Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS350 v. 335ci v. mustang GT v. STi v. Evo v. Z v. G35C

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 10:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 13loody
With that much extra weight, I highly doubt it. If it were more like 1000lbs, then yeah, I believe you would. It would just take a bit longer. Also, with all the advancements made in aerodynamics, supercars can easily reach 300mph from a drag coefficient stand point.

That's enough for me tonight; time to go work out and then crash, peace out.
Whoa, 300mph? For one, we have to develop a tire that can go that fast.
Secondly, if the Bugatti needs 1,000hp to get to 252mph, well to get to 300mph it would require, well more power.

I am sure there is a formula to figure that out. I read it in EVO once.

Old 04-17-07, 11:40 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
Everyone and their Grandma knows it's horsepower to the rear wheels that tells the true power of the engine. And the 335i has more HP to the rear wheels than the is350.
You are right! My assumption was based on a perfect scenario where all other factors were being equal.
Old 04-18-07, 04:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whoa, 300mph? For one, we have to develop a tire that can go that fast.
There are rubber tires that can go a lot faster than that. They were developed years ago for jet-powered cars that run at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah for the Land Speed Record. But they are very thin, completely solid rubber (air would expand inside too much in the heat), and, needless to say, completely impractical for any kind of street car.

Likewise for the big NHRA drag slicks that are used for the top-fuel, nitro, and funny-cars with the drag chutes...they accelerate from a stop to well over 300 MPH in just a few seconds. But, again, they are impractical (and illegal) for street cars.
Old 04-18-07, 06:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
haha, no offense taken. I learned what I needed to learn for my physics exams and as soon as the exams were done the information left my brain for good.

So after all that, is it correct to assume that if my car can hit 186mph, my same car loaded up with 10000lbs of weight will not be able to reach 186mph?
If you could fill your car with depleted uranium and add 10,000 lbs without changing the external shape AND the added weight did not increase the friction (of course that can't be because the tires aren't going to like that much load anyway) then your top speed would be unchanged, but the time to arrive at that top speed would dramatically increase.

Adding your friend to film will not change your top speed significantly unless he's sticking the camera out the window. But it will take a little longer to get to top speed.

Adding your friend while drag racing will slow you down. That's right back to F=MA.

And now, here's something to ponder: as you approach top speed, A approaches zero. If we substitute zero for A in our equation, how much does mass still matter?