Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The next-generation FORD F150 pick-up on test

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 06:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default The next-generation FORD F150 pick-up on test

Ford F150: the lowdown

It can be difficult for Europeans to comprehend the importance of full-size trucks to the health of the big American manufacturers. Cars like the F150 are some of the biggest sellers in the US - and the big three are reliant on continuing sales of these pick-ups to keep their meagre fortunes intact.

They're under attack as never before, especially from Asian manufacturers. If you saw Toyota unveil the new Tundra at this year's Detroit Auto Show, you'd have thought they ruled the roost in the full-size truck sector. Which is very much what they want to do.

So what's Ford's response ?

The new F150, that's what. It hopes that a revised, fettled and improved pick-up will claw back sales from its competitors. CAR Online was on hand when a trio of final confirmation prototypes were out on test near Ford's global HQ at Dearborn.

Although the cars were still wearing heavy disguise, you can make out a lot of detail that spills the beans on this, one of the Blue Oval's most important new cars in years.

So what's it like inside ?

Mention the words 'truck' or 'pick-up' to your typical European motorist and they'll look aghast, expecting shiny plastics and as much refinement as you get in a seedy student nightclub. The F150, and rival trucks, are slowly changing that belief, though, with a steady improvement in quality. Whereas the last model represented a huge leap forward, this time the improvements will be more incremental.

It might not have the ambience of Europe's latest Mondeo, but it does share that car's classy, chrome-ringed, round air vents, and we can make out some pretty upmarket equipment on these prototypes: cruise control, electric gadgets galore, a column-mounted automatic gearlever and (naturally) a flurry of super-sized cupholders. Very neat.

But will the F150 lug and carry and be tough as nails still? I don't want it too comfy

You bet. These cars had some cunning disguise in the loadbay to make the flatbed look less capacious than it really is; rest assured, with the foam padding removed it will offer a vast capacity.

Short cab, extended cab and four-door double cab bodystyles will be offered and under that disguise you'll see a traditional Ford, three-bar grille, a kinked waistline and many tips from the classic F150s of the past, according to our sources.

So when can I finally see the new F150 ?

We hear the latest F150 truck will be saved for America's biggest auto show - the Detroit show at the Cobo Arena, just down the road from the Blue Oval's main offices.

Words: Tim Pollard
source : carmagazine
Old 05-04-07, 06:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one company that has got to do something about exterior design. They are seriously at the end of their rope with SUVs...there is nothing interesting or innovative left.
Old 05-04-07, 06:46 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This is one company that has got to do something about exterior design. They are seriously at the end of their rope with SUVs...there is nothing interesting or innovative left.
I just wish the American companies would die already so they could restructure and come back offering some kickass products.
Old 05-04-07, 07:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current ford F-150/Lobo is a great looking truck
Old 05-04-07, 08:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah it is a handsome truck but the "ALL NEW" Expedition and Escape, the aging Explorer, and the ugly Freestyle aren't really winning over hearts. Considering their lackluster execution lately, if they restyle the F150 with a similarly half-a$$ed effort then I think it's going to be a problem.

They need to get it together.
Old 05-04-07, 10:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Yeah it is a handsome truck but the "ALL NEW" Expedition and Escape, the aging Explorer, and the ugly Freestyle aren't really winning over hearts.
MPLexus301 - the Explorer was all new for 2006. It gained many things over prior Explorers - a 6 speed auto with the V8, vastly quieter interior, upgraded engines, finally a decent nav system, etc.

How do I know? I own one. It's not a Lexus but then it didn't cost anywhere near as much. I've had mine a year. Zero problems.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The current ford F-150/Lobo is a great looking truck
I own one of those too and it's been excellent. Super filthy right now (cuz it's my wife's and we rarely clean it and she hauls all kinds of crap in it.
Old 05-05-07, 04:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I am strongly opposed to this practice of hiding new vehicles under bras and covers. IMO, it is childish, unnecessary, and an personal insult to those, like us here at CL, who steadfastly follow the new car and truck market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-07 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-05-07, 08:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
MPLexus301 - the Explorer was all new for 2006. It gained many things over prior Explorers - a 6 speed auto with the V8, vastly quieter interior, upgraded engines, finally a decent nav system, etc.

How do I know? I own one. It's not a Lexus but then it didn't cost anywhere near as much. I've had mine a year. Zero problems.

I own one of those too and it's been excellent. Super filthy right now (cuz it's my wife's and we rarely clean it and she hauls all kinds of crap in it.
Well I guess that is sort of my point. Aside from a bit of additional chrome on the front end and new headlights and tail lights...the truck doesn't really look any different than the 2002. I had no idea that the 2006 was a redesigned model because it looks 90% the exact same as the car before it. Not saying its good or bad, or even bad looking because it certainly isn't, but I don't feel like Ford's styling is keeping up with the competition, who all seems to pull off more dramatic and noticeable redesigns. The "new" Escape, Explorer, and Expedition look only marginally different than the old ones and I doubt that the untrained eye could really tell the difference. Toyota has really started to create a unique design language with Trucks and SUVs, GM has done a nice job with it's new trucks and SUVs, a Dodge will always be a Dodge, and I feel like Ford needs to design more interesting and modern looking utility vehicles than it has been.

Just my .02.
Old 05-05-07, 08:51 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With half-ton trucks accounting for a major portion of US vehicle sales, this is probably the most hotly contested sector of the domestic market. Even though the real market is for the lower end "work trucks", manufacturers are putting more content in the price leaders than they did even ten years ago. Safety and practicality are available even in the lowest price ranges, while the standard bearers now range upwards of $35K in the top of the line models.

In the half-ton range, Chevy has gone to a sleek, more sophisticated look, while Dodge still wallows in the half-conceived "big rig" styling it began some years ago. Chevy looks expensive while Dodge manages to still look cheap. Toyota has done a great job on its first outing, but needs street cred to be a hit. That I-Force powerplant is a nice, if pricey start.

Ford OTOH has put all three on the trailer with the latest iteration of the F 150 that follows the "Super Chief" show truck they unveiled a couple years ago. The current model is, simply put, BRUTAL in appearance. If testosterone sells trucks, Ford will peddle everything they can paint.
Old 05-05-07, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Well I guess that is sort of my point. Aside from a bit of additional chrome on the front end and new headlights and tail lights...the truck doesn't really look any different than the 2002.
The F150 or Explorer? If you see either with the prior gens side by side there's no comparison, but hey, if you don't see it, fine. I mistake the LS460 for a Camry from behind on the highway too.

but I don't feel like Ford's styling is keeping up with the competition, who all seems to pull off more dramatic and noticeable redesigns. The "new" Escape, Explorer, and Expedition look only marginally different than the old ones and I doubt that the untrained eye could really tell the difference.
I agree they haven't changed dramatically, but sometimes people don't want major changes. Having said that, the Ford Edge and Fusion are significantly different from anything they've done before.

Toyota has really started to create a unique design language with Trucks and SUVs,
If you say so. Highlander is hopelessly boring. New LX570 is awful. RX350 looks good but NOTHING like those others so I don't see a 'language' except gibberish. Tundra is ok although the big chrome 'arch' on the front is a little too obvious an effort to be macho, more like something Dodge would do.

GM has done a nice job with it's new trucks and SUVs,
Agreed.