Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

V8-powered, RWD coupe from Hyundai ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07 | 08:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I can't believe noone sees the IS in the side and rear. And the front is basically Saturn Sky headlights with Aston grille.
Old 05-01-07 | 09:01 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Looks kinda like the new Jag design. Go Hyundai.
Old 05-01-07 | 09:42 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Hmm the 1st few seconds after seeing it, I say: its not too bad but after the intial "shock" has settle in. Its kinda fugly to me - The grille with the car looks like HELLO KITTY Crying or some type of Japanese Anime animal yelling and/or some type of Pokemon creature.. LOL Nasty!
Old 05-01-07 | 09:52 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

thats hot!

now.. if you were to fill the grille area with a FMIC... talk about intimidation (sp?)
Old 05-01-07 | 11:54 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Please don't disrespect Aston Martin like that...

That concept looks more like a Mazda RX-8, not a Vantage...

That Hyundai has a long LONG way to go before it can "look" like an Aston...
Oh come on! Besides the headlights, it looks NOTHING like the RX-8.

It shares a more similar body style with the Aston than it does with the RX-8. AND BY NO MEANS! am I saying this car is anything like the Aston other than a couple simple styling ques that I see. The large grill for one, looks something like the grill from the DB9.

Even the body looks very similar. I know that Aston and Hyundai are on COMPLETELY different levels. All I was saying was that this car had some feeling of Aston to it. That's all
Old 05-01-07 | 11:59 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Hmm the 1st few seconds after seeing it, I say: its not too bad but after the intial "shock" has settle in. Its kinda fugly to me - The grille with the car looks like HELLO KITTY Crying or some type of Japanese Anime animal yelling and/or some type of Pokemon creature.. LOL Nasty!
Are you trying to just bash Hyundai? because IMO, it looks nothing like a hello Kitty crying or any pokemon. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion?

I think it looks aggressive. And with a RWD V8, it just might be.
Old 05-01-07 | 11:59 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I can't believe noone sees the IS in the side and rear. And the front is basically Saturn Sky headlights with Aston grille.
I see the Sky headlights and the Aston grille...

but IS?
Old 05-02-07 | 06:49 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Jaguar CX-F
Old 05-02-07 | 07:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Oh come on! Besides the headlights, it looks NOTHING like the RX-8.
Here's what I see is very similar between the Hyundai and the RX-8:

Headlights
Fog light casing
Front bumper lip design
Elevated side skirts
Pronounced bulging front wheel /shoulders fenders (both are raised above the hood)
Angle of front windshield (the Aston is much much more raked)
5-spoke wheels

Therefore, the Hyundai and the RX-8 are like the Olsen twins. The Aston is Rebecca Rojmin...
Old 05-02-07 | 04:23 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Are you trying to just bash Hyundai? because IMO, it looks nothing like a hello Kitty crying or any pokemon. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion?

I think it looks aggressive. And with a RWD V8, it just might be.
Nah, I'm not bashing anything - its just my opinion - like you have yours - we all have opinions..
Old 05-03-07 | 10:48 AM
LexFather

Hyundai is coming and IMO, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo need to watch out...
Old 05-04-07 | 02:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hyundai is coming and IMO, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo need to watch out...
Yeah... Especially since their big RWD LS fighter with V8 will be cheaper than their Avalon fighter with V6

Old 05-04-07 | 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yeah... Especially since their big RWD LS fighter with V8 will be cheaper than their Avalon fighter with V6
Let's wait until the price "rumors" are over and ACTUAL pricing is announced before we say that.

Hyundai, like in the past, is still value-oriented, but the vast increase in quality since the late 90's has not come without a price...literally. Hyundai prices are up noticeably with their newest products, though not as much as with their quality.....that still makes them relatively good values. The company still has lower-than-average labor costs in its plants, but that new quality has come partly from more hours spent in enginering, higher-quality materials, and quality control on the assembly lines....all three cost money.
Old 05-04-07 | 06:53 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Looks good see a little Celica and Cougar in the design but its just an artist rendering.
Old 05-04-07 | 07:50 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's wait until the price "rumors" are over and ACTUAL pricing is announced before we say that.

Hyundai, like in the past, is still value-oriented, but the vast increase in quality since the late 90's has not come without a price...literally. Hyundai prices are up noticeably with their newest products, though not as much as with their quality.....that still makes them relatively good values. The company still has lower-than-average labor costs in its plants, but that new quality has come partly from more hours spent in enginering, higher-quality materials, and quality control on the assembly lines....all three cost money.
Yeah the exchange rate for the won is killing them too. Even they are commenting on the fact that whereas they used to have a 15% price advantage it is down to around 5% now.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lincoln, Saab and Volvo are going down fast. Not sure they need anyone else's help to continue dying.

Acura and Infiniti are interesting because they both seem to suffer from the parent company not investing enough in their brands. Not having a full line-up with the Q45 going MIA, the Q56 being an "ehhh" vehicle and lack of the GTR as their flagship is a problem. Heck, Nissan's problems may well bring down Infiniti even if their niche continues to do well. Acura continues with weak execution. Where is the NSX successor already? V8 flagship? Could definitely be tough times if Hyundai gets new product out quickly and revs it to customers demands.