Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Refueling - Loaner car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 10:44 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
It varies from dealer to dealer.

My dealer has me sign a gas form which says I will bring loaner back with same amount of gas, but I'm always running late and forget to stop at gas station. I have never been charged.
Yea I have to sign that form too. But Ive never brought it back with less than it had... Might try it some time! lol
Old 04-28-07, 11:21 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I asked my Lexus dealer (Ray Catena Oakhurst) if they expected me to refill the tank, and they told me not to bother. With my last car, the Audi dealer expected to get the loaner back with the same amount of gas -- it was on the form I signed.
Old 04-28-07, 11:44 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

It really depends on the dealer. I've tried 5 different dealers in the Southern Calif area and out of the 5, 2 have asked me to bring it back w/the amount of gas I've used. If they ask, I refill but if they don't say anything, I don't. AND if they ask, I always refill with premium gas (91 octane) because I don't think it's right that just because it's a loaner, I should jack up their car w/reg gas. It's a matter of courtesy hence the term "courtesy car".
Old 04-28-07, 11:45 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Hell no!!! hahahah I always get a full tank, and I return it with an empty tank...
Old 04-28-07, 11:49 AM
dan206
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They take a CC # here when you get a loaner so I assume they charge your *** when you take it back without what it was left with. Stupid i know when you get raped on service fees. I have never tried but maybe next time i will be curious to try it out.
Old 04-28-07, 12:18 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dan206
They take a CC # here when you get a loaner so I assume they charge your *** when you take it back without what it was left with. Stupid i know when you get raped on service fees. I have never tried but maybe next time i will be curious to try it out.
All the service department at Stevens Creek ask for is a copy of DL. They ask who your insurance provider is and your on your way!
Old 04-28-07, 03:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

What's funny is that those of you who get a car with a full tank and bring it back empty think you're saving money... You're not. Dealers are in the business of making money, they have accountants that go through the books at the end of the year and see where they're making money, where they're not, and where they can improve. If/when they see a trend where they're spending more than they'd like to fill up loaner vehicles with gas, they simply raise their service fees. Either way, they'll make their money back from you.
Old 04-28-07, 03:56 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's not pretend that the dealer is eating the cost of gas for those too lazy/inconsiderate to return the car the way they got it. It's being passed on. I think the way someone takes care of things that aren't theirs speaks volumes about their character.
Old 04-28-07, 04:37 PM
mog79
Rookie

Default loaner

i guess it varies from location to location but i would think one would return it at the same level of gas and fill it up with premium since that's what you would fill your own car with. unless you don't use premium with your IS then oh wells. but that's what i do.
Old 04-28-07, 09:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i fill the tank back up to where it was when it left the dealership. if someone's nice enough to at least give me some gas when i leave the dealership, i should be nice enough to give the next guy the same amount of gas - if not more - that i got. guess you can call it the golden rule for loaners.
Old 04-29-07, 09:48 AM
vr666m
Rookie

Originally Posted by 250-awd
I was at my dealer a few days ago and they gave me a brand new ES350 as a loaner and had the ***** to ask me to return it with a full tank since the tank was full when i picked it up. I couldn't believe my ears, i filled it up alright, at the crappiest service station i could find with nothing but their finest regular 87 octane.
you are one cheap a$$ SOB to be driving a luxury car.
Old 04-29-07, 03:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I always fill it back to the point I got the loner.
Old 04-29-07, 03:34 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

we have BMW and Lexus, and we always filled up the gas to the same line as to when they loaned it to us.

Just common courtesy I guess.
Old 04-29-07, 03:35 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

on the side note, I guess we pay a nice service fee for their HDTV, free soda/coffee and nice couches at the waiting area!
Old 04-30-07, 08:25 AM
illawgical
Driver

Did anyone else here buy their car at Magnussen in Fremont, CA? I think for such a successful dealership... it sucks that we have to drive loaner cars distributed by Hertz. I think it'd be more professional if they had genuine Lexus loaner cars to distribute to their customers.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.. since we have loaners from Hertz, we're required to fill it back up to where it was originally, or they charge us $5.55 or something like that for a gallon.

Quick Reply: Refueling - Loaner car