Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(Recent advertisement) Ford is more quiet than Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 07:52 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Recent advertisement) Ford is more quiet than Lexus

with the recent threats about car ads (lexus vs bmw) and (huyndai vs lexus).

I just saw one today about Ford vs Lexus while havinng dinner. The Ford Edge commercial claims that the Edge is more quiet than a Lexus. They did not mention which Lexus and how they came up with that conclusion.
Old 04-20-07, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Chevy also compared and said the Trailblazer was better than the RX.

Its business.

Old 04-20-07, 07:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether it's BMW, Hyundai, or Ford...Lexus sure has gotten it's share of publicity lately and when you're acknowledged as the industry standard, it's nothing but a compliment

Rule number 1 of advertising is that by acknowledging your competitors, you indeed do just that- you imply that other marques are as good as yours. That is one of the reasons that Team One does such a good job with Lexus- their ads are never boastful or pretentious, but rather focus on building a positive image of only the product at hand.
Old 04-20-07, 08:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Exactly.

I am also looking forward to the next RX.
Old 04-20-07, 08:30 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I don't know much about advertising but there must be some kind of laws that prevent companies from false advertising right? For exampe, in this case, it could be that they compared an idled Edge vs a WOT RX... then claimed that the Edge was more quiet than a Lexus which is true.

Does a company have to disclose of their claims whether in fine prints or in bold?. Does anyone know how this work in advertising?
Old 04-20-07, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
I don't know much about advertising but there must be some kind of laws that prevent companies from false advertising right? For exampe, in this case, it could be that they compared an idled Edge vs a WOT RX... then claimed that the Edge was more quiet than a Lexus which is true.

Does a company have to disclose of their claims whether in fine prints or in bold?. Does anyone know how this work in advertising?
True and the company doing it is taking a gamble that in this case Lexus would not sue or make a fuss about it.

I think Lexus is also used b/c as MP stated, Lexus ads are rarely ever boastful or talk about someone else, so other companies don't fear retaliation.

Just look at those BMW, Audi, Suburu then Bentley ads from last year.

Old 04-20-07, 09:23 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummm, I had a rental Taurus and it's 3.0L Vulcan V6 was pretty harsh, even compared to family beater Nissan Quest we have...
Old 04-20-07, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The Ford Edge commercial claims that the Edge is more quiet than a Lexus. They did not mention which Lexus and how they came up with that conclusion.

Why do you believe it has to be false advertising? Do you believe only Lexus can build quiet cars? Buick for example, has been doing it for DECADES before Lexus brought out cars. Now I grant you older Buick pushrod engines when pushed hard made more racket than a Lexus engine, but these days, so many cars are INCREDIBLY quiet.

Ford has invested BILLIONS in recent years in body materials and improving rigidity, and reducing NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) for their newer models.

Originally Posted by nthach
Ummm, I had a rental Taurus and it's 3.0L Vulcan V6 was pretty harsh, even compared to family beater Nissan Quest we have...
No surprise there, that last gen Taurus (even if brand new which are now only available for fleet sales) is on a now ancient platform and engine.

Ford has got LOTS of problems, but their newer products are worlds better than prior ones. (Cue Pearlpower and his bad experience with his Fusion... )
Old 04-20-07, 10:31 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why do you believe it has to be false advertising? Do you believe only Lexus can build quiet cars? Buick for example, has been doing it for DECADES before Lexus brought out cars. Now I grant you older Buick pushrod engines when pushed hard made more racket than a Lexus engine, but these days, so many cars are INCREDIBLY quiet.

Ford has invested BILLIONS in recent years in body materials and improving rigidity, and reducing NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) for their newer models.
I think I worded it incorrectly. If you look at my example you would know what I meant. The correct word should have been misleading advertising instead of false advertising. The most quiet car in the Lexus line up has to be the LS. So, when I first saw the commercial, the LS instantly came to mind. Edge is more quiet than LS?

To be honest, I don't think Lexus cars are THAT quiet comparing to other luxury cars. At idle, it's quiet but in normal driving condition, you can't tell a difference comparing to other cars in its class.
Old 04-20-07, 11:00 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in my friend's new Ford F150 King Ranch, that truck was as quiet as a stock Lexus. When we were cruising down the road, and even when he punched it, that thing was SUPER-quiet.

That's one helluva truck there, the leather in that King Ranch felt nicer than my Lexus leather, and you could smell the rawhide. I loved it. Nice job, Ford. If I need a pickup, that one's a no-brainer for me.
Old 04-20-07, 11:52 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they can post all the numbers they want but it all comes down to your ears. Different pitch are more heard than others, who knows what theyre talking about. I personally, don't like it when cars are too quiet.
Old 04-20-07, 11:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Leave it to Paul to lone it and come to Fords rescue.

I have said it before and will again, my Fusion is the WORST car in terms of reliability that I have ever owned-out of over 40-except for my Taurus. My Audi's caught fire yet were still more reliable. But...it is reasonably quiet ,though not close to being Lexus quiet. I also drove a 06 Expedition-loud, and Mustang-loudest car in creation but in it's defense it does have a soft top albeit a poor fitting one.
Hell, I thought I drove most Fords while my Fusion was getting repaired for something and none of them were what I would call quiet or very well made. I drove around in a new 2007 Explorer for almost 1000 miles. Not impressed though I like the looks. It did run ok though-no issues during the 1000 miles.
But, quiet and well made are two different things. If I wanted or cared for quiet I would not have headers, exhaust, and intake on the SC and put a dual exhaust setup on the GX and now looking for a blower.
Heck I drive the SC with the top down 99% of the time so everything is quiet to me.
I am even thinking of an exhaust for the Fusion. I guarantee that will not break!
Old 04-21-07, 02:32 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know much about advertising but there must be some kind of laws that prevent companies from false advertising right?

Main Entry: puff·ery
Pronunciation: 'p&-f(&-)rE
Function: noun
: exaggerated commendation especially for promotional purposes : HYPE
Old 04-21-07, 04:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, if they compared a ford vehicle with quiet all season tires to lets say GS with sport tires, or better yet SC with sport tires and roof down, then yeah... but everything is relative.
Old 04-21-07, 07:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Well...the Ford commercials here in Mexico don't exactly claim they are quiet. I have driven the Edge and I guarantee you, 5 seconds after getting to our street here, NO vehicle will ever claim they are quieter than anything.

Quick Reply: (Recent advertisement) Ford is more quiet than Lexus