Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Project 69 Chevelle SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 02:34 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
Great input guys. My neighbor across the street is a Buick Master Mechanic. He always has at least 3 old cars sitting in front of his car. Today he has a packard, jaguar and his 62 wildcat in front. He wants to keep my car completely stock while my other buddy who just finished his 66 nova want me to do something totally wild. Im in the middle like Indio suggested. I was thinking of putting a 427 in there by my neighbor told me that its REALLY heavy and would take much more to stop the car and what not. I would like to replace the drum brakes for rotors. I would love to go with a 396 from a 69 and have the engine rebuilt. I know I'm all over the place with this thing. I am definitely not trying to cut corners here though. I would plan to keep this thing forever. Luckily for me, and other chevy owners, there seems to be a plethora of parts to restore this girl. Unfortunately for us Chevy owners due to a rise in interest in these cars it's going to be kinda pricey.

I dont even know what color to go with either!!! Daytona Yellow is an original color for this girl. I was even thinking about a nice orange. Lipstick red always does these cars right. Maybe even a nice Copper or Tangerine. Im really leaning a Charcoal Grey. Not sure about the ralley stripes. This thing did have a Tonneau Cover. DECISIONS DECISIONS.

I'm glad that there are a few of you out there that know about these cars. I turn my head for classics. I brake for these things.

Todays crate motors are built with modern parts that will address the problems of old that Marshall mentioned, lower compression to run on unleaded pump gas, electronic ignitions and even fuel injection if you can handle the cost, 350 is out imo as is 454, but the difference in weight between a 396 and 427 is probably minimal with the 427 being more performance based, as far as stopping, unless you have a numbers matching, rare high dollar original that is all there no reason to limit yourself to old tech, oem musclecar suspension and brakes suck, the word for this is restomod, your car looks original but drives like today, there are a number of companies that make BBK such as SS Brakes and Wilwood, as for cost consider yourself lucky, GM has the lowest cost to buy and restore of the big three, I have Mopars and they are the most expensive to buy and restore, you have plenty of time before commiting to a color, take your time, attend some car meets to get a better idea of what certain shades look like in the real world, a rare but nice part to look for would be a Cowl Induction hood, good luck.
Old 04-29-07, 03:24 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Todays crate motors are built with modern parts that will address the problems of old that Marshall mentioned, lower compression to run on unleaded pump gas, electronic ignitions and even fuel injection if you can handle the cost
Thats exactly what I want. OEM looks and all but with todays smart muscle as I'd like to call it. I've been pondering the color for a good 10 yrs now (or as long as its been that I wanted one of these) and you're def right. Ill wait til its the last thing to do.

Originally Posted by Indio
there are a number of companies that make BBK such as SS Brakes and Wilwood,
I was thinking the wilwoods.

I'm going to my garage today. Ill take pics of how she is now and post today. Hopefully I can keep posting pics for everything that is done to her.