Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan Report: Acura NSX Powertrain Taking Shape . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 03:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Japan Report: Acura NSX Powertrain Taking Shape . . .

It was reported by Winding Road in February of this year that Honda engineers ripped the whole script for the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept and went back to the drawing board since Honda executives weren’t that pleased with the design, but now they report development is underway . . .

Japan Report: Acura NSX Powertrain Taking Shape
April 24th, 2007 11:22 AM

As Honda engineers continue to work away in secret on the new V-10 engine for the Acura NSX replacement, now comes word that Honda’s not just looking for power, torque and speed, but also class topping eco numbers from this stellar new engine.

The understanding in Tokyo’s Honda watching circles is that the new normally-aspirated V-10 will displace around 5.0-liters, push out 500+ brake horsepower and no less remarkably, achieve a 10.0 km/l rating (equal to 23.5 mpg) rating in Japan’s standard 10.15-mode fuel cycle.

Putting that into perspective, the last NSX Type R with 3.2-liter V-6 and 276 bhp was an 8.6 km/l car in Japan.

That’s one helluva challenge to hit those numbers—but if anyone can do it, the smart money says Honda can.
source : Winding Road
Old 04-25-07, 03:45 PM
LexFather

It wasn't Honda execs, it was us. Between this crap looking thing and the Acura robot ***** sedan they gave us, clearly their crack is a lot more powerful than the stuff Bangle and co. smokes...

I would love to have some for the next party I throw, b/c it's some POWERFUL stuff for these concepts to actually make it for approval.

Whats funny is the GT-R and next NSX talk has been going on for YEARS now and outta nowhere we have a IS-F that makes production.

I love the cars but how about shut the hell up with the press releases and just build the damn things.

Old 04-25-07, 03:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's a disgrace to call that thing an NSX.
Old 04-25-07, 03:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It wasn't Honda execs, it was us. Between this crap looking thing and the Acura robot ***** sedan they gave us, clearly their crack is a lot more powerful than the stuff Bangle and co. smokes...

I would love to have some for the next party I throw, b/c it's some POWERFUL stuff for these concepts to actually make it for approval.

Whats funny is the GT-R and next NSX talk has been going on for YEARS now and outta nowhere we have a IS-F that makes production.

I love the cars but how about shut the hell up with the press releases and just build the damn things.

Totally agree.... I am getting tired of this ...
Old 04-25-07, 05:26 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That thing could very well be the next Batmobile .
Old 04-25-07, 05:51 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the people over at Honda figure that if they make people wait long enough they will forget that an NSX ever existed before. It will just fade away in the back of peoples' minds, it'll be like "NSwhat?" Then when it comes out it will be like a completely new thing, "omfg the NSX!" Then "splat!" Just like the old one, hardly no one will buy the new one, except for the hardcore, purists (if they still exist), and enthusiast... Thats how I invision it. haha
Old 04-25-07, 05:53 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Please don't call it a NSX...
Old 04-25-07, 06:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You also have to factor in the fact that the IS-F is a derivative of a production car. It's easier to slap in a revised engine, suspension, and twitch the chassis, than it is to start from ground up with a completely new engine platform and drivetrain.

The Supra talk has also been in talks for years. We just dont know when any of these super cars will come out.
Old 04-25-07, 06:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like the Supra redering for 09...
Old 04-25-07, 07:04 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You also have to factor in the fact that the IS-F is a derivative of a production car. It's easier to slap in a revised engine, suspension, and twitch the chassis, than it is to start from ground up with a completely new engine platform and drivetrain.

The Supra talk has also been in talks for years. We just dont know when any of these super cars will come out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Supra speculation has been from car enthusiasts and magazines and not straight from Toyota right? Toyota has been pretty mum on whether they will even come out with a Supra successor. OTOH, Honda and Nissan have been showing concepts of the GT-R and NSX for several years now.
Old 04-25-07, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Supra speculation has been from car enthusiasts and magazines and not straight from Toyota right? Toyota has been pretty mum on whether they will even come out with a Supra successor. OTOH, Honda and Nissan have been showing concepts of the GT-R and NSX for several years now.
This is 100% correct. Toyota has said NOTHING about a new Supra, but everyone and their momma has speculated about it.

Old 04-25-07, 07:56 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already nailed the concept with the HSC, now they come out with this crap. When did Bangle start working for Honda?
Old 04-25-07, 08:29 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

lol. you cant be serious. please dont compare the is-f to the gt-r. m3- sure, but leave the gt-r out of it.

you just cant compare the is-f project to the gt-r project.

or well, you can if you want...

Last edited by Tekknikal; 04-25-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The HSC was best.
Old 04-25-07, 10:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If that rumour is true, and Honda manages to achieve that, it will be quite remarkable. If anyone can make a high HP, fuel efficient, clean emissions engine, it's Honda or Toyota.

Quick Reply: Japan Report: Acura NSX Powertrain Taking Shape . . .