Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes'Top 10 Luxury Cars For Women

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I'd like to see the age breakdown for these choices and where gathered. These seem to fall into that "cute little car" mentality of the ~25 YO. The article the way I read it...
Interesting point. Boys and girls are legally considered men and women at age 18 in most places. 25-30, though, is what many car manufacturers consider the age limits for "young" people.
Old 04-25-07, 12:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like it or not, there are absolutely some cars that are driven by a far higher percentage of women than men, and vice-versa.

If you happen to drive or like one of those predominantly women-driven cars and you are a man - there's no problem.

But don't get upset when marketing departments and news articles point to the gender based favoritism that exists with certain vehicles - it's just the truth!
Old 04-25-07, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Like it or not, there are absolutely some cars that are driven by a far higher percentage of women than men, and vice-versa.

If you happen to drive or like one of those predominantly women-driven cars and you are a man - there's no problem.

But don't get upset when marketing departments and news articles point to the gender based favoritism that exists with certain vehicles - it's just the truth!
True to some extent. Threxx, but my point was that too many people allow this "image" stuff to influence (and even dictate) their buying decisions, to the point that they exclude certain vehicles that they not only WANT but even know to be the best ones for their needs.

A common example is the family man who wants a minivan, knows that a minivan is probably the best overall daily driver for him and his family, yet is afraid to buy one because his buddies at work will laugh at him driving a "sissy" vehicle....or because some macho "enthusiast" car magazine has called it a "wimpmobile" in editorials or road tests.

Another example is the well-known "mid-life" crisis where a lot of guys who start to age a little think they have to buy a sports car or a muscle car to bring back their youth. Another example is those who like traditional big, soft-riding luxury cars being called "Grandpa" and "Grandma" just because they don't care to ride on stiff suspensions, 22-inch wheels and rubber-band tires and pound over bumps all day. Another example is the guy who likes to have fun in the sun in a small convertible.....but won't buy one because of the f * g or "chick" image. Yet another example is the older woman who wants a sports or high-performance car, but is afraid she will get laughed at for being "out of place" or "trying to play Michael Shumacher" .

So...these are common examples, but there are many more as well......I think you get the picture. Trust me...I constantly have to deal with this problem when people ask me for car advice or to go shopping with them....and it is really very sad.

That is why, in my own auto reviews, I usually don't get into image or "follow-the-crowd" stuff. I simply write up a history and introduction, examine and drive the vehicle, describe the vehicle as it IS, give a "verdict" or final wrap-up, and let those reading it decide for themselves if it is the right vehicle for them or not. (Of course, they will go see it for themselves, if interested).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-07 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 03:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's interesting that the Z4 is the #1 female-biased luxury car. For some reason (particularly perhaps the lovely Z3 driven by 007) I thought that would be mostly male.

The Z4 is darned ugly compared to the earlier Z3 beauty.
Old 04-25-07, 11:53 PM
LexFather

Yeah, Z3 is a very nice looking car, classic. Z4 looks like a Z3 in a wreck.

Old 04-26-07, 02:35 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What idiot wrote this article....oh wait, it was a man.
Old 04-26-07, 04:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool R X

I would have thought for sure that the Lexus RX would be on this list (most of the drivers I see in my area are women).
Old 04-26-07, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
What idiot wrote this article....oh wait, it was a man.
Better yet, Liz.....what idiot BELIEVES it?
Old 04-26-07, 04:29 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
I would have thought for sure that the Lexus RX would be on this list (most of the drivers I see in my area are women).
You couldn't be more right. Even Toyota finally admitted that they created this vehicle as a ''woman's car" and had the designs and prototypes examined by panels of upscale woman drivers. This resulted in a marvelous vehicle that combines all the "utility" two empty nesters like us need along with a good dose of comfort and luxury. When I'm on a rough patch in my A4 my bony old **** envies my wife's car.
Old 04-26-07, 05:09 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, Z3 is a very nice looking car, classic. Z4 looks like a Z3 in a wreck.
My sister in law loved the Z3 and wanted to buy one. When
I mentioned the Z4 to her the reaction was one of revulsion.

I agree that car looks like vomit.
Old 04-26-07, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree Z4 is much worse than Z3, but I've never liked the Z3 neither, not even when Bond was driving it
Old 04-27-07, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I agree Z4 is much worse than Z3, but I've never liked the Z3 neither, not even when Bond was driving it
I'll bet you liked what was in the front seat next to him.
Old 04-27-07, 05:51 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about transsexuals? What do they drive?
Hahah pwned.
They should probably back up their lists with data...
Old 04-27-07, 06:13 PM
LexFather

i drove home last night in a new Audi TT Roadster. The sun was setting, the sky was blue, the air was clean, the roads were quiet and the car was an utter delight. It snarled when I wanted it to snarl, it cruised when I wanted it to cruise, it had a lovely steering “feel” and a perfectly judged ride.

As a driver’s car, it was a world apart from its “cabin doors to manual” predecessor.

“I could have one of these,” I thought as I pulled into my yard. But of course I can’t, because I am a man and the Audi TT is so completely girlie that I’m surprised it isn’t supplied with a bra and high heels. It really is Jane Austen with windscreen wipers.

Clarkson just said this...lmao

Old 04-27-07, 09:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, also I read that the first year RX 330 sales were 65% women, wonder if that's changed.