Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk about uninformed car buyer..didn't know the RX-8 was RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 08:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are correct that, driven VERY carefully, and with decent winter tires, (and I know from experience), that RWD can sometimes go in slippery conditions, but it is not an ideal setup, it can be very tricky at times, it is just asking for trouble, and IMO, anyone who NEEDS to drive regularly on slippery roads should NOT buy a RWD-only vehicle, even with ABS and electronic traction/stability systems.
I, myself, am a convert to Subaru's flat-engine AWD systems....on slippery roads, there is NOTHING like it. I'm hooked.
I know you're a proponent of AWD but I really feel it's not necessary unless you live somewhere like Siberia. If you live in any kind of moderately sized city, the roads are cleaned fairly regularly, and the need to drive through accumulated snow only arises at most 5-10 times a year. Good winter tires with RWD will almost always be enough, unless you're living/driving out in the country
Old 04-23-07, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I know you're a proponent of AWD but I really feel it's not necessary unless you live somewhere like Siberia.
Siberia actually doesn't have much snow at all....too cold and too dry; too far away from water. It is a semi-desert climate, though an extremely cold one.
What you need THERE, instead, is a block heater (a damn good one)..... and synthetic oil.