Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 10:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460

Probably a repost with my timing. Search was way slow to verify posts.

Anyway, the new Hyundai Azera commercial compares itself to the LS460. While the LS460 can park itself, with the Hyundai you can pay someone to...$29,XXX.

Oh man.
Old 04-13-07, 11:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai is getting desperate it seems. The big bosses in South Korea want to see a big boost this year for US sales, but the problem is sales so far are down, not up. North American Hyundai officials are under huge pressure to boost sales.
Old 04-13-07, 11:43 PM
acerfan
Rookie

hyundai = lexus? hahahaha
Old 04-14-07, 01:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They actually put an LS 460 in the ad??? to the Lexus, but for trying to taint the flagship with association to an Avalon-competing Hyundai.

Sounds like a case of envy, and maybe even trying to get a bit of the glory by standing next to the almighty LS.

Actually this reminds me of 1989 too, with the LS champagne glasses ad. A few months later, there was a Nissan Altima ad doing the same thing, and implying that you saved a lot of money by buying the cheaper, lower class model.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and even referencing the famous LS ads...but kinda lacking originality. But when you're at the top, you have to learn to take the licks...even the crass and dumb ones.
Old 04-14-07, 03:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys need to get yourselves down to a Hyundai dealership, look at, and test-drive some of their products. Dollar for dollar, when you look at the difference in pricing between some of their products, Hyundai gives you more vehicle....and more warranty....for each dollar spent.
Now, that is not to say that the Azera is the equal of an LS460.....it certainly is not. I know....I have reviewed both cars. But considering the fact that one car, fully loaded, is around 30K at the most, and the other can run 75K or more, the Azera, both price-wise and quality-wise, is an astounding bargain.

And, backing my statement up, will I put my money where my mouth is? You bet. The Azera is #2 on the list for my next personal vehicle...behind another new Subaru.
Old 04-14-07, 04:07 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You guys need to get yourselves down to a Hyundai dealership, look at, and test-drive some of their products. Dollar for dollar, when you look at the difference in pricing between some of their products, Hyundai gives you more vehicle....and more warranty....for each dollar spent.
Now, that is not to say that the Azera is the equal of an LS460.....it certainly is not. I know....I have reviewed both cars. But considering the fact that one car, fully loaded, is around 30K at the most, and the other can run 75K or more, the Azera, both price-wise and quality-wise, is an astounding bargain.

And, backing my statement up, will I put my money where my mouth is? You bet. The Azera is #2 on the list for my next personal vehicle...behind another new Subaru.
Good points.

However, Hyundai needs to beef up the body of the Azera. It is too small and rounded. This might help them "compete" with the LS460. Ha ha.
Old 04-14-07, 04:31 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I'm glad mmarshall swooped in when he did, because he made the points I was going to. Is anyone going to cross-shop the Azera and the LS? Of course not. But from a marketing perspective it's a good move. And as they continue to move Hyundai upmarket in the eyes of the American consumer, this is just another piece of that puzzle. The people who remember Hyundais as rattle-trap econoboxes are fading, and a new generation is coming up who see them as roughly equal to Honda, Nissan, and Toyota.
Old 04-14-07, 04:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

No V8, no RWD, no sophisticated climate control, no Mark Levinson, no cameras, adaptive headlights, heck Hyundai hasn't even offered navigation (maybe now?), no, mmarshall, as much as Hyundai has been improved you'd have to be blind and numb to not see MAJOR differences in an Azera and an LS460.
Old 04-14-07, 04:39 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No V8, no RWD, no sophisticated climate control, no Mark Levinson, no cameras, adaptive headlights, heck Hyundai hasn't even offered navigation (maybe now?), no, mmarshall, as much as Hyundai has been improved you'd have to be blind and numb to not see MAJOR differences in an Azera and an LS460.
That's not what he said. He clearly said dollar for dollar, the Azera is an astounding value even though it is certainly no LS. You can get almost 2 1/2 Azera's for the price of an LS.

The two cars are world's apart but we have to give Hyundai credit. No one gives you more luxury (and quality to go with it) for the price.
Old 04-14-07, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes and no, bit. The Azera Limited costs 30K +/-. The LS460 is often 70-plus. You expect some differences, and of course they are there....the LS460, for example, currently sets the industry standard for noise isolation, an outstanding stereo, and general refinement....not to mention the self-park feature. But I'd sure like to see what a 70-plus HYUNDAI would be like.....in your own words, one would have to e blind and numb not to imagine THAT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-07 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 05:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus? Give me a break, I'd be embarrassed to drive Azera or anything else they ever produced. I'd rather drive a breat up 1980's Civic than a brand new Azera.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-14-07 at 07:25 AM. Reason: for inappropiate vocab
Old 04-14-07, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus? Give me a break, I'd be embarrassed to drive Azera or anything else they ever produced. I'd rather drive a breat up 1980's Civic than a brand new Azera.
With that attitude, perhaps Hyundai dealers would be embarassed to sell you one. They are making money and selling good products whether you buy one or not.

So enjoy your worn-out Civic.

I'm not trying to be rude with you, only illustrating a point.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-14-07 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
That's not what he said. He clearly said dollar for dollar, the Azera is an astounding value even though it is certainly no LS. You can get almost 2 1/2 Azera's for the price of an LS.
Apologies to you and mmarshall for the misunderstanding, that wasn't what I meant. I was responding to Hyundai's audacity at making the comparison, not to mmarshall's as always valid points. I posted early in the a.m., not my best time.

The two cars are world's apart but we have to give Hyundai credit. No one gives you more luxury (and quality to go with it) for the price.
Agreed, the Azera is a GREAT car for the money!!!
Old 04-14-07, 08:41 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's laughable but flattering to the LS460 that the Azera is trying to compare itself.

The Azera is a great car for the money, it seems, but comparing themselves to the LS460 is a ridiculous stretch IMO. More car for the money? Sure. More or even the same amount of car overall? Heck no.

My #1 reason that I refuse to buy any Hyundai is their ridiculously bad depreciation.

It's currently bad enough that if you buy that 30k dollar Hyundai and sell it 3 to 5 years later you'll probably have been better off buying a 40k dollar Lexus and selling it in the same time frame. You'll come out ahead, fiscally, and get to drive a nicer car too.
Old 04-14-07, 09:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Didn't the azera compared themselves to the 760(I don't think they even said Li") earlier?......I remembered them saying more legroom than a 760...

It's true, one could buy an azera and have $50,000 left to have someone park it for them.

Give them time like Lexus and maybe they could be where lexus is.

In the meanwhile, I don't think I can compare an LS to an Azera

Quick Reply: Hyundai Azera goes after the LS460