Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UPDATE: thecarconnection.com's First Drive of Lexus LS600hL(+Edmunds Full Test)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 10:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
We can only discuss what we have at hand and this one was disappointing. I am looking forward for more reviews to see what others have to say. This one was preproduction so hopefully Lexus will tweak a thing or two.
Exactly. We don't know *for sure* if the LS600h has the same performance as an LS460L, because so far this is only one review, and it's a pre-production model that was reviewed.

It would be awfully silly for Lexus to go to all that trouble of making the LS600h and not have it outperform the LS 460L.

We already know the LS600h handles and corners better than a 460L. That much at least is not up for debate. The only question remains is whether the LS600h is faster than a 460L in a straight line, and by how much.

And as for fuel economy, have to wait a few months before an accurate comparison can be made.

But SICK is exactly right; the car is a showcase, and thus it doesn't have to make economic sense or make some sort of practical sense. The buyers the LS600h is going after do not care for any of that.
Old 04-22-07, 12:51 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
We already know the LS600h handles and corners better than a 460L. That much at least is not up for debate. The only question remains is whether the LS600h is faster than a 460L in a straight line, and by how much.
I'm sure someone who buys a LS will really care about cornering.

But SICK is exactly right; the car is a showcase, and thus it doesn't have to make economic sense or make some sort of practical sense. The buyers the LS600h is going after do not care for any of that.
If it's not that MUCH of an upgrade, there will be buyers will be disappointed.
Old 04-22-07, 01:00 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Disappointed by what?
They didn't buy the car to win straight line races, if they wanted to do that they'd have gotten an S600.
1Sicklex is right when he calls the LS600lh a halo car. It'll sell just for that fact alone -- Lexus will get good feedback and in the next LS600, you'll see finally an S600 replacement from Japan.
Old 04-22-07, 01:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vraa
Disappointed by what?
They didn't buy the car to win straight line races, if they wanted to do that they'd have gotten an S600.
1Sicklex is right when he calls the LS600lh a halo car. It'll sell just for that fact alone -- Lexus will get good feedback and in the next LS600, you'll see finally an S600 replacement from Japan.
Thanks. Has anyone actually spoken to a 600 or 760 owner? They don't HAVE to say anything, the car speaks FOR them.

They don't get into pissing matching about acceleration, slalom, weight, etc. They know they have the top of the line model from their lineup.

Old 04-22-07, 01:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

0-60 don't mean a lot in this class. It's 60-150 that counts here if you want to nitpick the numbers.

There is no way 600h is on par or slower than 460 so there is no reason to be disappointed in anything
Old 04-22-07, 02:30 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Well, just a minor point but there is the S65 above the S600

I think Lexus will be at the point soon where the car speaks for itself. I hope that time doesn't come within my lifetime though because I like the whole "competing on abilities" thing they have going for them

I don't know if 60-150 numbers are as important as the psychological effects of knowing you have the most expensive version of a specific car. There's a satisfaction in blowing a hundred grand on a car that gets you recognized. It effects all people, some know that it does, others don't. But it's a great feeling, it should be, it's a hundred grand haha.
Old 04-22-07, 07:16 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with 1Sick that is a showcase from Lexus and to show that Lexus can make a $100K+ car. It's all about technologies with all the new safety features and all the gadgets.

Almost all of the buyers are wealthy and will have at least 2 or more cars in the garage. I mean one sedan to move people, one sport car, one SUVj for the airport, one RV with 2 bedrooms for football game, one big diesel truck for home depot, one speed boat, one beach house, one lake house and so on...one of everything...

I know some of our Lexus customers are that wealthy. A few years ago one of our regular customer pulled in one Saturday morning because his 1999 LS400 got the check engine light on, on his way to the Georgia Bulldogs ball game. It was an O2 sensor malfunction,but it will take about 1-2 hours to get it done due to the among of business on Saturday. Guess what? him and his wife don't want to miss all the funs, so they trade in the 99 LS400 for the new LX470 and took off to the game. It was a 15 minutes deal, mail me the check, peeled off the sticker and let me go... He don't know how much they will give him on the trade in and he don't know how much more he have to pay for the new LX470,but he just don't care.

I think those kind of customers don't care much about mpg, hp, or 0-60. It's about give me what I want.
Old 04-22-07, 07:24 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I just can't think of driving this car to the airport picking up the Japanese client, showing them that I know Japanese has advance technology and appreciate their product. Because probably the trunk for a car this size that can't swallow all the luggages (or, way smaller than what the 7 series, S-Class or A8) is pretty bad.
Old 04-22-07, 07:25 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How? Does the 600h have upgraded suspension?
Old 04-22-07, 07:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I just can't think of driving this car to the airport picking up the Japanese client, showing them that I know Japanese has advance technology and appreciate their product. Because probably the trunk for a car this size that can't swallow all the luggages (or, way smaller than what the 7 series, S-Class or A8) is pretty bad.
You just take the LX470 to pick up your Japanese client at the airport and use the LS600h to take them around town. Then you use the new Toyota Tundra 4 doors with them in the truck while you're hauling your boat to your lake house... I'm sure your Japanese client will be very appreciated.
Old 04-22-07, 08:19 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

LX570 my friend, forget the Tundra
Old 04-23-07, 12:06 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Almost all of the buyers are wealthy and will have at least 2 or more cars in the garage. I mean one sedan to move people, one sport car, one SUVj for the airport, one RV with 2 bedrooms for football game, one big diesel truck for home depot, one speed boat, one beach house, one lake house and so on...one of everything...
not one of everything. They probably have a few ex wives and mistresses.
Old 04-23-07, 05:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For all those 0-60 time savy C&D did 600h in 5.4 and got combined mileage of 20. When they tested 460L Executive they got close to 14 combined

Also they pushed 600h from 50-70 = 3 Seconds!
Old 04-23-07, 06:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Because probably the trunk for a car this size that can't swallow all the luggages (or, way smaller than what the 7 series, S-Class or A8) is pretty bad.
It's actually smaller than a Honda Civic sedan.
Old 04-23-07, 08:08 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
For all those 0-60 time savy C&D did 600h in 5.4 and got combined mileage of 20. When they tested 460L Executive they got close to 14 combined

Also they pushed 600h from 50-70 = 3 Seconds!

that makes more sense. But unless the C&D observed was under same conditions or over a long test it's hard to say what that means for real world numbers. They could have been flogging the LS460 on a track and didn't for the 600h so that may be why the observed numbers are not close. It's hard to say.

As for cost savings of the hybrid, the cost of the hybrid (over $10K) it would take you ~200K miles to break even on the fuel before you would start to save money. If the non-hybrid average 17 mpg and hybrid average 23 mpg.

But who knows what if the batteries need to be replaced in that time the savings will never be there.

I know this is not a Prius and not about saving gas and people that can afford $100K aren't hurting so they can pump as much gas as it takes.

Last edited by rai; 04-23-07 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: thecarconnection.com's First Drive of Lexus LS600hL(+Edmunds Full Test)