Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Subaru Swap Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07 | 07:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if the power on the camry is going to increase like how it did for the new gen, inexpensive AWD system will have to be put in at sometime. I can see it now
Old 04-28-07 | 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if the power on the camry is going to increase like how it did for the new gen, inexpensive AWD system will have to be put in at sometime. I can see it now
And, don't forget, AWD systems, because of added weight and drag, take both power and gas mileage from the engine. It is one of the compromises you have to make for the added traction and stability....the others being more maintenance and potential boots/CV/universal joints to fail.
Old 04-28-07 | 01:45 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Cant wait to see some hood scoops on a lexus
Old 04-28-07 | 01:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Subaru's AWD system, apart from being durable and reliable, is famously known for being a very compact system. Toyota might be looking into designing a new compact AWD system for use with it's V6 FWD models.

Offering AWD on the Camry in North America for instance would take away one of the only advantages that some competitors have over the Camry.

This bit of news also adds some credence to the rumour of an upcoming AWD, rally-inspired Toyota model.
Old 04-28-07 | 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Subaru's AWD system, apart from being durable and reliable, is famously known for being a very compact system. Toyota might be looking into designing a new compact AWD system for use with it's V6 FWD models.

Offering AWD on the Camry in North America for instance would take away one of the only advantages that some competitors have over the Camry.

This bit of news also adds some credence to the rumour of an upcoming AWD, rally-inspired Toyota model.

not really, since subaru is one of the last companies in the world that do completly mechanical awd system, without ESP/VSC. I wouldnt be suprised if they finally integrate ESP/VSC with Toyota's help.

I really dont see where would Toyota use old school Subbie systems. If I can see anything happening it is Toyota's awd going into subbies.

And >90% of Toyota vehicles in Japan already have AWD - including Camry.

Despites mmarshals claims of Subaru AWD superiority, without ESP integration their AWD system is worst performer these days. It might be fine for track, but for real life, it is not. Braking, turning and just general performance in heavy rain, mud, dirt, ice and snow is inferior to basic esp enabled awd systems.

I have repeated this countless times before - when Autobild tested around 10 different AWD systems, from cheap cars like Fiat Panda (using Toyota's torsen-c), to BMW, Honda, MB, Suzuki, etc, etc, they found Subaru's performance worst in adverse conditions because it was only system without ESP integrated. Fiat Panda's system outperformed it in snow and ice. Sure it will put the power down, but it will not help you at all when braking or cornering.

What we might see here is Subaru finally getting $$$ to develop most advanced AWD systems in the world. It certainly isnt one right now.
Old 04-28-07 | 09:00 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joonsta
Please don't swap designers..
toyota needs to sit and talk with those designers because subaru is just getting uglier and uglier