Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese cars = low torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 04:15 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does it matter?

My car is faster and handles better than 90% of domestic cars with similar horsepower ratings, despite lower torque numbers. Faster, smaller displacement, better reliability, better fuel economy to boot.
Old 04-14-07, 04:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm, I wouldn't say Japanese cars are low torque, its just that generally Japanese cars ship with smaller engines, so obviously they produce less torque. But then again, liter for liter, Japanese engines produce the most torque and HP.
Old 04-14-07, 04:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The term "Jap" isn't very appropriate. It's actually pretty offensive.

Yes, I agree... I am not Japanese, but calling anything Jap is not appropriate. And I find it offensive. The title is offensive in its own way...

Maybe you should change your title and description.
Old 04-14-07, 05:21 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the other side of the argument one could always ask why do American cars lack high RPM range? Where is the fun staying low in the RPM band? I want to scream at 8000 RPM Hmmm, I guess it is different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-14-07, 05:30 PM
LexFather

Honda in particular lacks low end torque. Toyota and Lexus cars have torque. My car has 325lbs of torque with all of it available at 2300 rpm I believe. Nissan and Infiniti cars have torque. Suburu's have torque.

Now American cars are still about displacement, the Vette is 6 liters and Z06 7 liters!!

However, lets look at the Japanese 3.5 V-6 vs the Americans 3.5 V-6. The Japanese engine makes more HP & Torque.

The LS 460 makes what 360lbs of torque.

The Lexus HYRBIDS make more torque immediately than anything on the road, we can't even measure it using regular SAE guidelines

Old 04-14-07, 05:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not all Japanese engines are low in torque. Some of the few already listed here are pretty reasonable IMO. The Lexus V8's seem to be high in torque. The new line of Toyota V6 engines seem to have a fair amount of torque and spread over a pretty flat rev range. The new Nissan V6 engines seem to have a good amount of torque. Even the Misubishi V6 engines arent all that bad.

Those that dont are usually 4 cylinders and some Honda motors.

But what exactly are you comparing them too?? I think the Japanese engines are very competitive.

Last edited by GFerg; 04-14-07 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Torque by itself is unimportant. Where you make torque is very important. How soon does it hit 90 percent of peak? That's really important.

Sure Carroll said torque wins races, but it's not really true if you mean engine torque. If you mean torque at the wheel, then for sure, that wins races. But there are plenty of mathematics to show how superior horsepower with the correct gearing will win over "torque" every time.

Besides, torque is what makes you feel good, but it isn't what propels you to the finish line faster. Horsepower does that.
Old 04-14-07, 09:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

torque is nothing without gearing. In many cases, gearing can make up for the lack of torque via torque multiplication. Cars like the Honda S2000 are quick, thanks to its weight, gearing, and high end hp.
Old 04-14-07, 10:53 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend's Honda Accord has no torque. My mom's Sienna surprises me with wheelspin and torque steer if I mash the gas off the line, that 3MZ-FE makes a good amount of torque...
Old 04-15-07, 03:39 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ferrari dont make a lot of tq for its engine size and the m5 doesnt either, why is isn't the comparison na vs na
Old 04-15-07, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Torque by itself is unimportant. Where you make torque is very important. How soon does it hit 90 percent of peak? That's really important.

Sure Carroll said torque wins races, but it's not really true if you mean engine torque. If you mean torque at the wheel, then for sure, that wins races. But there are plenty of mathematics to show how superior horsepower with the correct gearing will win over "torque" every time.

Besides, torque is what makes you feel good, but it isn't what propels you to the finish line faster. Horsepower does that.
You have to remember, though, that you can't necessarily have power and top speed both. All else equal, if you maximize torque multiplication.....and low-end acceleration....with short gearing in the drivetrain, you are going to run out of RPM's...and potential top speed......sooner than a car with taller gearing, which will take more time getting UP to speed, but will ultimately pass and wave bye-bye to the car with the drag-strip acceleration.

In general, the best way to maximize both is to add more gears to the transmission (or use a CVT) but adding more gears often increases weight, and production CVT transmissions usually do not have sufficient durability for hard, drag-strip use.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-15-07 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:19 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Car & Driver......
3-SERIES COUPE
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear- or 4-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
Base price: $35,995-$41,295
Engines: DOHC 24-valve 3.0-liter inline-6, 230 hp, 200 lb-ft; twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.0-liter inline-6, 300 hp, 300 lb-ft

So lets see here. BMWs 3.0 liter kicks out 230 and 200 lb-ft.

My IS250 2.5 liter (not 3.0 liter) or 31 cubic inches LESS than the BMW puts out 204 hp and 185 lb-ft. Sounds to me like Lexus knows what their doing here.

Is it fair to compare a TWIN TURBO's torque with a normally aspirated engine? Maybe to the Motor Trend comic book group....I don't know
You are comparing their "detuned" 3.0L engine... compare your car with last year's 330i engine at 255hp and 222 lb-ft of torque for a more fair comparison.

See ElitistK's response for the only real answer here regarding the torque question.
Old 04-15-07, 10:48 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races

- Carroll Shelby
i would think hp in powerband wins races. not torque.
Old 04-15-07, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
i would think hp in powerband wins races. not torque.
Again, it depends on the kind of race you are talking about. Torque wins drag races. High-end HP wins on superspeedways like Indy, Daytona, and Talladega.
A balance of torque and HP wins on winding tracks and road courses like Formula 1.
Old 04-15-07, 01:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

HP does not exist without torque, once again this is turning into a pointless hp vs torque argument

Quick Reply: Japanese cars = low torque