Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shaq Attack: Metalworkers Make NBA Player's Lamborghini an XXL

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 04:33 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaq Attack: Metalworkers Make NBA Player's Lamborghini an XXL

Shaquille O'Neal needed some length added to his Lamborghini Gallardo. The 7-foot-1 basketball star fits a little more comfortably now.

Date posted: 04-27-2007

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. — Basketball great Shaquille O'Neal got special treatment for his Lamborghini Gallardo — a stretched version thanks to Gaffoglio Family Metalcrafters, a supplier for such corporations as the Boeing Company and PPG Aerospace Glass. The longer Lambo has 12 inches added through the middle, surely a relief for the 7-foot-1-inch athlete.

The Gallardo received custom extended doors, roof and side windows. The company says it strove to maintain the car's "visual integrity" with the changes. Glass fabrication was a particular challenge, the company said. "We relied on our aerospace and coachworks divisions to make sure Shaq could fit in the car, but the naked eye could not detect any differences from the original Gallardo," Gaffoglio CEO George Gaffoglio said.

What this means to you: Great minds working together help Shaq fit in his luxury car. Two points!

My question is, why a Gallardo and not a Murcielago? It's not like he doesn't make enough money...
Old 04-29-07, 05:42 AM
joonsta
Lead Lap

lol, that thing's hideous.

Super cars aren't supposed to be long...I bet that threw off the performance characteristics of the car a lot.

I'd still take the car if it was given to me...even though I would probably have a hard time reaching the gas pedal .
Old 04-29-07, 06:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Some people choose cars for looks, even if they have plenty of money. I know a guy down here who specializes in selling Lambos and other difficult to get (for lack of dealer) vehicles in Mexico, and he has had at least 1 client who had tons of cash but liked the Gallardo in design better.
Old 04-29-07, 07:02 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever... he seems to be a fool when it comes to spending money on cars... so, he can do what he wants.
Old 04-29-07, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Might have been easier to shorten his legs.
Attached Thumbnails Shaq Attack: Metalworkers Make NBA Player's Lamborghini an XXL-shaq.jpg  
Old 04-29-07, 07:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Wasn't Shaq the guy who spent like $25,000 on audio for an SUV (I am sure a lot of people have)?
Old 04-29-07, 10:35 AM
Lexwang07

Acting fool Shaq! Too lame an idea to make long wheelbase Lambo Gallardo Coupe! Shaq is must have everything XXL as big as his car collections!
Old 04-29-07, 01:19 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

I would have done this to the Murcielago if I was Shaq. It probably wouldn't have required as dramatic a stretch and would have appeared more natural.

This Gallardo doesn't look quite right.
Old 04-29-07, 02:24 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Overclocker
My question is, why a Gallardo and not a Murcielago? It's not like he doesn't make enough money...
Funny you should ask... isn't that a Gallardo in you avatar ? Personally, I prefer the look of the Gallardo over the Murcielago, anyway.
Old 04-29-07, 04:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are you guys ragging on Shaq? Anyone with the money he has can spend it anyway he wants. He will never be broke. It's just about impossible. This isn't the first time he's done this. I saw an article about a CLK he bought. He had it gutted and the entire interior had to be reworked to accomodate his length. He didn't add length to that car though. I say he can buy what he wants. He's a big kid. I would be too. Wait, I am a big kid.
Old 04-29-07, 04:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

his height is a curse at times, his house has to have extended ceilings too
Old 04-29-07, 07:02 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
Why are you guys ragging on Shaq? Anyone with the money he has can spend it anyway he wants. He will never be broke. It's just about impossible. This isn't the first time he's done this. I saw an article about a CLK he bought. He had it gutted and the entire interior had to be reworked to accomodate his length. He didn't add length to that car though. I say he can buy what he wants. He's a big kid. I would be too. Wait, I am a big kid.
I LOVE IT!!