Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW unveils CS Concept @ Shanghai Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 11:40 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Looks like a Dodge Charger and BMW M6 double teamed a Aston Rapide.

And also please remind me to hunt down the idiot who cape up with the "4-door coupe" idea....can you say 'oxymoron'
Old 04-20-07, 11:47 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually like it. Aside from the grill anyway. I like the CLS as well so being that this is in the same class and in general I prefer Bimmers, this car isn't half bad.
Old 04-20-07, 11:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks pretty cool besides that huge kidney grill overpowering the entire front end.

It does have somewhat of a Lexus shape mixed in with the Aston Martin Rapide concept look to it though. And the interior seems more of a throw back to the interiors that were found in Bimmers in the mid 90's which I absolutely loved.
Old 04-20-07, 11:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont want BMW to follow the trend, I want BMW to set the trend.
(i know, easier said than done)
Old 04-21-07, 02:40 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1

And also please remind me to hunt down the idiot who cape up with the "4-door coupe" idea....can you say 'oxymoron'
Well, the design idea is a great one IMO. The sleak sporty styling of a coupe with the practicality of a 4-door.

But yeah, the name "4-door coupe" is an oxymoron, lol. I guess it would be hard to describe it with another term.
Old 04-21-07, 07:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just gazed at the pics again. Mark these words.....that is the next 7 Series sedan. I'm sure they will tone it down a little but that's it. The trend in auto making is evident. Jaguar is planning a new sporty flagship. Mercedes is experimenting but the CLS already proves the formula works. Porsche is planning a big sporty sedan. The Maserati Quattroporte is starting to take hold of a segment of the market, especially now that the car is an auto. The Quattroporte is one sexy piece. If you've never seen one in person, you don't know. The lines, the styling, the luxury yest still retains sportiness. Yes, the day of the big boxy luxo-barge is nearing an end. This concept will be the Seven.
Old 04-21-07, 07:55 AM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

No door handles?
Old 04-21-07, 07:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It's just a concept . . .
Old 04-21-07, 09:55 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
It's just a concept . . .
Yeah but I like being dramatic!
Old 04-21-07, 09:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Very sleek looking

They need to get rid of that empty space above the exhausts.

Shrink those kidneys and lower air dams pleeease!
Old 04-21-07, 10:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Press Release:

Introducing the BMW Concept CS, Germany''s leading manufacturer of premium automobiles is presenting the vision of a unique four-door car which combines the exclusivity of a genuine luxury Gran Turismo with the fascinating thrill of a high-performance sports car. This unique combination never seen before offers the perspective to enjoy sheer driving pleasure in a dimension quite unprecedented in the world of motoring. Indeed, the BMW Concept CS is a new definition of design culture. Concentrating on powerful, expressive design, materials of the highest quality, and quality of finish in perfection, this unique new model offers a completely new understanding of premium quality. And within its interior, the BMW Concept CS combines stylish luxury with the most uncompromising ambience full of class and value.

More than any other saloon in the past, the BMW Concept CS bears out all the highlights of optimum performance through the design of its body alone. The low-slung, dynamically stretched silhouette, the long engine compartment lid and stylish lines and contours accentuating rear-wheel drive technology simply perfect for sports motoring, all set clear standards for supreme dynamics in a new dimension of out-standing vehicles. Through its supreme presence, stylish elegance, and challenging dynamism, the BMW Concept CS, in a nutshell, offers truly unique design language with highly individual aesthetic features never seen before.

Measuring 5.10 metres or 200.8 inches in length, the BMW Concept CS is dominated by dynamically flowing lines. From the BMW kidney grille standing out powerfully to the front, the eyes of the beholder move back along the low-slung and sleek engine compartment lid, subsequently meandering along the side-line and roof-line all the way to the deliberately short rear-end with its clear-cut air flow spoiler.

The sporting, low-slung silhouette of the car is further accentuated by body height of just 1.36 metres or 53.5 inches. A further important feature is the gentle taper of the roof-line at the rear serving again to smoothly stretch the proportions of the entire car.

Within the dynamic, low-slung headlight units featured in the BMW Concept CS, particularly innovative technology serves to generate a powerful and consistent light beam: Innovative LED reverse-projection lights bundle their light on a reflection area from where the beam is conveyed smoothly, consistently and with utmost precision to the road ahead. This provides a particularly homogenous area of illumination without the slightest dazzling effect, since the oncoming motorist does not look directly at the projectors.

The interior of the BMW Concept CS also offers dynamism of a completely new standard borne out by the combination of exclusive elegance and sophisticated refinement. In designing the interior, the innovative technique of layering the individual surfaces and components provides an unprecedented combination of function and stylish reduction to the essential. The appropriate use of joints and seams, together with layered surfaces, creates new options in the arrangement of functional elements for both ventilation and illumination. And at the same time the layering concept offers new possibilities to clearly express the class and value of the materials used as well as the precise design of the car's interior through contrasting colours and the structure of different materials.

Featuring height-adjustable collar elements directly integrated in the seats, the four full-sized sports seats meet all the needs of personalised entertainment and communication, thus raising the experience of quality within the interior to an unprecedented standard. More than ever before, this highlights the sheer value of the materials used, the love for all details, and quality of finish now enhanced to perfection.

Interaction of innovative design and exclusive materials, together with the use of a highly expressive colour scheme, gives the interior of the BMW Concept CS a unique touch of luxury based not on simple opulence, but rather on perfect quality
Old 04-21-07, 10:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

And why the name CS?
So close to CLS
Old 04-21-07, 10:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Not bad, but would like it smoother and rounder at the back...I don't like Bangle butts.
Old 04-21-07, 11:23 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car might grow on me. It's already looking good from certain angles. There's something about seeing a moving car in person that is very different than seeing it in pictures, regardless of how good the pictures are.
Old 04-22-07, 02:18 PM
vader11
Rookie

Its targets are Maserati Quattroporte & CLS. Perhaps using an engine even more superior than the current 5.0L V10.
http://news.u-car.com.tw/news-detail.asp?nid=5696

Quick Reply: BMW unveils CS Concept @ Shanghai Auto Show