Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New U.S. C02 ruling a threat to performance makes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 08:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default New U.S. C02 ruling a threat to performance makes

New US C02 ruling a threat to performance makes
Wednesday 18 April 2007

Earlier this month, the US supreme court ruled that carbon-dioxide emissions are to be defined as pollutants, a decision that could force carmakers to seriously reduce the levels of CO2 being emitted by vehicles sold in the US. The decision reflects a more drastic situation in Europe, where the government is planning to impose a rule to limit all carmaker’s average fleet C02 levels to just 130g/100km.

If any changes do come in, performance makes such as Lamborghini and Porsche will be hit hardest. Lamborghini has the honor of producing the world’s worst C02 offender with its Murciélago supercar. Although it’s unknown how the US Supreme court’s ruling will be interpreted by the US Environmental Protection Agency, it’s highly probable that there’ll be new regulations limiting the allowable levels of CO2 emissions from motor vehicles.

Previously, C02 was deemed as harmless, which meant car manufacturers never focused on reducing its levels as they have done with other smog-forming pollutants. If the allowable level of C02 is reduced, carmakers will be forced to reduce the amount of fuel consumed at the expense of performance.
source : motorauthority
Old 04-19-07, 08:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next will be tire compounds, upholstery chemicals, and plastics.

By 2030, we'll be driving cars made of stone, branches, and dead leaves.

By the way, we now have to hold our breaths as all humans exhale carbon dioxide...
Old 04-19-07, 08:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

exotics should be except they arent sold in the volumes as normal cars are sold
Old 04-19-07, 08:54 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill Lockyer (Attorney General for CA) was upset over this also. I remember reading in Car and Driver (I think) about how he was taking all of the big auto manufactures to court.

Soon they will ban all cars and we will be forced to ride bicycles, until they find a reason to ban those.
Old 04-19-07, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All the court ruling did was define CO2 emissions as pollutants and define EPA's authority to regulate them. Big deal. It did NOT actually say that EPA HAD to regulate them, only that EPA had legal authority to do so.

Unless EPA actually WRITES up new standards (something they cannot be forced to do), all of this is nothing but a bunch of hype.
Old 04-19-07, 09:27 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legislation like this doesn't bother me, as I feel that humans are far too disrespectful of the planet we live on, and the other creatures that share it. We go around raping and wasting natural resources for our own enjoyment, and most people have little or no concern about the damage they may be doing. I'm reminded of this every day as I walk to pick my daughter up from school, and see a mile-long car line of idling SUVs, waiting a minimum of 45 minutes to pick up Kaytelynne and Bort, who evidently can't walk the 3 blocks to home. How did we ever survive?

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Greenpeace-er, but I have strong morals regarding how we fit (or should fit) into the "circle of life". I stand firm on the side that we should tread lightly, respect all living things, and leave a place better than how it was when you arrived. I teach my kids the same morals in the hope that it will have a snowball effect.

The key phrase, as far as I'm concerned, is:

If the allowable level of C02 is reduced, carmakers will be forced to reduce the amount of fuel consumed at the expense of performance.
...so even if CO2 isn't a problem as far as emissions are concerned, the side effect of reducing fuel consumption is still an acceptable result, and I support that.
Old 04-19-07, 09:43 AM
LexFather

Well looks like hybrids won diesels.....

Old 04-20-07, 12:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Legislation like this doesn't bother me, as I feel that humans are far too disrespectful of the planet we live on, and the other creatures that share it. We go around raping and wasting natural resources for our own enjoyment, and most people have little or no concern about the damage they may be doing. I'm reminded of this every day as I walk to pick my daughter up from school, and see a mile-long car line of idling SUVs, waiting a minimum of 45 minutes to pick up Kaytelynne and Bort, who evidently can't walk the 3 blocks to home. How did we ever survive?

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Greenpeace-er, but I have strong morals regarding how we fit (or should fit) into the "circle of life". I stand firm on the side that we should tread lightly, respect all living things, and leave a place better than how it was when you arrived. I teach my kids the same morals in the hope that it will have a snowball effect.

The key phrase, as far as I'm concerned, is:

...so even if CO2 isn't a problem as far as emissions are concerned, the side effect of reducing fuel consumption is still an acceptable result, and I support that.
Well stated. How many members of this board have said point blank, "I don't care, I'll take the cats off my car." It never ceases to amaze me that people would choose to desecrate the planet a few grams at a time for generations to come by flagrantly violating the law for only a few horsepower. I've always held the idea that if horsepower is so important, buy a faster smog legal car.
Old 04-20-07, 04:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All the court ruling did was define CO2 emissions as pollutants and define EPA's authority to regulate them. Big deal. It did NOT actually say that EPA HAD to regulate them, only that EPA had legal authority to do so.

Unless EPA actually WRITES up new standards (something they cannot be forced to do), all of this is nothing but a bunch of hype.
I agree with you...so many people...not just on CL think this is going to doom some industries when in fact nothing has happened nor perhaps will anything happened.
Old 04-20-07, 07:12 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if limits are set, I'd like to think that human ingenuity will prevail and we'll eventually have fuel thrifty, better performing cars. Currently, even with the CAFE standards and such, we have cars that are more powerful, more efficient, and more environment friendly than in the past. People thought the early 70's before the oil crisis and pollution laws, was the heyday of performance cars. Now, there are 4 cylinder 4 doors that will blow the doors off of many of the older performance cars for your average mom and pop to drive. The auto industry needs an incentive to innovate. Unfortunately, getting fined lots of money seems the most effective incentive for them.

Last edited by T0ked; 04-20-07 at 07:15 AM.