Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Refueling - Loaner car

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 10:41 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we get the loaner car we refuel the car to the same level of gas it had before we got it...make sense to leave the car the same way.
Old 04-25-08, 06:15 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oakhurst in Lexus didnt say anything about refueling the loan so I didnt. It had a full tank when I got it.
Old 04-25-08, 06:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by optsgirl
Do you guys refuel your loaner car before you bring it back.

I always do, because they never ever have any gas in them.

Depends what they require. If not, I do not. Very commendable of you to do so, since no one seems to give you the same courtesy.
Old 04-25-08, 06:24 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Never done it, never been charged. I've had loaners for up to 5 days so I've had to fill it up just because I have run out of gas, but that's it. And I use 91 when I do. It's not like the $4 a tank difference is going to destroy my livelihood.
Old 04-25-08, 06:25 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was loaned an RX the other day, And the tank was pretty much bone dry.. (display said 20 miles cruising to empty, and my commute is 40 miles both ways) ..and that is exactly what i brought it back with.
Old 04-25-08, 06:32 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Why should Lexus pay for your gasoline??? The idea of a loaner car is to compensate you for the loss of your own car while it is being serviced. If you are driving your own car you pay for your own gas, so you should also do the same in the loaner car they give you. If you had a loaner car for an extended period (say a week) and drove more than a tankful you wouldn't expect Lexus to reimburse you for the gas you put in it, would you? Let's not be so cheap that we kill these nice perks. Lexus is in the business to make money, and providing a loaner car is a nice thing, but let's not abuse the service.
I agree!!! A loaner car is a courtesy and I have no problem returning it with the same amount of fuel that I received it with. Most dealers obtain your credit card number in advance and will charge a premium per gallon if not returned with the same amount. The CC number also acts to provide re-imbursement for any damage. I guess we all have different mindsets, but I am really shocked that some people would expect the world to revolve around them and bit"h and wine about having to top off.
Old 04-25-08, 07:45 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

The dealership I go to doesn't have me sign an agreement to return the loaner car w/ the same amount of gas or ask me to put gas either. I put gas if needed and if it requires premium then I put premium. There has been times that the tank was pretty much full and I returned it empty.
Old 04-25-08, 09:02 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

It has been said that class is doing the right thing when no one is looking. Putting in 87 on a loaner car that requires 91 is a classless act. It only affects next guy who is loaned that car who may suffer a performance loss, and indirectly discourages people from buying that model which hurts the local dealership, who was only trying to provide better customer service.
Old 04-25-08, 09:27 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why anyone puts 87 gas in a car that requires 91 is beyond me? It's only like 20 cents difference at most; and if you fill the car up all the way, it's only $3.00!!!!!! If the tank is 15 gallons.

They never ask me to fill it up..I just do because it's the right thing to do! I also don't drive the **** out of the car either.
Old 04-25-08, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I can't beleive my eyes reading this... Not that they asked you to refuel it but becuase you're surprised... Hello... You're getting the car with a FULL tank, it only makes sence you return it that way. The fees you pay for your car being services is just that... Fees for YOUR car being serviced. A loaner car is a COURTESY car which you're getting for FREE and you expect to get a full tank of gas and return it empty?
YOU may get it with a full tank--I had a loaner in January that the low fuel light came on while on my way home from the dealer.
Old 04-25-08, 09:58 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
why anyone puts 87 gas in a car that requires 91 is beyond me? It's only like 20 cents difference at most; and if you fill the car up all the way, it's only $3.00!!!!!! If the tank is 15 gallons.

They never ask me to fill it up..I just do because it's the right thing to do! I also don't drive the **** out of the car either.
20 cents difference?? Where are you, because i'd like to order a tanker from there.

Here, premium is a minimum of $.30/gal upward price difference, and in some cases up to +$.50/gal difference.
Old 04-25-08, 10:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

My Lexus dealer actually told me not to fill it up after I brought it back filled back up the first time. But yes sometimes I got the car near empty which meant I had to fill it up.

My Audi and BMW dealer both specifically required I fill it back up, as does my friend's Acura dealer.

I suspect the Lexus dealer may have changed its policy though... last time I had my Lexus gas was $1.50-$1.70/gal.
Old 04-25-08, 10:06 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Most likely than not, the loaner is almost empty, and i get frustrated because i get charged by lexus 5 dollars and on top of that, i put in a few gallons myself. midgrade. lol
Old 04-25-08, 11:32 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My dealer charges $5 per day for the loaner, but you have unlimited miles and get the car with 1/4 tank of gas and can return it empty.
Old 04-25-08, 12:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

all the loaner cars I've ever had, they always asked me to bring it back with what was in it I honestly did not think people where that cheap that it would come down to trying to walk without putting gas back in the courtesy car that must be like seeing someone drop 20 bucks on the floor and you know it's theirs but you wait quietly until they walk away and then you go pick it up

Quick Reply: Refueling - Loaner car