Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on new 328i, mom is considering leasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
328s are great cars, C&D picked it over the new G35.
I think a 4k difference in trade in value is a BIG difference and should be haggled.

I agree with 1SICK. If your mom's Highlander is in good shape and has had no accidents or body work, 17K for it is more reasonable than 13K....but the 55,000 mileage figure for a 2004 is somewhat more than average (12,000-15,000 a year). That will cut into its value a little; not a huge amount....the Highlander is popular and in high demand both new and used.
Old 04-16-07, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MB2006
I think 40g for small sedan like 3 series way to much .i just paid 41g for fully loaded 08 RX .
I agree the 3-series is overpriced, but its extreme popularity as a sport sedan and its more-or-less tradition of winning or almost winning auto-magazine comparison tests has allowed BMW to charge....and get....premium prices, especially for the M3 models.
Old 04-16-07, 07:29 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the 3-series is overpriced, but its extreme popularity as a sport sedan and its more-or-less tradition of winning or almost winning auto-magazine comparison tests has allowed BMW to charge....and get....premium prices, especially for the M3 models.
I think it has more to do with the fact that it says "BMW" on the hood than the fact that it wins a lot of comparison tests. The people who read comparison tests would be more likely to get a 335i than a 328
Old 04-16-07, 07:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's true, doug, but perhaps that is the reason WHY they they don't own one. The average car buyer is not going to sink anywhere between 35 and 80K into a vehicle with a feature that he or she just cannot live with. The people on these boards who DO own BMW's with I-Drive have seen the cars, test-driven them, and then have decided, like you and genearch, that they CAN live with the I-Drive day in and day out, and have acted accordingly. Not everyone, however, is in that group....and many of those who test cars and write about them in the auto press aren't either. It is something that die-hard Chris Bangle BMW fans are just going to have to accept......just like I myself have to accept the fact that not everyone has my extremely high opinion of the new Acura RL.
Maybe - I won't argue the fact that some people are just so confused by it that they don't buy the car. But I will argue that is a very very small percentage. Most people who test drive a car, do not get into using all the gizmos. I'd argue that few people who test drive a lexus ever realize you can't program the NAV while driving - would that stop them from purchasing the car? Probably not - would that stop them from getting NAV? Maybe.... My point is that I do doubt that I-Drive costs very many sales from a test drive perspective.

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I think it has more to do with the fact that it says "BMW" on the hood than the fact that it wins a lot of comparison tests. The people who read comparison tests would be more likely to get a 335i than a 328
This is a class of car - people cross shop the IS/G/TL/3-series. My wife's friend cross shopped both the 325 and the IS250 and she much preferred the 325 simply from the way it drove. However at the time she was putting 25K a year on her car and she was keeping her car for upwards of 150K. Having just come from a Volvo, I recommended she stick with the Toyota product.....

Last edited by doug_999; 04-16-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 07:56 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think BMW can get $45,000 for a small sport sedan because it's hard to find a small sedan that does everything dynamically so well.

It just feels good, especially when you're trying to beat it up. No need for the I-Drive, and skip that active steering option as well. Neither are needed.

The G35 is nice, with a huge interior for a smaller sedan, but that same interior is still a little plain, and that V6 doesn't produce the nicest sounding notes. But boy is it quick. You can spin the wheels effortlessly in the new G. It made a fine rental last month when my car was in the bodyshop getting painted.

The Acura TL is front-wheel drive. Acura has done a good job taming it, but it's still creates a bland steering sensation when you're really getting into it. Driven at 8/10ths and below though, the Acura is a fine sedan, at a nice price. Don't even need the Type S version, unless you're a true boy racer...and if you're a true boyracer, get a rear wheel drive car (IS350, G35 or the BMW 3). Better sensations.

The RL is nice, but bland, and not real engaging. And the exterior looks the part too. Nice car, but it's so easy to get lost in the crowd in the RL. It really doesn't stand out, and that's spending alot of money for your car not to stand out.

If you don't consistently need the extra space, you love to drive, and you don't put a lot of miles on your car every month, the 3 is an excellent choice. You'll pay a premium for it, but you can't put a number on "magic".

