from A to B safely.

The only thing succesful about that ad is, it is effectively targeting lower income people who want to LOOK like they have Baller Status without the cost of actually being one in the public's eyes... and comparing this vehicle to a vehicle most of the public can't afford.

The Chrysler 300 is another fine example of knock-off-ism.... and the KIA that imitated the jaguar.... marketing to mentality, that ultimately isn't concerned with QUALITY... but other things....

I think it's like comparing some off brand plasma tv to a Pioneer Elite... both show pictures, but not really the same...
Old 05-02-07 | 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

Well, not quite. They do some of the best hand-made oriental rugs in the world.

If you noted my post, I said it was likely that the Chinese cars WOULD be poorly-made (I hope not as poor as many of their DRIVERS ).....but I am sorely waiting to find out. It is not every day that we have the prospect of all-new cars from a all-new country being imported for the first time. The last time that happened was over 20 years ago.....so naturally, as a car buff, I'm a little anxious to see what the Chinese are going to give us. And, if they ARE junk, you're read enough of my car reviews to know that I will be honest and say so....and, of course, you can also go look at them yourself, if there are any dealerships or new-car shows near you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:14 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually think they made the LS460 look the best out of their 3 ads against the LS, LR3 and 525. They claim that their cars were actually better than the 525i and LR3 while with the LS, I get the impression that they're saying both are just as good for 35 grand less. Not saying that I agree with it, but I don't think they really "dissed" the LS in any way.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I actually think they made the LS460 look the best out of their 3 ads against the LS, LR3 and 525. They claim that their cars were actually better than the 525i and LR3 while with the LS, I get the impression that they're saying both are just as good for 35 grand less. Not saying that I agree with it, but I don't think they really "dissed" the LS in any way.
Hyundais, reliability-wise, on the average, ARE better than the 525 and LR3. But, obviously (and you can take my word for this, as I have driven most new Hyundais), they are NOT driver's cars like a 5-series. Few vehicles are.
Old 05-02-07 | 04:25 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i have only seen the lexus one, in that ad they said the azera and LS has 10 speakers? i thought the LS has at least has 15?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460