Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus sales in Japan so far???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 12:49 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey the forum's back!

Anyhow back to the topic, I thought it would be great if they tie in the Century to Lexus somehow...V12 and all, royal/presidential prestige. Perhaps with regards to the craftsmanship and materials...

However, I've read that the Century is meant to have a staid, very old style image. And that doesn't fit the Lexus world-class moder look. Plus the Century name is legendary. I think it would be hard to make the 'L 650h' or 'Lexus Century'...

...and isn't the new LS 600h L going to be more expensive than the Century in Japan?

I suppose the Century could be a holdover, special limited model for the domestic prestige of the Toyota brand, while the Windom/Aristo/Altezza/Celsior etc are moved over to Lexus.
Old 04-20-07, 11:16 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Hey the forum's back!

Anyhow back to the topic, I thought it would be great if they tie in the Century to Lexus somehow...V12 and all, royal/presidential prestige. Perhaps with regards to the craftsmanship and materials...

However, I've read that the Century is meant to have a staid, very old style image. And that doesn't fit the Lexus world-class moder look. Plus the Century name is legendary. I think it would be hard to make the 'L 650h' or 'Lexus Century'...

...and isn't the new LS 600h L going to be more expensive than the Century in Japan?

I suppose the Century could be a holdover, special limited model for the domestic prestige of the Toyota brand, while the Windom/Aristo/Altezza/Celsior etc are moved over to Lexus.
The Century I predict will remain in Japan, but I envision that Lexus will make a "super LS" of sorts with possibly a V12 hybrid as a standard powertrain. Such a car would be above the Century in status.
Old 04-20-07, 11:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

What's the source of this new Toyota Century rumours, other than what I've heard a while ago of a supposed "insider" who had posted in Edmunds townhall ?

I think it make more sense for them to make the new Toyota Century a Lexus super sedan, it just doesn't make too much sense from a development costs standpoint to make a new "Japanese old school" Century seperately from an ultra-lux. flagship Lexus model above the LS . . .
Old 04-20-07, 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Maybe they can take a Maybach/Benz approach to a future Century/Lexus, but limit it to just one car so that there isn't a ceiling on Lexus luxury.
Old 04-20-07, 12:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I remember that Edmunds poster, and interestingly enough, he got almost all the details that he posted about the new LS right. He mentioned some parts between the Century and LS would be shared.

Aside from that, the rumours I have heard are from some friends who read Japanese publications, that mention a next-gen Century is coming.

If the next-gen Century rumour is indeed true, then the following makes sense: a lot of parts sharing between the Century and LS, save for perhaps the interior, the driveline, and maybe the suspension. The Century then would still remain in Japan as a unique model, just like the ES is a unique model mainly for North America.

Then seperately, Lexus could develop a "super LS", above both the current LS and any sort of next-gen Century. A "super LS" could be differentiated from all other Toyota vehicles with a V12 hybrid driveline. They could make it exclusive only for that model. Such a car would be a Phantom/Maybach/Bentley competitor.
Old 04-20-07, 02:13 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If the next-gen Century rumour is indeed true, then the following makes sense: a lot of parts sharing between the Century and LS, save for perhaps the interior, the driveline, and maybe the suspension. The Century then would still remain in Japan as a unique model, just like the ES is a unique model mainly for North America.

Then seperately, Lexus could develop a "super LS", above both the current LS and any sort of next-gen Century. A "super LS" could be differentiated from all other Toyota vehicles with a V12 hybrid driveline. They could make it exclusive only for that model. Such a car would be a Phantom/Maybach/Bentley competitor.
ES is not a unique model mainly for North America. It's Toyota Windom in Japan, and is sold as Lexus ES in Asia as well.

I don't think a "super LS" above both current LS and the Century will fly if the exterior has little differentiation from the "regular" LS. Just like why don't BMW/MB/VW just build a super 7 series/super S-Class/super Phaeton(A8), and went through all the hassle to buy a super-premium brand name.

A new Century that looks totally different from the LS but still using the Lexus distribution channel will do the work IMO. They don't have to sell a lot of it. Just set a high price, treat it as a halo car, and let those who appreciate it and can afford it buy the car.
Old 04-20-07, 03:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
ES is not a unique model mainly for North America. It's Toyota Windom in Japan, and is sold as Lexus ES in Asia as well.

I don't think a "super LS" above both current LS and the Century will fly if the exterior has little differentiation from the "regular" LS. Just like why don't BMW/MB/VW just build a super 7 series/super S-Class/super Phaeton(A8), and went through all the hassle to buy a super-premium brand name.

A new Century that looks totally different from the LS but still using the Lexus distribution channel will do the work IMO. They don't have to sell a lot of it. Just set a high price, treat it as a halo car, and let those who appreciate it and can afford it buy the car.
The Windom is gone from Japan, no longer sold there. The new ES also is not sold in Japan. While the new ES is sold in some parts of Asia, it is primarily a vehicle designed for North America, and this is coming directly from Toyota.

It's very unlikely that Toyota would rebadge the Century to be sold as a Lexus in other parts of the world. That wouldn't go down well in Japan, and would tarnish the image of the Century.

If a "super sedan" were to be made, it would all depend on how it's made, and how much it's differentiated from the LS line. As mentioned, a V12 hybrid would be one way. Electro-transparent rear windows that can automatically tint based on light conditions, or be manually controlled would be another way. Having massage, heating, cooling functions in all seats would be a step in the right direction, as would having both rear seats have ottomans. Having a 4 zone A/C with seperate lower body-upper body controls/functionality would be another "super luxury" feature that LS owners wouldn't have.

And of course, a Lexus "super sedan" would need some "super" styling to be taken seriously alongside a Maybach, Phantom, or a Bentley.
Old 04-20-07, 07:23 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just redesign the century and leave the LS as the flagship Lexus.
Old 04-22-07, 06:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

That's probably what will happen.