Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

350z - not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 01:03 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z - not impressed

I just got back from test driving a 350z - i kinda thought maybe it would be my next car and i wanted to kno if i even liked it

i drove an auto convertible w. tiptronic and every option available (including brembros) but i just wasnt impressed ... i really wanted to be impressed but i just wasnt

i didnt feel fast, the breaks were SUPER touchy, i greatly dislike the no sunroof, im tall so i like the illusion of space thanks [yes i kno theres less headroom w. a sunroof, but u can OPEN the roof, and when the glass is closed it still seems like theres much room above our head]

i used the tiptronic but the car felted limited @ 4k rpm, redline isnt till like 7 or 8k or something, but i felt like i had to shift @ 4k ... the feeling of the 350z @ 4k is what my IS feels like @ redline - BOO THAT

going into a curve: now i kno ur more daring w. ur own car [and for good reason w. sales man in the passenger seat ... but i warned him i was gonna test nearly everything] ... but 350z felt like it might slide out cos its too heavy to hold the curve ... my IS doesnt feel like that, and i take my IS thru the curves much faster

lastly it seems like 350z cant commit to being a sports car or a lux coupe ... it had some ammenities but they werent particularilly well done, the new hybrid altima had nicer finishing and its priced cheeper ... if youre going to b a raw sports car thats fine ... if youre going to b a lux coupe thats also fine ... but pick one - dont get caught in half way land

overall: too heavy, too slow feeling, not fun enough, not lux/raw enough ... all in all for my $60k that is not what id pick

Old 04-22-07, 01:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

These cars cost $60k up in Canada! I knew cars are overpriced up there (I grew up in Toronto) but I never realized it was that bad

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you're complaining about no sunroof in a convertible? And you should try the stick before you make any judgements about the engine
Old 04-22-07, 01:19 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the first time I've heard anyone say the 350z was slow. I haven't driven an IS350 but I can't imagine there would be that much difference to call either slow. Now I'm curious.
Old 04-22-07, 01:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

not slow ... FEELS slow, i looked down at the speedo and i was going quite an unslow speed ... but it was very unexciting

and i've got a chipped IS300
Old 04-22-07, 01:27 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
These cars cost $60k up in Canada! I knew cars are overpriced up there (I grew up in Toronto) but I never realized it was that bad

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you're complaining about no sunroof in a convertible? And you should try the stick before you make any judgements about the engine
1 - yes, imports are quite a lot more expencive here in Van

2 - yes i agree i should try a manual, but buddy said 'no' even after i told him i wouldnt be buying an auto

3 - im not compaining that there was no sunroof in a convertible but im gonna elaborate on this point:

a - head room was lacking
b - soft top not lookin so hot on the 350z, breaks up the line of the car too much
c - heard top convertibles WITH sunroofs are about to happen, unfortunately i cant back up my statement cos i cant remember whos doing it and i cant find the link to where i read it
Old 04-22-07, 01:57 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
i drove an auto convertible w. tiptronic
This is where you went wrong, lol.
Old 04-22-07, 02:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

They go for about 50,000 USD down here new and they only run about 16s (15s sea level) at best in the 1/4 mile. And to me...it also feels SLOW. I have even tried it on the track and on the road and can't say that I'm impressed either in terms of cost benefit. Now, the old 300ZX, there was a vehicle and the twin turbo version can still hold its own even today.

The Renault Clio Sport, a much cheaper car can easily rip it in a dead start and in handling.
Old 04-22-07, 02:15 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

I just picked up a Twin Turbo'd 350Z Roadster 6 speeds, love it everytime i drive it, well yes....Twin Turbo'd...
But I also have a 07 G35 sedan with the same VQ35HR in it, I can honestly say that it felt the same in lower rpms, it pulls harder than my old GS4, it felt much fast than the IS350(was gonna get that). Also the G35 is a heavier car, so you should check out the 6speeds, it will change your mind.
Old 04-22-07, 02:16 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I do not see a single praise about the Z in your thread.. I mean, any car would have its plus and minus and I am surprised that you did not find a single positive thing about the Z. It seems to me you were out on a mission looking for the (-).
Old 04-22-07, 02:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i had plusses, but i wasnt giving a review ... i was explaining y i was unimpressed

and for the record i was actually really trying to like it ... but the things i pointed out above is why its no longer part of my 'next car' list

i will give a 6 speed a chance, but im definately not holding my breath

and yes 300zx twin turbo ... YES, those i love ... drivin one and loved it ... which is why i thought the 350z would good/great . . . **sigh** maybe if youve had the pleasure of driving the 300zx the new 350z is just not compairable
Old 04-22-07, 02:35 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Hard for me to say anything since I have not driven the 350Z myself, but the vert with tiptronic is the worst possible combo you can get it's ~3700 lbs (?). Thats a significant weight a corvette for example weighs a good deal less. Boxster or S2000 weigh 700 lbs or 800 lbs less.

I think the worst thing on a car especially a sports car is weight. I know we are not in a perfect world and cars weigh too much and lowering weight costs money. But these seems to be a bit too much weight on the 350Z especially the vert (IMO).

Last edited by rai; 04-22-07 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-22-07, 03:12 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rai
Hard for me to say anything since I have not driven the 350Z myself, but the vert with tiptronic is the worst possible combo you can get it's ~3700 lbs (?). Thats a significant weight a corvette for example weighs a good deal less. Boxster or S2000 weigh 700 lbs or 800 lbs less.

I think the worst thing on a car especially a sports car is weight. I know we are not in a perfect world and cars weigh too much and lowering weight costs money. But these seems to be a bit too much weight on the 350Z especially the vert (IMO).
It is heavy, I had a hard time deciding between the Roadster or coupe. But Having a vert. Its a whole new experience, its heavier, not very performance oriented, but hey... I am not getting a race car for street use.
Old 04-22-07, 03:26 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Prices for cars in Canada are ridiculous, in America you can get a fully loaded Corvette for under $60000 Canadian. And that has a removable targa top and you can get a glass top so it's like a sunroof when the top is up
Old 04-22-07, 03:32 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

to me, it felt like i wasnt getting 60K CAD worth of a car
it didnt have power steering column tilt, no power seat tilt (only like 4 way power seat adjustment, rest are manual **** controlled)

i test drove the same car Fayme drove (i drove it after she did)
it was an AUTO so it was kinda slow
the brembo brake upgrades were too touchy
i basically had to try not to touch the brake pedals at all until i had to really stop
it was a convertible we tested
pretty darn heavy
audio sounded alright
but interior is still nothing compared to a lex or other cars in the same price range...
id rather go for an S2000 as i can have more fun with it

with the automatic 350Z, i felt like the ECU was limiting the revs to 4k when using tiptronic so i wasnt even close to redlining it... it was too much restricting to drive
prob much more fun with a manual...

if i was to get a real performance car without lots of creature comfort, i would spring up a little more for a lotus elise for sure

but yeah... i need to learn how to drive a manual before i even start looking at this class of cars again!
Old 04-22-07, 05:05 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vert does feel rather heavy. The 350z should be driven in the non-vert version, not the vert. I felt the same way (although less so) in a M3 vert. If you want a vert roadster in that price range you should look at a S2000. I'm surprised you feel your ISx50 handles better though. Perhaps it's because you are familar with your car and have more seat time in it. Was this a used car or brand new 350z?

Quick Reply: 350z - not impressed