Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler hybrids to be powered by Hemi engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07 | 01:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Chrysler hybrids to be powered by Hemi engines

Chrysler hybrids to be powered by Hemi engines

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Monday, April 30, 2007

Chrysler Group will power hybrid versions of the 2008 Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen SUVs with its brawny 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine, the company announced Monday.

The hybrid vehicles -- a first for Chrysler -- are slated to arrive in the marketplace next year and will feature a two-mode hybrid technology. The new Hemi hybrid engine should improve overall fuel economy in these vehicles by 25 percent and increase efficiency by nearly 40 percent in city driving.

"With the new Hemi-powered Chrysler Aspen Hybrid, we are delivering the ultimate combination of fuel efficiency, overall performance and capability in a premium full-size SUV," said Frank Klegon, Chrysler's executive vice president of product development, in a statement.

The Hemi hybrid engine will feature the multi-displacement system currently offered on the gas engine version that pumps 340 horsepower. Known as MDS, the fuel-saving feature shuts off four of the eight cylinders when the vehicle is operating in certain driving conditions.

The gas engine Hemi doesn't get more than 19 miles per gallon on the highway.

The hybrid Aspen and Durango can be powered either by the electric motors or by the Hemi V-8 engine or a combination of the two.

Chrysler's hybrid engine was developed through a three-way partnership with General Motors Corp. and BMW to develop hybrid technology. The companies are developing two-mode hybrid systems at the Hybrid Development Center in Troy.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...16/1148/AUTO01
Old 05-01-07 | 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know, Andrew. Time will tell.

We keep hearing about more and more "Hybrids" to come from domestic manufacturers (or, rather, domestic nameplates), but, with the exception of the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner Hybrids (which use Toyota technology under license), and the Saturn VUE and Chevy Silverado "Hybrids", which aren't really gas-electric hybrids at all, but basically just devices to shut the gas engine off at stops, Detroit has promised much in this field.......and delivered little.
Old 05-01-07 | 11:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Hmmm...this doesnt sound like a true hybrid (like the Toyota system). I read up on this Dual mode Hybrid thing twice, and I still dont get how its classified as a hybrid.

By the way while reading up about this, I saw that they just discontinued the GM Truck mild Hybrids, but will be introducing true hybrid SUV's later this year starting with the Tahoe/Suburban models.
Old 05-02-07 | 12:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
I saw that they just discontinued the GM Truck mild Hybrids, but will be introducing true hybrid SUV's later this year starting with the Tahoe/Suburban models.
Again, GFerg.....see my post above. Are those vehicles REALLY coming? I'll believe it when I see it....and drive it. Detroit has promised much in the way of hybrids, and delivered little.

For example, It took years for the Escape/Mariner Hybrid to finally make it to dealerships.....and then it turned out that Ford didn't even do most of the work on it to start with; Toyota did.

Toyota and Honda introduced Hybrids to the American market in 2000, have both introduced second-generation models, and are working on THIRD-generation models as we speak, while other companies are just talking a lot of PR stuff.
Old 05-02-07 | 05:07 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

If you were going to start producing hybrid drivetrains, wouldn't you think it'd be smart to start with an efficient engine? The "hemi" is anything but efficient.
Old 05-02-07 | 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
If you were going to start producing hybrid drivetrains, wouldn't you think it'd be smart to start with an efficient engine? The "hemi" is anything but efficient.
The present generation, non-SRT, Hemi shuts off the fuel to 4 cylinders at cruise, under light loads, to help gas mileage a little, but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
Old 05-02-07 | 07:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Those vehicles didn't sell to begin with and it wasn't just MPG at play...cough quality cough.
Old 05-02-07 | 08:15 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by GFerg
Hmmm...this doesnt sound like a true hybrid (like the Toyota system). I read up on this Dual mode Hybrid thing twice, and I still dont get how its classified as a hybrid.

By the way while reading up about this, I saw that they just discontinued the GM Truck mild Hybrids, but will be introducing true hybrid SUV's later this year starting with the Tahoe/Suburban models.

The two-modes are actual hybrids not like the BAS system that GM currently offers. Infact, they will be even superior to Toyota's current hybrid synergy drive technology since they provide fuel economy benefits even on the highway.