Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk about uninformed car buyer..didn't know the RX-8 was RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 09:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk about uninformed car buyer..didn't know the RX-8 was RWD?

I was talking to a girl who knows I'm a car guy, she has a previous-gen Eclipse, she was thinking about buying the current-gen.

I asked her if she ever looked into the new Eclipse. She told me she got a RX-8 instead. I asked how she liked it, and she liked it fine except when she found out it was RWD, which she found out b/c she couldn't drive it in the snow (it snows about 8 to 10 times a year where we live).

So I advised her to get snow tires (winter tires) for the next winter (I have on my S2000). I can get around in a pinch but its still not a winter warrior.

I can just imagine how car salesman prey on such un-knowing people. Like no way in heck he/she (the salesman) would peep a word about the driving wheels unless if they thought it was a selling point.

It's funny that people can drive a car and not know what wheels are driving.

I would think it's all but impossible to not know what wheel drive car you are driving (at least FWD vs. RWD).
Old 04-21-07, 10:36 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

There will always be uninformed buyers. That why knowledge is power.
Old 04-21-07, 12:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad... like last time my office worker bought a Mazda 3 2 years ago, and told me the car had more than 300HP under the hood...
Old 04-21-07, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I was talking to a girl who knows I'm a car guy, she has a previous-gen Eclipse, she was thinking about buying the current-gen.

I asked her if she ever looked into the new Eclipse. She told me she got a RX-8 instead. I asked how she liked it, and she liked it fine except when she found out it was RWD, which she found out b/c she couldn't drive it in the snow (it snows about 8 to 10 times a year where we live).

So I advised her to get snow tires (winter tires) for the next winter (I have on my S2000). I can get around in a pinch but its still not a winter warrior.

I can just imagine how car salesman prey on such un-knowing people. Like no way in heck he/she (the salesman) would peep a word about the driving wheels unless if they thought it was a selling point.

It's funny that people can drive a car and not know what wheels are driving.

I would think it's all but impossible to not know what wheel drive car you are driving (at least FWD vs. RWD).
Don't you know RX-8 is a chick car? I seriously have never seen an RX-8 driven by a male, most of them are either red or gray, driven by preppy girls.
Old 04-21-07, 09:37 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I just find it rather hilarious how quickly members of this forum chastise others that aren't "car people" for not having carnal car knowledge. Cars don't make the world go around, so it's possible for others not to have as much knowledge any one of us. Hell, it even happens to members of this forum. if someone comes to you for advice about cars, or it just comes up in a conversation, don't treat them like a second class citizen or berate them later... just give them the information and they will be smarter for it. I bet that there was a time in your life when you didn't know the difference between FWD and RWD... "Even the season Pro was a rookie at one point."

Old 04-21-07, 09:50 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im actually really suprised that I do not see as many Subaru's on the road in areas that snow a lot here in the states. Every time I go to Canada, I see so many Subarus up there, mainly outbacks and wagons.
Old 04-21-07, 10:14 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
I just find it rather hilarious how quickly members of this forum chastise others that aren't "car people" for not having carnal car knowledge. Cars don't make the world go around, so it's possible for others not to have as much knowledge any one of us. Hell, it even happens to members of this forum. if someone comes to you for advice about cars, or it just comes up in a conversation, don't treat them like a second class citizen or berate them later... just give them the information and they will be smarter for it. I bet that there was a time in your life when you didn't know the difference between FWD and RWD... "Even the season Pro was a rookie at one point."

Old 04-21-07, 11:59 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

This doesn't surprise me

Last edited by LexFather; 04-22-07 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 12:02 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
This doesn't surprise me
This doesn't suprise me

Last edited by LexFather; 04-22-07 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 12:21 AM
LexFather

I can see someone now knowing if its FWD or RWD and now even asking or caring. Most people buy a car b/c they like it or cause they can afford it.

Rarely is being a particular drivetrain brake a deal unless the person is really informed.

Old 04-22-07, 12:51 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Rarely is being a particular drivetrain brake a deal unless the person is really informed.
Or it doesn't matter.
How many luxury sedans do you know that are fwd?
Old 04-22-07, 01:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Or it doesn't matter.
How many luxury sedans do you know that are fwd?
Whole Audi lineup. Seriously there is nothing wrong with FWD cars. There are some really good FWD setups just like there are some horrible RWD setups. I have no problem driving a good FWD car, as a matter of fact I would rather get FWD A4 mated to 4cyl than sluggish quattro.

Btw RX8 is one amazing vehicle, all those who never miss a chance to post to tell others how they are super car enthusiasts are nothing until they drive RX8. Magnificent automobile! Example of RWD done right.
Old 04-22-07, 01:18 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
This doesn't suprise me coming from a
Ouch, haha. This is not the place for personal attacks though
Old 04-22-07, 02:28 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by Vladi
Whole Audi lineup. Seriously there is nothing wrong with FWD cars. There are some really good FWD setups just like there are some horrible RWD setups. I have no problem driving a good FWD car, as a matter of fact I would rather get FWD A4 mated to 4cyl than sluggish quattro.

Btw RX8 is one amazing vehicle, all those who never miss a chance to post to tell others how they are super car enthusiasts are nothing until they drive RX8. Magnificent automobile! Example of RWD done right.
?
Audi A8L is awd.
As I said, you won't find a luxury sedan (S-Class, LS, 7er, A8, Maser QP, E-Class, 5 series) (the latter few stretching it) with fwd.

Because so, it's not a big deal to worry about what the drive train is.

I didn't mean my post to imply that fwd was bad, I just meant that certain segements of the auto industry are quite obviously one setup versus another, or anti-one specific setup. Just the pros and cons of each setup suited for that particular need.
Old 04-22-07, 02:32 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Ouch, haha. This is not the place for personal attacks though
Just some poking in the rib

Quick Reply: Talk about uninformed car buyer..didn't know the RX-8 was RWD?