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-16-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:01 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MB2006
I think 40g for small sedan like 3 series way to much .i just paid 41g for fully loaded 08 RX ...
Isn't the smaller IS250 $40k loaded? Did I mention smaller?
Old 04-16-07, 08:40 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
This is a class of car - people cross shop the IS/G/TL/3-series. My wife's friend cross shopped both the 325 and the IS250 and she much preferred the 325 simply from the way it drove. However at the time she was putting 25K a year on her car and she was keeping her car for upwards of 150K. Having just come from a Volvo, I recommended she stick with the Toyota product.....
A lot of people do cross shop the IS/G/TL/3-Series but from my experience there are a lot of people that buy a C-Class/3-Series or Lexus ES (the IS tends to appeal to people who like driving more than the ES) primarily because of the status a 'luxury' badge has, even when it's a bottom of the line stripper entry-lux car like a 325i with no options
Old 04-17-07, 11:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I don't know. My friend test drove the 330i (2006 model of course) while I sat in the passenger seat and it took me the entire 15 min test drive to figure out how to change the radio station >.<. I consider myself someone who can learn technology quickly so I was a bit disappointed with that. My ex-gf also tried working it on a separate test drive when I drove and she sat in the pass. seat. She never got it to work =(.

Anyway, I would still get the 328i just without nav and iDrive.

I'm only speaking from experience of the 06 325i but I gather it'll be the same, just with a bit more hp. It handles well although the steering is a bit stiff at low speeds.

If you can afford it, go for it. It's more fun-to-drive than the TL and more economical than the G.

$5k difference btwn the Toyota and BMW dealer is quite bit. Try selling it yourself maybe?
Old 04-18-07, 05:47 AM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thanks for all the help guys... My mom just signed the contract for 3 years, 30k mi on an x3 for only 729/month....

just kidding, im listing it on autotrader today, and were not going back till its sold i guess. the other thing with the 328 i forgot to mention was that it was for 18k mi/year... i know thats kind of high, given this, and without the trade in, what would a good deal be for this car?
Old 04-18-07, 06:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont trade the Highlander in at the dealer, you can easily sell a vehicle like that privately and make significantly more money, more money to cover the tax you wouldve saved from trading it
Old 04-18-07, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vince1128
wow, thanks for all the help guys... My mom just signed the contract for 3 years, 30k mi on an x3 for only 729/month....

just kidding, im listing it on autotrader today, and were not going back till its sold i guess. the other thing with the 328 i forgot to mention was that it was for 18k mi/year... i know thats kind of high, given this, and without the trade in, what would a good deal be for this car?
Did she try the X3? It is more $$ than the 328 though. Sell the Highlander privately for the most profit. Anyway, just go to another BMW center to compare lease deals, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Old 04-18-07, 08:59 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vince1128
well, dont bash for looking at a bimmer but my mom actually liked the x5's alot and we went down to bmw and i tried to do some convincing to get her out of the suv and into a nice 3 series... shes not into power, so the 328 comes first over the 335. it looked very nice, alpine white, huge nav/iDrive screen (iDrive doesnt seem as bad as people make it sound, it was very user friendly) all options except sport package (17's instead of 16's, racy steering wheel, better suspension). how do you like it?

also, the tag is 41,095 and she is trading in her 04 higlander w/ 55k miles. they offered her 13,2xx for the car and a lease deal of 522 /month/36 months. thats basically what shes paying now for the highlander. the only discount so far is through her work and they added on 750 to the value of the highlander. when she was looking at a used highlander at our toyota dealer they wanted to give her 17 for it but apparently it only goes for 13 at auction.

how would you say this deal is, what would you reccomend negotiating based on?

I just leased my 335i auto with CA for $500/month with $0 down. (Just paid drive off fees of like $1300). And it has already pretty much all the features your mom might need, except for the iDrive.
Old 04-18-07, 12:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
I just leased my 335i auto with CA for $500/month with $0 down. (Just paid drive off fees of like $1300). And it has already pretty much all the features your mom might need, except for the iDrive.
$500 a month? Thats a pretty good deal.
Old 04-18-07, 12:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
That is a smoking deal, congrats, great car

Old 04-18-07, 01:21 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

That seems like a good deal, but what is the milage allowance?

Quick Reply: Opinions on new 328i, mom is considering leasing